Author Topic: considering VKB stick, am interested in other's experience, thoughts  (Read 3365 times)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
Re: considering VKB stick, am interested in other's experience, thoughts
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2020, 05:16:48 PM »
Here ya go, Force Feedback! https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-joystick/

In all seriousness, how does one test out the Left vs. Right handed stick before making a choice? I am a lefty and left-eye dominant, but have only ever used right-handed sticks both in flight sims and in real life. Would it be too late to try it out now? Also, really considering this VKB or Virpil suggestions. Gotta upgrade from my Microsoft Force-Feedback 2...
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2020, 11:38:17 AM »
In all seriousness, how does one test out the Left vs. Right handed stick before making a choice? I am a lefty and left-eye dominant, but have only ever used right-handed sticks both in flight sims and in real life. Would it be too late to try it out now? Also, really considering this VKB or Virpil suggestions. Gotta upgrade from my Microsoft Force-Feedback 2...

I think you'd just have to make a choice and go with it.   Based on again reading the comments in the this thread I think you'd be happy with either VKB or Virpil, other than perhaps setup frustrations....more on that in a bit, but I'm confident once I get my VKB setup properly I'll be vary happy with it.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2020, 12:25:02 PM »
 I received my VKB Gunfighter 3 yesterday Oct.23 after ordering it on Oct. 16. Just 7 days!

My first Gunfighter MCG Pro is the first version and is the best I have ever used. I purchased the latest version for my other pc.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
I'm about to get the gladiator nxt with the premium grip. Looks like a pretty good stick for the money and has an 8 way mini stick that will work well with views i think.

Really excited for a new stick!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
Here ya go, Force Feedback! https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-joystick/

You don't need to worry about handedness with a joystick. Whatever you're used to works best.

Also, a lefty stick needs a lefty throttle for a HOTAS.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2020, 02:53:29 AM »
I say this because Virpil's only desktop stick is the Warbrd base, and it's inferior to their T50CM2 which requires a desk clamp/mount due to its height.  The T50CM2 and VKB Gunfighter are very,  very closely matched, easy to call a tie, but again, the VKB stick is perfect for desktop use, and can easily be put into a mount from several different mount makers such as Monster and so forth.

Ummm I have to disagree with you here. First Unless you your using a very short stick the warbrd Base is not very good for desktop use .... I have the T-50 CM2 stick and it's tall like 236mm (9.3 inches) by comparison the warbrd grip is only 180mm (7.1 inches) but I wouldn't put my CH fighterstick on my desktop either ... I ran it on a Writing board on a drawer with a board over it or in a mount, but never on the desk. I haven't put a joystick on my desk since I had Microsoft sidewinder twisty stick and I was playing Air Warrior for Windows on AOL.

I currently use Monstertech mounts for both my Throttle and Stick with JPein for my pedals.

Secondly the CM2 vs the Warbrd base is an Apples to Oranges comparison. They are meant for different uses.

The CH fighterstick has 24 Degrees of deflection giving it one of the longest flight stick ranges of travel ever. This is what I'm use to LONG TRAVEL. The CM2 base gives you 16 degrees and the warbrd Gives you 22 degrees of deflection.

My CM2 stick on a Warbrd base gives it a larger range of travel even over my CH fighter stick. On the Warbrd base the CM2 stick gets 230mm of travel (9.1 inch) the Warbrd stick in the warbrd base only gives you 180mm (7.1 Inch) of travel. I wouldn't even consider putting the warbrd base on my desk with anything larger than the warbrd stick. I also run an Extension ....

When I add my 50mm extension my CM2 on my Warbrd base it gives me 252mm (9.9 inch) of travel.

(Personal preference note: For fixed wing aircraft I prefer side mounted sticks f16 style over center mount and I prefer the feel of Scissor cams to a one piece cam)

This is functional difference between the 2 bases one is for no or short extensions and desk mounting one is for long extensions and floor mounting.

I would not replace my warbrd base on my existing set up as the CM2 base would shorten my travel distance on my stick.

However, when Virpil's Collective comes available or I give up and grab a Komodo collective I'm probably going to grab a CM2 base for my CM2 stick and some really long extensions for DCS Helicopters. (I also want to run Dual sticks in a HOSASAT set up for ED)

The warbrd base would be a bad choice as the increased deflection would give me way way to much travel from a floor mount and it also lacks heavy enough springs to handle anything over a 100mm extension (God forbid your using a TM F-16 Cougar or A-10 Warthog stick as they are heavy) another issue is the Warbrd base lacks a clutch or any tension adjustments other than spring changes and even then they lack the choices of the CM2 springs and cams, again the warbrd base wasn't made for long extensions.

If I'm not mistaken you can run without springs on the CM2 base a lot better than you can on the warbrd base which makes it better for choppers.

Between the VKB and Virpil bases the GFIII I heard has a superior clutching mechanism making it slightly better for Helicopters and Off hand HOSAS set ups.

Thats not even touching on the fact the T50-CM2 Base is 100 eros more than the warbrd base That's a third more expensive than the Warbrd.

http://www.havoc-company.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1386 (Diagrams of Virpil products)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:09:12 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Train45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2020, 11:30:44 AM »
I'm about to get the gladiator nxt with the premium grip. Looks like a pretty good stick for the money and has an 8 way mini stick that will work well with views i think.

Really excited for a new stick!

just bought one myself. my god it feels like im churning molasses.  the damn thing has so much damping grease its unusable to me from the factory.

took it apart and spent about 3 hours cleaning off the unholy sticky damping grease. bout to put it back together with silicone grease. well see how it is after that.