Author Topic: March Vacation  (Read 1022 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
March Vacation
« on: December 17, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »
I'm scheduled for a one week vacation in mid March.  With free standby flights, I have an idea to visit Roswell, New Mexico and hopefully visit an international destination.

Any suggestions?  Close to continental United States.

I plan on 2 days one overnight in Roswell.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: March Vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 07:25:18 PM »
dont go to mexico.  not even during the day, not matter what they tell you.  lots of places around new mexico and arizona.  visit the painted desert if you like that sort of thing, been there several times, awesome.  if you havent been to the grand canyon, got there, you will get tired of it after 5 minutes but the train ride there it's pretty cool.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
What's the scoop on Mexico these days?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
What's the scoop on Mexico these days?

got family that lives in both tijuana and juarez, they told me not to come.  I wait for them to come here when they're on vacation.

semp

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 09:13:12 PM »
if you havent been to the grand canyon, got there, you will get tired of it after 5 minutes but the train ride there it's pretty cool.

True and false.  If you haven't been there, go see the Grand Canyon.  No matter how many pictures you saw in your geography text books, there is nothing like the awesomeness of actually being there.  Unless you are ADD, you will not get bored after five minutes.  Take one of the hikes down into the canyon.  Go stand on the plexiglass thing.  My kids jumped out onto different rocks, while their parents' hearts were in their throats.  It's an unforgettable experience.

- oldman (and take one of the helicopter rides into the canyon)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »

True and false.  If you haven't been there, go see the Grand Canyon.  No matter how many pictures you saw in your geography text books, there is nothing like the awesomeness of actually being there.  Unless you are ADD, you will not get bored after five minutes.  Take one of the hikes down into the canyon.  Go stand on the plexiglass thing.  My kids jumped out onto different rocks, while their parents' hearts were in their throats.  It's an unforgettable experience.

- oldman (and take one of the helicopter rides into the canyon)

wifey did the trail when she was young, she said it was fun.  me i had more fun at the hotel with the show and the train ride.

like somebody once said, if you want to experience the rapids take a cold shower and hit yourself with a bag of rocks.

semp

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
The train ride at the Grand Canyon :aok
Chako Canyon North of Grants New Mexico
Acoma Pueblo near Grants on top of a Butte there neighbors were Apaches
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:51:10 PM by 1Cane »
AkCaine

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 10:37:49 PM »
If you like skiing or mountains I would recommend Utah. There are georgeous sceneries on the slopes.

If you like hiking or site seeing with some decent shops. Sedona, AZ is a really cool place to visit. Going up to Germone is a lot of fun too.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 10:46:56 PM »
dont go to mexico.  not even during the day, not matter what they tell you.  lots of places around new mexico and arizona.  visit the painted desert if you like that sort of thing, been there several times, awesome.  if you havent been to the grand canyon, got there, you will get tired of it after 5 minutes but the train ride there it's pretty cool.

semp
I spent 3 weeks in the grand canyon last year. Thought it was one of the neatest ecosystems in North America. If you make it there you can also spend a few hours up north at the horseshoe bend. Very neat spot. Gotta use your legs and you'll find amazing things. Go beyond the tourist lookouts and you'll be amazed at the beauty you find

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »
I hear Canada is nice...
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 06:39:32 AM »
International from there for me would be Vancouver with a quick stop in Seattle to spend a few hours here:

https://youtu.be/FE903q84jcc

Canopy was open on the 109e when we visited and as the place was empty I stepped over the barrier and was able to walk up to the wing on the port side and peer in.

Took all I had not to jump into the seat for a minute

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 10:55:06 AM »
I would think roswell would be good for a day as most of the "alien" exhibits are just newspaper and other written things posted on the walls.

If interested in AZ the grand canyon will be in off season still and likely still cold with snow but way fewer crowds. Southern AZ. the Desert Museum is world class to learn about the sonoran desert and see critters native there. There is also the Pima Air museum and even tours of the boneyard at DM AFB in Tucson. Colossal cave is nice and not too expensive. Old Tucson has been shut down indefinitely and no longer has a lot of the old TV and movie set buildings they used to have anyhow. No one films there for outside scenes any more.

If you absolutely HAVE to go to some part of Mexico park on the US side in Nogales then walk across and look at the tourist trash. You are likely to not be bothered much if you do not dress flashy (read expensive clothes and a rolex watch). Stay in the main streets and avoid alleys especially if you have a pretty lady going with you. Leave before it gets dark. The cartels are notorious for robbery, kidnapping and extortion all practically in the open. The Federales are very much on the take but not to tourists.

The Phoenix area is a huge metropolis if you like big spread out cities. I avoided it for better than 20 years.

Sedona is a great place to visit but high altitude and will be cold then. Lots of touristy stuff dealing with the crystal loving folks and hippies.

Tombstone and Bisbee, nice places lots of history and the big mine in the mountain has tours going deep inside. Normal temperature is about 70 inside. Pretty interesting. Bisbee was taken over by artistic type hippies a few decades ago. Lots of quirky stuff to see.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
If you happen to be in Arizona and the Tucson area, the USAF Heritage Flight Conference occurs the first weekend in March.  It’s quite the air show with WWII fighters and the new jets flying various formations during Friday through Sunday. If you have base access, you can get on the ramp for the “petting zoo” early each day before flying starts.  If no base access, there are numerous places around base to watch, the Pima Air Museum being a prime spot off the east end of DMAFB. 

Additionally, the demo teams (F-16, F-22, & F-35) practice their air show routines everyday.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »
International from there for me would be Vancouver with a quick stop in Seattle to spend a few hours here:

https://youtu.be/FE903q84jcc

Eagler, if you are ever in Seattle area again, let me know, and I will take you out to lunch or dinner.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 06:45:59 AM »
Thanks for the offer Brooke!

Took the wife to Vancouver to see Steve Tyler for our 38th wedding anniversary in 2016 via train ride from Seattle

She located that air museum for me and put up with stumbling around the place drooling for a couple of hours. :)

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals