Author Topic: vkb gladiator NXT thougts  (Read 881 times)

Offline Train45

• Zinc Member
vkb gladiator NXT thougts
« on: November 22, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
had it 2 days, absolutely hate this stick. mostly my fault for not reading up more on it

very hard center gimbal, alieron and pitch have really strong independent center points, makes it hard to fly smoothly.

obscene amount of damping. removed daping grease replaced with silicone, much better but now has significant stiction.

pinky button is not ergonomic, cant get a comfortable grip.

looks like im going back to my T16000.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: vkb gladiator NXT thougts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:03:54 AM »
Gunfighter is where it's at. Costs a lot more but figure it likely being the last stick you'll have to buy. Ends up kind of a bargain if you count all the cheapie sticks you might buy and either wear out or aren't really happy with anyway. It's very solidly built (metal gimbal assembly, not plastic) and uber-configurable. Mine is paired with an MCG-Pro grip which has all the hats and buttons you could ever want. Don't like the hard center? No problem! Change out the cams. Too loose or stiff? Change the springs. There are five different tensions of those and you can put a pair on each axis. Throw too short? Add an extension. It's designed to be tweaked as the user might like. Unlike other manufacturers that void the warranty if you open them VKB actually encourages you to get in there and make the stick your own. It's gonna be butter smooth however you might set it up. I'm a couple of years into mine now and absolutely love it. Only issue I've had is a connector on the gimbal working loose. Easily fixed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:35:06 AM »
had it 2 days, absolutely hate this stick. mostly my fault for not reading up more on it

very hard center gimbal, alieron and pitch have really strong independent center points, makes it hard to fly smoothly.

obscene amount of damping. removed daping grease replaced with silicone, much better but now has significant stiction.

pinky button is not ergonomic, cant get a comfortable grip.

looks like im going back to my T16000.

Interesting. I thought the gladiator center was much softer than the t16000. Maybe they changed it from the KG2 version.

Offline Train45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 09:27:55 AM »
my problem is i need a left handed stick, looks like vkb used to make LH grips their high end sticks but i dont see them on their website anymore. i have to say it is well built, so i have nothing agaisnt trying another product from that company, The NXT just not the right design for my needs.

atlau, for me its the fact that the t16000 has a center point only, while the nxt centers across both axes, so it has more of a centering "cross" so to speak, where you have to overcome the aileron center even when you have elevator in. or vice versa.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
I can second on the Gunfighter Mk3, got it in April and it's the last stick I'll buy. I don't like opening up electronics but was easily able to get in there swap to the hard center cams and 50# springs. I also opted for the 200mm extension and have it center mounted on their stronghold mount. The MCG-Pro grip is also wonderful but you need big hands as the distance of some buttons might be a bit far but not crazy.

I'm hoping they come out with their TECS throttle relatively soon, I'd like to keep my gear from one manufacture and software.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
My Gunfighter III with the SCG grip is the best joystick I have ever owned, and I used to be the senior PC tech at CH Products.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »
Am alos loving my Gunfighter III, mine with the Modern Combat grip.  Swapped out cams and springs , and now love the feel of the stick..  A major improvement over my CH Fighterstick, which I was quite happy with too.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
I got mine yesterday. First impressions are good, in that it's a good form factor, enough buttons, stable base and seems a lot more precise than the X52.

I agree with Train45 that you have to fight with the axis a bit. I think it's just a case of getting used to it.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
VKB just put out a vid about changing the grease on the NXT gimbal.

https://youtu.be/WQtf-E3XEAY

I can see what you were saying about fighting the grease. The vid starts with just pulling it one way and letting it go back to center. Looks like once you let go it... Just... Kinda... Oozes back to center. The Gunfighter has an adjustable clutch system that would accomplish the same thing. But with them fully loose it'll wobble at least a couple of times back and forth coming back to center unless you had a crazy ammount of spring force on it. That's probably not possible with the NXT as it has what looks like a plastic gimbal. That would equal a snap-a-roonie if you tried it I'd think! And because it's a plastic shaft into socket construction you'd need to have some kind of grease in there. The Gunfighter, being all metal, uses actual sealed ball bearing units on the axii. I use just regular automotive grease on the cams just for wear protection. That might tend to break down plastics so I wouldn't recommend it for your stick. There's a discussion about using different kinds of grease for the NXT on their forums.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
This is a rather disappointing thread to one whom might have been in the market for a new mid range stick.
I had to RMA thrustmaster t.flight hotas one recently with a known fault and a couple more by the time I really figured out the problems.
Currently using a saitek cyborg so thought the vkb gladiator was the go to.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
I actually prefer the 2 separate gimbals. Less unintended cross controlling.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 06:47:27 PM »
VKB just put out a vid about changing the grease on the NXT gimbal.

https://youtu.be/WQtf-E3XEAY

I can see what you were saying about fighting the grease. The vid starts with just pulling it one way and letting it go back to center. Looks like once you let go it... Just... Kinda... Oozes back to center. The Gunfighter has an adjustable clutch system that would accomplish the same thing. But with them fully loose it'll wobble at least a couple of times back and forth coming back to center unless you had a crazy ammount of spring force on it. That's probably not possible with the NXT as it has what looks like a plastic gimbal. That would equal a snap-a-roonie if you tried it I'd think! And because it's a plastic shaft into socket construction you'd need to have some kind of grease in there. The Gunfighter, being all metal, uses actual sealed ball bearing units on the axii. I use just regular automotive grease on the cams just for wear protection. That might tend to break down plastics so I wouldn't recommend it for your stick. There's a discussion about using different kinds of grease for the NXT on their forums.

Interesting - I've been watching videos about replacing the grease in a TM Warthog joystick, and before the job, the stick snaps back to center and wobbles a bit before settling at center.  After the new grease, the stick oozes around like its in thick mud.  And thats apparently the improvement.   This video seems like they went for the opposite of that.

Offline Train45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 06:48:38 PM »
who knows you might like it cluzig, it has really high reviews, its just too different from my thrustmaster and i am too set in my ways.  the hard center gimbal was the dealbreaker for me, but atlau prefers it and hes prob the most accurate shot in a fighter in the game imo. 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 01:06:43 PM »
This post is interesting.  I wonder how much different that base is from my Gladiator K.  I love my Gladiator K, but the best thing I've owned previous to that was an X52.

What you're describing sounds fairly close to my gladiator, it's a little stiff but I like that personally.  I find it quite easy to fly smoothly, but I wonder if it's just because I don't know any better.  I had thought my X52 was alright until I got my gladiator, then I saw what I was missing.  I often wonder how much better I'd feel with a Gunfighter or Virpil stick but kind of don't want to know too as I don't have the pennies to get one of the higher end ones. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11