Author Topic: Realism versus playability, playability versus realism  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Realism versus playability, playability versus realism
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
then i feel I'm being targeted cause they sure don't run away from me.

semp

They probably feel they ran into an easy target and engage.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2020, 05:30:30 PM »
They probably feel they ran into an easy target and engage.

They do with me and more often than not are right.  :D

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »
then i feel I'm being targeted cause they sure don't run away from me.

semp

Do you stream? Id like to see a late night in aces high through your goggles.  Fridays being the exception after FSO, and i dont even know if that still happens, my late night experience is similar to AKAK.

While the smaller maps do seem to help make it less noticeable, 2 countries would create the biggest positive impact.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »
He could submit an unedited .ahf, yes?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2020, 07:28:39 PM »
Do you stream? Id like to see a late night in aces high through your goggles.  Fridays being the exception after FSO, and i dont even know if that still happens, my late night experience is similar to AKAK.

While the smaller maps do seem to help make it less noticeable, 2 countries would create the biggest positive impact.

just come over to 152 on knights. I'm usually there almost every night around 9pm pst.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
Id like to see things change in the coading so that players are "forced" to play right.

Forced really isnt the word, but hear me out. When I started to play this game, and others like Warbirds and Air Warriors, I was looking for the whole package. I wanted to fly in a group of fighters be it top cover for a group of buffs, or a advance scouting group hunting for the enemy. I wanted to fly in massive bomber raids and flatten whole country sides while fighting off attacking fighters. When the GVs came to the game I wanted to run in a tank line to attack a base, town, convoy, or be in a group that pulled off an ambush on attacking tanks. FLying cap over my CV group as we had other elements attacking a shore base. All of these things are what I call "playing the game right", or maybe what the game was designed to be played like.

When HTC put in base capture in were they thinking  that NOE, or horde runs to grab bases was what they were looking for and expecting or were they thinking more along the lines of players working together to attack with coordinated attack plans or maybe organized defense plays?

When they added the bombers where they picturing massive attack groups flying across the map fighting their way there and back against defenders, or were they looking for those bomb and bail runs or the NOE carpet bomb runs that nobody cares whether they survive as long as they knocked down a few buildings?

I think that is where things have gone wrong in the game. Far to many players looking for short cuts have basterized the game. What happened to the players who came into the game and spent hours in the training arena or going head to head dueling other players over and over again to get better at the game instead of looking for ways to cut corners?

The game STILL has all of these great elements. I just wish HTC could re-coad some of it so players would have to use it more like I think it was meant to be used. 

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
All of these things are what I call "playing the game right", or maybe what the game was designed to be played like.

Each of us is a prisoner of what we think "playing the game right" should mean.  Classic distinctions are the divergences between the game-is-a-sport crowd, the game-is-a-team-effort-to-win crowd, and the game-is-a-sim-of-real-war crowd.  There is no one correct answer.  Never has been.  The arguments go way back.

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2020, 09:34:38 PM »
I just wish HTC could re-coad some of it so players would have to use it more like I think it was meant to be used.

And a dozen or more players wish their vision of the game could be coded to force other players to play the way they want them to. But that's not a realistic answer. All the things you describe are possible. HT codes possibility. It's up to the players to take advantage of the game the way they see fit. And they will, whether it's what we desire or not is another thing entirely.

Having said that, Trev organizes 8th Air Force style heavy bombing raids in the MA. I will gladly CAP a CV that needs it, when it needs it (even as a CAP of one). I'm sure there are tankers that wanna roll against other tankers in a thunderous ground battle. But I won't force anyone to do something they don't want to and I sure won't ask HT to force them for me. I'm more of the inspire and lead type (or help others when they inspire and lead type). Sometimes you just gotta do it and hope others will follow.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 09:08:45 PM »
And a dozen or more players wish their vision of the game could be coded to force other players to play the way they want them to. But that's not a realistic answer. All the things you describe are possible. HT codes possibility. It's up to the players to take advantage of the game the way they see fit. And they will, whether it's what we desire or not is another thing entirely.

Having said that, Trev organizes 8th Air Force style heavy bombing raids in the MA. I will gladly CAP a CV that needs it, when it needs it (even as a CAP of one). I'm sure there are tankers that wanna roll against other tankers in a thunderous ground battle. But I won't force anyone to do something they don't want to and I sure won't ask HT to force them for me. I'm more of the inspire and lead type (or help others when they inspire and lead type). Sometimes you just gotta do it and hope others will follow.

Yup, all things are possible" however with the player base we have now it will NEVER happen with out a little coading help from HTC.

I truly believe that the builders/designers of this wonderful game wanted an EPIC battle game using extremely well modeled WWII equipment to create the types of game play I described above. I doubt they had NOE carpet bombing suicide runs as a top mission, nor did they look forward to the "tank battles" being nothing but a bunch of spawn camping. PLAYERS made this game what it is now. And what it is now is a slowly dying combat game.

HTC cant wait for the players to change how they play. Running from fights, avoiding combat.... in "the premier combat game"  :rolleyes: bomb and bail, and combat "maneuvering" that pretty much consists of HO and runnnnnnnnnn! The need coading that promotes battles, missions, battle plans, group/squad tactics and so on. Not this horde or run mentality we have today.

The game has lost a lot of the depth it use to have due to players looking to cut corners instead of investing the time to learn to get better. The more these players basterize the game the fewer and fewer players we have, as well as the fewer players that stay when the come into try the game. New players are faced with a big learning curve, and on top of that all they see are hordes rolling bases which they are either under getting crushed, of part of and manage to do nothing as the "Aces" drop everything they need in a single pass. Or maybe they decide to fight and have their butts handed to them by the sharks that hover over any fight to pick and run to rack up a kill count so they look cool when they land.

If coading is added to slow the sharks, and add the depth maybe more of those newbies would stay. On the other hand HTC could totally ignore any thoughts they might have had for the game and just add air spawns, nukes and bring back F3 mode to match all the other crap arcade games out there.

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
The new radar introduced some time ago was the big thing that made me unsubscribe.
You will not even enjoy that exact  instant radar on modern fighter since it has no 360 degree radar, without a high altitude AWAC on-top.

You cannot even hide behind a mountain, which in turn will render any high-eny plane pretty much a target since it cannot run or dogfight anything.

The "old" radar was wwII realism at it's core, the new 'AWACS' radar, even though it has short range, is even better than an ASEA radar on modern planes which have only 120 degree FOV and can not see though mountains.
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »

It makes it hard to hide. Better to find fight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
It makes it hard to hide. Better to find fight.
how hard it is to know red means towards bad guys on map? blow stuff up till a plane ups, boom  fight, do it with a few guys, boom big fight
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »
how hard it is to know red means towards bad guys on map? blow stuff up till a plane ups, boom  fight, do it with a few guys, boom big fight

So you quit because planes can see you?

I played last night and had as much fun as I did 20 years a go.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 06:39:51 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
So you quit because planes can see you?

I played last night and had as much fun as I did 20 years a go.
Q U I T? my guy who said that, im a full time student, i dont have to time to play much, i peep in every now and then.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2020, 06:11:09 AM »
Q U I T? my guy who said that, im a full time student, i dont have to time to play much, i peep in every now and then.

LOL I see now... you quoted save.
80th FS "Headhunters"