Author Topic: F4U-1A VF-17 Lt. (jg) I. C. Kepford - Adopted skin  (Read 523 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
F4U-1A VF-17 Lt. (jg) I. C. Kepford - Adopted skin
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:54:06 PM »
Thanks to Saxman for letting the squad have this skin!

This was the last Plane of Kepford's in VF-17, he was the squads leading ace with 16 and twice had 4 kill days.

NOVEMBER 1943
1 Kate, 3 Vals

JANUARY 1944
7 Zekes, 1 Tony

FEBRUARY 1944
3 Zekes, 1 Rufe

The Mission on February 19 was probable the squads most famous, definitely his.

Escape over Rabaul

The mission set for Feb. 19, 1944 was typical for the fliers of VF-17 that month: 20 planes on a strafing mission to Rabaul. Butch Davenport led the division; Ike was number 3. They took off at 0800, northwest towards Rabaul. Kepford's wingman soon developed engine trouble and was forced to return. Kepford was ordered to turn also back; he turned south, but kept rubbernecking and shortly spotted a lone Japanese Rufe seaplane. Although he was alone, Kepford dived down and opened up. The six .50's shook the Corsair and rippled holes in the enemy plane. As he pulled out of his dive, Kepford glanced back and saw the floatplane crash into the water. An easy kill behind him, Kepford turned south for home, radioing "Hog 29 here. Scratch one. Returning to base."

But then he saw many, many dots, high above him and in between him and Bougainville. He hoped to remain inconspicuous, but four Zeros peeled off to attack him. Unwilling to fight the whole group, he turned north to escape them, but the four pursuers came on fast, with their tremendous altitude advantage. As the lead Zero came on fast and opened fire, Kepford decided to "go for broke." He dropped his flaps and landing gear and nosed down until he was skimming the waves; as the Zero roared over him, he pulled his Hog's nose up and opened fire. The Zero's stabilizer crumpled under the snapshot, and the plane crashed into the waves. As Kepford pulled in his gear and flaps, the remaining Zeros bracketed him . . . he was facing 3-to-1 odds, low and slow, and he was heading back in the direction of Rabaul.

The other three Zeros spread out behind him, boxing him in, and continued to gain. Tracers streaked by! It was time to use the newly installed water injection "War Emergency Power" WEP, a temporary boost to the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine. The Jap planes stayed with him, scoring some hits on the F4U. He was really trapped at this point, unable to turn because of the Zeros behind, and forced to continue speeding north, while not gaining appreciably. Slowly, he began to pull away, but the WEP started to over-heat the engine. He got out of range and eased back on the throttle a bit, disengaging the WEP.

Kepford had to make his move now! He cut across the path of the port Zero. The Japanese plane dropped to wavetop level, opened fire, and sharply turned, trying to turn inside Kepford. At which point the Zero's left wing caught a wave top, and the plane cartwheeled across the ocean surface, disintegrated, and sank. The other two Zeros were left behind as Kepford dashed for home, landing on fumes in his fuel tank. He struggled out of his plane, pale and exhausted. His flying suit and shoes were soaked through with sweat. As the tension of the nerve-wracking four hour mission lifted, he shook all over and tears streamed from his eyes.

ira 2 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

ira 1 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

ira 3 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U-1A VF-17 Lt. (jg) I. C. Kepford - Adopted skin
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »
That top view is killer.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »
That top view is killer.
Thanks!

I forgot to add that all the photos of his plane show a dark repainted fuselage and worn out wings.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:59:27 PM »
That looks really sweet.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 01:52:04 AM »
Great looking skin Whiteman and a nice write up too.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 03:43:37 AM »
 :aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 12:33:43 PM »
Another great-looking hog, Whiteman!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
Great skin! Loving these Corsairs! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »
It is very nice...
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
 :salute :cheers: