Author Topic: Concealed carry question  (Read 3104 times)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Concealed carry question
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 08:09:48 AM »
This has nothing to do with the OPs question. Sounds like the guy was not very aware of his surroundings. He made himself an easy target.
Oh, was he talking about hunting? The following comments about pistols made me miss that as hunting with a pistol isn't allowed here. Apparently it is over there.

As far as making himself an easy target, how should he have walked home? Urban commando style?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
Biz, stop being obtuse. Using an example of a nebbish who is absolutely clueless about his surroundings is hardly a good one to make a point about. Let me give you a bit to research on. Look up Col. Coopers colors of awareness. I would say that the vast majority of folks, go around in what is known as condition white. Totally unaware of who or what is around them as they travel routinely in their usual routes, just not paying attention until something gets in their face. Like your guy in the EU. Picking a victim for a "bad guy" is all about maximizing the bad guys safety and minimizing the victim's. They want to hit a clueless person who is not paying attention so they can get close and take control before the victim notices any sign of danger.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »
Spot on Maverick.  :aok  Condition “WHITE” while sleeping.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »
I do not carry but my 9mm hammer noodles when I jack a round

Slight trigger pressure and it fires

Are you saying you walk around with the hammer cocked?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »
Bottom line is do what you are comfortable doing. I know people who carry one in the tube and others without.

This!   :aok

If you are not comfortable, you will not carry. It may save your life or a loved one.... or maybe even a stranger. So carry the way you feel comfortable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:09:52 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
Biz, stop being obtuse. Using an example of a nebbish who is absolutely clueless about his surroundings is hardly a good one to make a point about. Let me give you a bit to research on. Look up Col. Coopers colors of awareness. I would say that the vast majority of folks, go around in what is known as condition white. Totally unaware of who or what is around them as they travel routinely in their usual routes, just not paying attention until something gets in their face. Like your guy in the EU. Picking a victim for a "bad guy" is all about maximizing the bad guys safety and minimizing the victim's. They want to hit a clueless person who is not paying attention so they can get close and take control before the victim notices any sign of danger.
You live in a much more dangerous world than I. Agreed, there's people who walk the streets staring at their phones instead of paying attention to the traffic. Yet they don't get run down by cars since the drivers are mostly alert enough. Keeping a keen eye to the surroundings in fear of being attacked at 10 PM is not a necessity here. BTW do you call all sharp dressed men past their 40th "nebbishes"?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »
You live in a much more dangerous world than I. Agreed, there's people who walk the streets staring at their phones instead of paying attention to the traffic. Yet they don't get run down by cars since the drivers are mostly alert enough. Keeping a keen eye to the surroundings in fear of being attacked at 10 PM is not a necessity here. BTW do you call all sharp dressed men past their 40th "nebbishes"?

Evidently the guy in your story thought so too.

Believe me... it is not fear, I care about my family. My family cares about me. All it takes is one loose nut.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 01:37:54 PM »
Record firearm sales...there is a good reason for it

When rioters are not charged or have politicians making bail for them and local gov does not back the police...the public will have to protect itself

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
You don't get a second chance. It's not a game. Not something to joke about.

Like I said, we all hope we never have to use it.

I pre-empted my post with "to each their own" (meaning I will try to respect others) perhaps you missed that. I carry a Sig and like 1Stpar3 I don't worry about the saftey being on or off. However, that does not negate my philosophy, training, and sense of responsibility as a gun owner.

Life is nothing but a game. My response was directed at your comment as you seem to think that because you disagree with me, your opinion is more important, and that somehow you are more aware of the perceived danger that is out there. That's pretentious and I find humor in that.

We (Gun owners) are all on the same team. Opinions (Americans, Non-Americans) vary, take it, don't take it, but it's prudent to realize that their are others just as smart and just as aware as you. Just because our philosophies differ doesn't make one better than the other.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »
I just read about a Finnish EU commissioner in Brussels who was robbed and beaten to a half a year coma and wheelchair one night when he was walking to his apartment after a late dinner. What kind of firearm would have saved him from the attackers sneaking behind him and crushing his skull with a blunt object?

They're called pocket pistols. You combine them with an awareness of your surroundings. You always want to be aware of your surroundings because sometimes you see people who need help, as well as people who might harm you.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
Well, let this be my last post in this thread.

Here we really live in "condition white", most of the time. Most of the homicides happen if a) you're drunk and alone in the wee hours or b) your (ex) spouse doesn't want to let you go on your life without him/her. The most common weapon is a knife, seconded by violence without a weapon. Guns are on the third place, in the North shotguns, in the East rifles and in the West pistols. The most common reasons are drugs, problems with relationship and mental problems. Doesn't that read that you shouldn't fool around the girlfriend of a random boozing buddy with a knife?

Kotisivuni

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 07:42:24 PM »
 Chambered. You are the ultimate safety.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »
Well, let this be my last post in this thread.

Here we really live in "condition white", most of the time. Most of the homicides happen if a) you're drunk and alone in the wee hours or b) your (ex) spouse doesn't want to let you go on your life without him/her. The most common weapon is a knife, seconded by violence without a weapon. Guns are on the third place, in the North shotguns, in the East rifles and in the West pistols. The most common reasons are drugs, problems with relationship and mental problems. Doesn't that read that you shouldn't fool around the girlfriend of a random boozing buddy with a knife?

Having watched a big guy with a knife chasing a little guy down the street I was inspired to ponder the best way to stop similar incidents. Responsible citizens with firearms are more likely to stop violence than to add violence.

How would you stop somebody with a knife who is bigger, stronger, and faster than you?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 09:24:47 AM »
How would you stop somebody with a knife who is bigger, stronger, and faster than you?

.....and at least 21 feet away from you.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2021, 10:21:33 AM »

People are people the world wide. There are those who have items that others want, without having to work for them themselves. In addition depending on the alert level of a driver because you are too damn stupid to watch where you are going is asking for a darwin award and frankly speaking the gene pool would be better off if they earned it. Stupid can't be cured but the condition is often fatal.

Being a nebbish has absolutely zero to do with how snazzy or not you dress but if you bothered to look it up you already know that. It is only related to the definition. (neb•bish (ˈnɛb ɪʃ)n. Slang.a pitifully ineffectual, inept, and timid person. ) and what you do with the mind / body you were granted at birth. A nebbish survives only because others are willing to look out for those who cannot / will not look out for themselves even though physically un impaired.

If you look like an easy mark, are clueless about your surroundings, there will eventually be someone who will take advantage of your impending victimhood.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown