Author Topic: VKB MCG stick: Initial impressions & setup questions  (Read 4174 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: VKB MCG stick: Initial impressions & setup questions
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »
Update:  I love this joystick.  All the issues I had were the result of me not being careful enough and not fully understanding setup, was too used to the simplicity of the CH.  The only negative I now have is that I found 1 tiny lock washer missing that should be there, trivial.

It really is pretty easy to setup this stick in Aces high if you 1.  Carefully follow the calibration steps listed in the link you provided Drano.  And 2.  you carefully make sure the AH key mappings are consistent as you pointed out Easy.

Am very much enjoying the stick.  It holds calibration well now that I've correctly calibrated it.  It feels smooth and precise as you explained in detail Mayhem.

I swapped out the stock #20 springs for single #10 springs, and like you Bixby decided I like the hard center aviation cams better, at least for now.

Thanks everyone for your help in setting up, and understanding this thing better!

So good for now, I may be back for more tips if I decide to venture into the VKB software one of these days.   :salute

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2020, 03:50:03 AM »
One of my favorite functions on the MCG-Pro is the 8-way hat. All the hats have a center press. Long press that one and the hat changes from the 8-way hat to a two axis switch. I use that for elevator and aileron trim. In this mode a short press recenters them. Another long press takes you back to a regular view hat. Very handy.

I want to point something out about the Virpil Gear ... and it may be a deal breaker for some people like toe breaks. It has the same extra Push function as the VKB sticks but it goes off as soon as you move off center.

For example if I made my 8 way hat on my CM2 stick all directions and the center push up I couldn't use it to look up forward. I can press in and hold to look up but as soon as I move to look forward "UP" disengages even though I'm still pressing down on it as I move it up into the forwad. This is the same on all the Hats The push function can not be used with that hat switches other directional functions but will work with another hat.

So if I have my throttles 8 way set to directions and the push to down and I set my Sticks 8 way to directions and the push to up I can use my sticks Up with my Throttle directions. and the Throttles down with sticks directions.

So in short Virpil's Hat Switch's PUSH does not work with the same Hat Switch's Directions even if pressed and held simultaneously.

I personally was disappointed in this myself. Love the stick but using push with direction on the same hat specially the 8 ways would have been awesome specially with views in aces high and Virpil overlooked it.

Hopefully they can fix this in Software/Firmware someday or at least keep it in mind for future products.

But now you know and knowing is half the battle.  :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:54:44 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
On CH gear I use the center button on front of the throttle for look_up.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »
I always used the pinkie button low on the front or side of the stick as the up view modifier on both the CH and now VKB sticks. Now that I'm using VR I mapped that button to toggle voice attack listening.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
On CH gear I use the center button on front of the throttle for look_up.

....interesting Shuff, same here, great minds must think alike huh?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »
....interesting Shuff, same here, great minds must think alike huh?

Normally.... but we are talking about me.... you might want to steer clear.  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the gladiator nxt with the premium grip?

Thanks
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion