Author Topic: Dang WTH Happened to the Numbers???  (Read 23880 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Dang WTH Happened to the Numbers???
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
since wep is no longer replaced when rearming its prob less common than you think.

I dont recall when WEP was reset when landing, but maybe im just getting old.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2020, 01:12:23 PM »
Is there any way for us to factually determine how many people that get 4+ kill per sortie have done so via the rearm pad?

It is possible that our perceptions are inaccurate.  Lets use science and facts if we can.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2020, 01:39:28 PM »
Is there any way for us to factually determine how many people that get 4+ kill per sortie have done so via the rearm pad?

It is possible that our perceptions are inaccurate.  Lets use science and facts if we can.  :salute

This really matters to you. Meh.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »

no
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »
it is all good man. there is a lot of fun to be had in the mornings when all of us base stealers log in...no enemy = easy steal. but it is fun. its still a great game and the ones that know it and enjoy it know it. I am glad you are trying again. nothing is perfect guys but this is so much fun. you know it is!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »

Considering 90% of players have less than a 2 K/S on avg, id say hardly anyone uses the re arm pad effectively for it to matter.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2020, 09:05:51 PM »
:airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:

So, just re-created an account and began to explore the game after a long absence. While I was never a great player, I had a lot of fun and flew with some pretty awesome pilots as well as hung with a few well known squads along the way.

WTH happened to the numbers??, less than 100 players in three massive countries? Looks like it is taking hours of flying and dying just to get into a decent fight. How the heck are the squads doing???

When we once had 1000's playing from several countries, enough on at one time to find a fast and good fight, or a long range full theater war lasting several days? What I have see so far is pretty dismal by comparison.

Dale - HiTech answering the phone himself, I made several calls to the 'office' recently, wow!

Correct me if I remember wrong but when I started playing AH the game in 2008 was much tighter with less complexity. Meaning, my first experience was entering a small training arena, not multi-level platforms with one-on-one area, bombing ranges, and the other 'separate' ways to train: it was one arena to meet-n-greet newbs, recruit talent, and sometimes just hang out and help less skilled pilots strengthen their wings, literally! There was community created in that small venue of interested game players, or at least that is how I remember it.

I read through some of the most recent discussions about game play, the current state of affairs, and the loathing about low numbers and difficult times. Seems to me that the vastness of the game, being oriented to what was once a massive membership, is part of the current problem along with a seemingly stubborn commander-n-chief: HiTech. Perhaps less could be more, and could a change help make things better, if we can get a consensus from the tribe?

With so few players and the size of the current game, perhaps things could be adjusted back to a much tighter and less complex footprint so that 100 players could engage in a decent fight without blowing hours on a few skirmishes, or for the newbs, flying what seems like a lifetime across sectors just to die in a few seconds because what is waiting is a group of much higher ranked players. Losing a few fights is and should be part of the tempering process while learning the game, but being slaughtered for weeks before getting enough experience to land a single kill does not lend itself to player retention, right? If we chase off the newbs the game falls flat, kinda like the quire sinning only to itself when a audience is required to keep things going.

When I left game back in 2013 one of the reasons was the issues associated with key players dominating the game, padding their stats at the expense of newer player retention. Some of you will argue, "that's war, nothing is far" and to some degree you are correct, it is about fighting each other in a air war theater, but it is also about the reality side of being a member of a community of gamers, so both must be part of the discussion on how to regrow the game, even if Dale Hitech won't listen right now, he cannot deny that AH was once a fantastically populated and well played game, he must listen to us if he's to survive.

So, let me ask you this basic question, how much fun are you having in the game right now? Is if fun padding your stats, if that's you goal, by continually dominating a very small population of gamers on AH? I remember asking this question to one of the more notorious gamers back in 2012 and at that time there were 1000's playing. At that time a few squads were in near complete domination of most fights and that player lamented the only thing interesting was watching the stats grow. I'd watch this player tear through furballs killing at will, and landing multiple kills over and over, or sneak bases and so on, but on the human side of things, the player was basically board with the direction AH was going at the time. I cannot imagine, and I will ask when I encounter that player - if still playing, what the game is like today.

Less-is-more in a lot of things we humans engage in. Restrictions stimulate interests and enhance creativity, this is not speculation its a proven fact. Perhaps the answer to resolving the fast downward spiral of AH is to scale it back to a much tighter arena(s), seriously address the ENY situation (read a lot about this, it seems to be a part of the problem), and work on both the human and gamer aspects if the game.

Lastly, if you are a veteran of AH with high marks and a good standing in the game, please think back to your first encounters in the game, learning to fly, engaging other players, the first legit kill in your gun sights and the thrill of it all. Don't misunderstand what I have written as a plead for fairness in the game play, it's not about that. What I am asking is to fairly reflect and analyze the current game and how your personal influence might assist in growing the numbers again so we get back some of the fame-n-glory that was once AH, to retain new players by capturing their interest in hanging with it, inspiring them to learn a grow, and to recruit their friends.

I'll be out there, being the fodder for better pilots, eating lead like a twenty dollar hooker, and happily playing the game as it is. But, I hope this post generates some serious thought and dialog about how we can help change the game and get those numbers back up so more gamers can enjoy the fantastic game as it was intended. 

:salute

I came back for about a month,  after an absence of 8 years, (spent about 4,000 bucks on A COMPLETE up-to-date RIG to play this game in particular).... I actually enjoyed the game maybe 3 hours out of that month.  I've spent almost all my flying time on DCS.

I have always absolutely loved this game and the work that went into it, on all fronts.  The community, however, is no longer there.  The engagements are terrible in the main.  Of course, this is my opinion and may not represent anyone else's.  But, when I find myself logging in to grab 20 K just to find an -even- fight...... well, the fun left.  I found myself flying at 5K trying to lure someone into a fight for two hours..... everyone that bounced me either got the kill on the first dive, or was gone after one reverse.  The best fight I found was someone sticking around until ALMOST CO-E....then they dropped the nose and were gone.  It's just boring, TBH.   The most fun I had was in the scenario in the Summer.... and that even had dismall numbers.

Base takers leave if one person shows up to defend....nobody wants a fight, they just want the stats.  It's a sad state for a once amazing game that I've been into since 1998 when I was paying by the hour on dial up.

I agree, the "JACKWAZD LANDED 7 KILLS" message needs to go away.  It does nothing to move gameplay in a positive fashion, and likely rewards tactics that are just boring in an online experience.  Score dweebs can see their score if they want to.     

Something really has to be done in order to put the fun back in.  I'm sticking around to see if anything happens, but that isn't indefinite. 
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »
My old machine that I just replaced, played this game great. It ran a first gen i5 with 16 gigs ram on a gigabyte g55 mb. I ran different GPS on it over the years. This game does not take much to run it. That machine was almost as old as this game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2020, 09:18:53 PM »
My old machine that I just replaced, played this game great. It ran a first gen i5 with 16 gigs ram on a gigabyte g55 mb. I ran different GPS on it over the years. This game does not take much to run it. That machine was almost as old as this game.
And none of that has anything to do with his post other that he was willing to invest money FOR the game. Not because it NEEDED it, but because he WANTED to.

The whole point your avoiding is that game now allows poor game play to be the norm. Running from a "fair" fight at 5k  after flying around an hour, or after blowing a merge they dive out and away, base takers running away if a single player shows up to defend.

The whole point of his post was to point out how after being away from the game for 8 years he finds that it is boring as hell because nobody wants to fight any more. Whats with the sugar coating Shuff?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2020, 09:32:51 PM »
I agree, the "JACKWAZD LANDED 7 KILLS" message needs to go away.  It does nothing to move gameplay in a positive fashion, and likely rewards tactics that are just boring in an online experience.  Score dweebs can see their score if they want to.

Agreed.  It encourages poor game play.

...and yet...I'm never the one who lands seven kills, so it might just be envy...

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2020, 09:34:35 PM »
And none of that has anything to do with his post other that he was willing to invest money FOR the game. Not because it NEEDED it, but because he WANTED to.

The whole point your avoiding is that game now allows poor game play to be the norm. Running from a "fair" fight at 5k  after flying around an hour, or after blowing a merge they dive out and away, base takers running away if a single player shows up to defend.

The whole point of his post was to point out how after being away from the game for 8 years he finds that it is boring as hell because nobody wants to fight any more. Whats with the sugar coating Shuff?

This game .takes about a 600 to 800 dollar machine was my point. He said he spent that to play this game. That would have been a terrible waste. Obviously it was for other games that take far more power.

So it does have to do with his post.

I said nothing about the runners.... we have always had them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2020, 10:46:14 PM »
This game .takes about a 600 to 800 dollar machine was my point. He said he spent that to play this game. That would have been a terrible waste. Obviously it was for other games that take far more power.

So it does have to do with his post.

I said nothing about the runners.... we have always had them.

How much did you spend on your new rig? Again it is irrelevant because he was talking about how the game has changed for the worst. His whole post had nothing to do with how much he spent other than pointing out he WANTED to invest in a good box to play what he THOUGHT was a good game, which unfortunately isn't quit as good as he remembers.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2020, 01:01:04 AM »
How much did you spend on your new rig? Again it is irrelevant because he was talking about how the game has changed for the worst. His whole post had nothing to do with how much he spent other than pointing out he WANTED to invest in a good box to play what he THOUGHT was a good game, which unfortunately isn't quit as good as he remembers.

changing for the worst is a perception.  just like I think it has changed for the better.  I am having way more fun now than when we had 1k players.  some others dont think so.

had fun tonight, had my  :ahand 1/2 the time. but I was able to get a couple of kills here and there. was a good night.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2020, 04:38:45 AM »

He said just for this game..... read. I stated it did not take that for this game. It is one of the big points of this game. It can be ran on a machine that is not that powerful. Much older machines can run it with ease. New folks might think it takes more than it actually does. It is good to clarify that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 04:43:27 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2020, 06:22:27 AM »
Lower numbers need smaller maps so there is less running and hiding and more forced engangements

MNM is the place to be for such an experience

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals