Author Topic: vr compatability  (Read 894 times)

Offline goose30

• Zinc Member
vr compatability
« on: January 24, 2021, 07:27:12 PM »
HI! im thinking of getting vr to play aces high with. and was wonderinig if anyone could tell me if the oculus quest was also compatible with aces high. or is it ONLY the rift which is compatible?  do you have a quest? does it work with aces high?as for controls how does that work? do you use the vr controllers to manipulate the throttle and stick? or do you use your joystick while not being able to see the joy stick? this will determine if i upgrade my pc before getting the headset or not. thanks yall! pardon the spelling and gramatical errors

and while not technically vr, what about this track ir stuff? anyone got info on that? go ahead and email me at 6287usmc@gmail.com if youre willing. sorry if it takes a bit for me to reply
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:17:29 PM by goose30 »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: vr compatability
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:32:54 PM »
I know that AH works with OculusVR for sure. I'm using a RiftS, the Quest is just the next gen.

I know it works with SteamVR headsets too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline goose30

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 07:54:59 PM »
I know that AH works with OculusVR for sure. I'm using a RiftS, the Quest is just the next gen.

I know it works with SteamVR headsets too.

okay, what about controls? how does that work in vr? do you have to grab and hold the throttle and stick with the vr controllers? or well.... how does it work? ive got about 20 ideas some sane some not about how controlling a plane in vr may work

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 07:59:02 PM »
AH is set up so you CAN use the touch controllers in VR if you want. As you can imagine they're pretty limited in what you can control due to lack of buttons etc., but will work. Not very accurate vs even a crappy stick.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
I use the hotass setup I have always used. CH throttle, Warthog joystick and CH pedals. I find that the VR controls are a bit laggy. They work, but cant compete with the real stick setup.

Once you put your headset on, and grab your joystick your good to go. The only problem is with the headset on your cant use the keyboard. There is a third party voice program you can use to have keyboard actions work, kinda of speak and do  :) Its called "Voice Attack"

Offline goose30

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 08:15:41 PM »
I use the hotass setup I have always used. CH throttle, Warthog joystick and CH pedals. I find that the VR controls are a bit laggy. They work, but cant compete with the real stick setup.

Once you put your headset on, and grab your joystick your good to go. The only problem is with the headset on your cant use the keyboard. There is a third party voice program you can use to have keyboard actions work, kinda of speak and do  :) Its called "Voice Attack"

"ch throttle" never heard of it. i used to use a saitek x56. but one of the throttles potentiometers broke, im fighting logitec to get it fixed right now cuz the original ticket was put in before the warente expired. but what does ch stand for?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »
Voice Attack is highly recommended. Since it's almost impossible to type with the headset on this is a tremendous help. Great for simple commands you'd otherwise have to type. I've found trying to dictate with it not very good tho. The game does have its own virtual keyboard now that pops up when you bring up the buffer or save a film.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »
"ch throttle" never heard of it. i used to use a saitek x56. but one of the throttles potentiometers broke, im fighting logitec to get it fixed right now cuz the original ticket was put in before the warente expired. but what does ch stand for?

CH Throttle

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 08:34:58 PM »
Quest and Quest 2 work with AH and most Oculus games.

Two things though. First you need to get an appropriate USB cable, like the Oculus Link Cable. Your PC must also have a USB3 port, preferably with a USB-C connector.

Second, using the Quest has a CPU overhead - it'll knock about 20% off your framerate. ie where you have an Oculus Rift or Rift-S with your PC - you will see a slightly lower frame rate using the Quest.

I have both a Rift and a Quest.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:45:46 PM »
I got a quest 2 today and managed to get it on my old Sandy bridge computer. Usb 2 port. To be honest I was just curious to see what it would do. It is definitely good enough to play on until my new rig gets here. 70 fps with the same settings I was using at 1080p.  To be honest I am surprised and somewhat impressed.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »
Goose - it's also compatible with Mixed Reality Headsets - I have two Acer VH101's, a Quest, and a Quest 2 in my house. Aces High works well with all three. The Quest 2 is a much better experience than the Quest, and the Rift (or Rift S) again a much better experience. I also had a Oculus for a couple years before the Rift came out.

Here's the thing about flying with VR gear - one you do it, you cannot go back to singular monitors views again. Ever. You're hooked. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 03:04:08 AM »
Goose - it's also compatible with Mixed Reality Headsets - I have two Acer VH101's, a Quest, and a Quest 2 in my house. Aces High works well with all three. The Quest 2 is a much better experience than the Quest, and the Rift (or Rift S) again a much better experience. I also had a Oculus for a couple years before the Rift came out.

Here's the thing about flying with VR gear - one you do it, you cannot go back to singular monitors views again. Ever. You're hooked. :D
COULDNT AGREE MORE!   BRO...where were you? MNM wasnt the same without ya!!!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 03:08:17 AM »
Voice Attack is highly recommended. Since it's almost impossible to type with the headset on this is a tremendous help. Great for simple commands you'd otherwise have to type. I've found trying to dictate with it not very good tho. The game does have its own virtual keyboard now that pops up when you bring up the buffer or save a film.

If you go a long way into "Voice Training" the recognition gets better! Hands Down....best money I have ever spent! Feel like Clint Eastwood in "Fire Fox", but in English :aok :rofl :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain