Author Topic: Math is fun  (Read 1699 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Math is fun
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:54:59 PM »
Here's an idea to make piling on a bit less fun and encourage spreading the pain....

When a team has the required 20% of an opponent's bases plus 1 extra, downtimes are modified for attacks against that opponent. 

For example:

On a particular map, each team starts with 23 bases, so it takes 5 to own 21.7%.

When a team owns 6 of an opponent's bases (26.1%), downtimes for attacks on the 7th are reduced to 80% of the nominal time.  So a 30 minute downtime is adjusted to 24 minutes.

When a team owns 7 of an opponent's bases (30.4%), downtimes for attacks on the 8th are reduced to 60% of the nominal time;  30 minutes adjusted to 18 minutes.

And so on, down to 20% of nominal time.

(Fixed downtimes for hangars and fleets wouldn't be affected.)

This would make it progressively more difficult to capture bases after the required 20% (plus one).  So two teams ganging the third would have an incentive to switch to attacking each other after they had set up a "win the map" condition.  No forced base capture order, perks, or ENY involved.   :D

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 12:58:38 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: Math is fun
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
Might slow down the curb stomping for a bit. Some are just hell bent on taking as many fields as possible from one side regardless of the percent taken. I'm not sure the win matters to that type, they just want to roll the outnumbered team.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
A very interesting suggestion. I'll chew on that one a bit. On the surface it looks pretty good.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »
Might not be a bad idea and would maybe work better than ENY.

I often see the bish getting rekt by mid afternoon by both teams because they rek the other 2 teams during the off hours.  I saw the bish down to 5 bases the other day. The rooks were still going after them hard. Left no fights for the knights. Just didn't make sense, but again, you cannot arm chair general AH to get players to do what you want.

Perhaps even zones on the map that give higher perk bonuses would persuade a team to fight the other side. IDK.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
Might not be a bad idea and would maybe work better than ENY.

I see no relation between this and ENY, whatsoever.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »
late at night it takes 5 minutes to take a base.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 02:34:54 PM »
I think he was saying, as per "side balancing", this might actually have an affect. I dont think ENY matters to OP's ,"Those Kind" either.  I know it doesnt right now :rofl   I am talking about before...this time now  :huh Eh, I am confusing myself, now. Dang it Guthree :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
Sounds like a good way to slow the roll of something that is obviously lopsided.  I like your math.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »

If the goal of ENY restrictions is to limit a low #s team from being ganged on to lose bases, then making it harder to take bases from that team if they lost 20% of their bases would mirror that of the supposed purpose of ENY. If two teams with high #s are fighting each other. ENY restrictions only hurt those 2 teams who are fighting each other, thus not doing its intended purposes. Why should both teams be punished when they are in a big fight against each other? Making it harder to capture bases from a low #s side after losing 20% of its bases would only make it difficult to take more bases from that team, thus encourage players to fight the other side. Eny restrictions do not encourage the high #s teams to fight each other.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
It matters not what trail HiTech takes, someone is not going to like it.

I think this idea has merit. I am not sure how much work it would entail or if it is even a possibility in the game as it now is coded. I hope Hitech chimes in on this.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »
If the goal of ENY restrictions is to limit a low #s team from being ganged on to lose bases ...

Stop right there. I don't think the goal of ENY has anything to do with bases. Seems it's more of a plight of flight. The true example being, 'Oh wow, not only am I outnumbered four to one but they are all flying ENY 5 planes. Just don't get better than that.'

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 05:45:52 PM »
No.
Math is not fun.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 06:25:31 PM »
Stop right there. I don't think the goal of ENY has anything to do with bases. Seems it's more of a plight of flight. The true example being, 'Oh wow, not only am I outnumbered four to one but they are all flying ENY 5 planes. Just don't get better than that.'

In most cases in the MA,  one side of the current fight is already outnumbered 4 to 1 and they are already flying 5 eny planes and or fighters that should be [cough yak3 cough]. So realistically, ENY does not take specific fights into account anyway.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »
late at night it takes 5 minutes to take a base.

semp

not when I'm around... I make you take at least 6

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »
No.
Math is not fun.

:rofl

That's hilarious .s

In all seriousness, what some thought was killing the game helped fuel those ancient numbers up to 2017. Those changes made to MA such as hq and gv dar... Damn shame. When I see a post like this by popeye i cant help but say told you so to those who insisted the 49ers and company or gv'rs were killing the game. By trying to save it you have in effect killed it for so many. I know of around 50 full time players alone who left over that garbage.

The only solution in my not so humble opinion is a 2 sided war now :bolt:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster