Author Topic: P-38 Assistance needed - labels and warnings stencils  (Read 550 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-38 Assistance needed - labels and warnings stencils
« on: November 12, 2020, 11:35:14 AM »
I noticed Greebo's excellent default P-38 skin files seem to have a full complement of the stenciled messages and warnings all over the aircraft.  I have searched for these and come up with these stencil placement guides from HobbyDecal, however even zoomed in I cannot actually make out the text.   Can anybody share better resources?  I used to have a great placement guide, which I think I got from Kev367th, but I can't find it anywhere.

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:40:08 AM by oboe »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: P-38 Assistance needed - labels and warnings stencils
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »
I'm having the same issue with the F6F, I found Fundekals had a decent download for them but I can only make out a few words here and there. Just checked and No P-38 on their site. I'll definitely be on the look for this one as well.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 11:54:49 AM »
Funny I was just looking thru the scalemates site last night looking for add-on kits for the new Tamiya 38 kits. Lots of cool stuff for them already! I'll get back to model building one of these days, bought the F/G and limited run H kits this year. Just adds to my stash of prolly almost 200 kits! Haven't built anything since the 90s but never really stopped collecting. Kids are out of the house now so that's getting closer!

Anyway, there are decal sets available of JUST the stencils that might not be available on a regular kit decal set if you wanted to add more detail.  Google them. I tried finding a more high res images of them but looking on my phone isn't much help. Hard to make out what the smaller ones say.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
Funny I was just looking thru the scalemates site last night looking for add-on kits for the new Tamiya 38 kits. Lots of cool stuff for them already! I'll get back to model building one of these days, bought the F/G and limited run H kits this year. Just adds to my stash of prolly almost 200 kits! Haven't built anything since the 90s but never really stopped collecting. Kids are out of the house now so that's getting closer!

Anyway, there are decal sets available of JUST the stencils that might not be available on a regular kit decal set if you wanted to add more detail.  Google them. I tried finding a more high res images of them but looking on my phone isn't much help. Hard to make out what the smaller ones say.

I haven't done a model in 25 years, are the stickers big enough to read. I was thinking that may be the only way to get some of these right.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
I haven't done a model in 25 years, are the stickers big enough to read. I was thinking that may be the only way to get some of these right.
I usually did 1/48 scale. With the technology of the day most of the smaller type stencils were blurry gibberish even with a magnifying glass but from a distance it looked official enough. I'd think with modern printing tech they'd be much clearer. Like you, it's been a while so I really don't know. I'm sure Oboe is probably putting together a stencil layer. If you can find the info why not do it up?

Yaknow guys I keep up with the hobby by checking out the Hyperscale site. Those guys are hard core super talented model builders. Amazing stuff they put out. They get into crazy drawn out discussions about research of---pick a plane or vehicle! Not a member there so I can't post but if any of you are I'd say ask on that site and if there's an answer to Oboe's question, they're gonna be the guys that have it for sure.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
I used the same Hobbydecal diagrams that you found Oboe. Even at 2048 res the P-38 stencil text is only a couple of pixels high so you don't really need to know what it says. I just copied the line count and word spacing from it. I can't find my source for the F6F stencils now but I likely used a similar decal sheet diagram for that too.