Author Topic: R/C Anyone?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
R/C Anyone?
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »
Anyone else fly R/C in here? 

Here's a few of the planes in my hangar:
L-4 Grasshopper
F4U Corsair
P-40 Warhawk
DH-112 Venom

"Four fried chickens and a Coke"

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: R/C Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:12:35 PM »
Very nice. Is the L-4 a Sterling kit? It is hard to see how large it is, I do notice the 4-stroke, though. I have a clipped wing J-3 with a ASP .52 4-stroke, love it.

P-40 a Top Flite? Those red box kits are super high these days, I tried to buy a red box Top Flite F4U recently, but the guy would not budge off of $400.

There are a lot of guys that fly R/C here, we need our own private forum.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 04:12:58 PM »
Wow those are really nice! Really like the Hog. How are they to fly?

Here is the new Astro Hog my dad recently built.

Here is the original version my dad and I built when I was a kid from a kit when he was showing me the hobby.

I had crashed it flying solo after getting stung by a bee.
It was very unfortunate. Really loved this plane.

We also had a slowpoke, Piper cub, and rarebear.

Hopefully I can get back into the hobby one day, just dont have the room or dough right now.

I have gotten into RC cars a little bit, but its definitely not as thrilling.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:14:33 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
Very nice. Is the L-4 a Sterling kit? It is hard to see how large it is, I do notice the 4-stroke, though. I have a clipped wing J-3 with a ASP .52 4-stroke, love it.

P-40 a Top Flite? Those red box kits are super high these days, I tried to buy a red box Top Flite F4U recently, but the guy would not budge off of $400.

There are a lot of guys that fly R/C here, we need our own private forum.

Thanks, the L-4 is actually a Hangar 9 Cub ARF that I kit bashed to an L-4.  It's 63" wingspan, I removed all the yellow cub covering and covered with Solartex Olive Drab it has a fabric texture to it but it's still heat shrink covering like Monokote. I built the greenhouse windows from scratch, powered by an O.S. 70 Four Stroke motor.

The P-40 is a TopFlite Giant Scale ARF, 86" wingspan. I purchased NIB from an estate sale a few years ago, I haven't flown it yet.  This kit took some time because I converted it from gas to electric power on 12S Lipo. Powered by RimFire 50CC electric motor, with a Castle 160A ESC, Robar Air Retract Gear.

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
Very nice DmonSlyr! Sig makes some good kits, I'd like to get a big Sig Rascal some day. The Corsair is a foamy made by Dynam, its a 50" wingspan and was pretty cheap from Motion RC, $180 at the time.  Its pretty stable in flight, it will perform most aerobatics but it's a little under powered in the vertical climb.

I've flown all of these models except for the P-40. The Grasshopper is like a big trainer and looks scale in the air.  The de Havilland Venom jet is made by Freewing. It's a great first EDF jet, very stable and sounds very realistic due to the intake design, you don't really hear the whine of the electric motor, it sounds like a jet!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
Plz tell me about the Venom,one of my favs as a kid! Oh the vamp too,which the venom was based on.

:salute

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »
Thanks, the L-4 is actually a Hangar 9 Cub ARF that I kit bashed to an L-4.  It's 63" wingspan, I removed all the yellow cub covering and covered with Solartex Olive Drab it has a fabric texture to it but it's still heat shrink covering like Monokote. I built the greenhouse windows from scratch, powered by an O.S. 70 Four Stroke motor.

The P-40 is a TopFlite Giant Scale ARF, 86" wingspan. I purchased NIB from an estate sale a few years ago, I haven't flown it yet.  This kit took some time because I converted it from gas to electric power on 12S Lipo. Powered by RimFire 50CC electric motor, with a Castle 160A ESC, Robar Air Retract Gear.

Interesting. I don't have any Top Flite ARF kits. My uncle has a few and they seem very nice. How is Solartex? I have never messed with it.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
Plz tell me about the Venom,one of my favs as a kid! Oh the vamp too,which the venom was based on.

:salute

This is my first EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) Jet, I bought this Venom second hand from another R/C Forum. Its all EPO foam has full flaps, retractable landing gear and operational navigation lights. The motor is basically like a leaf blower with a 9 bladed fan. It runs off of a 6S (6 Cells) 24V Lipo battery, has about 5-6 min. flight time on a full charge, depending on throttle usage.  It is fast and also very stable at slow speeds, a great first jet for an R/C pilot.

Motion R/C sells these and a ton of other models.
https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-de-havilland-dh-112-venom-v3-swiss-silver-high-performance-90mm-edf-jet-pnp

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
Interesting. I don't have any Top Flite ARF kits. My uncle has a few and they seem very nice. How is Solartex? I have never messed with it.

Yeah TopFlite models are good quality, too bad they are no longer in business. I think you can still find plans online to build their kits but you'd have to get all the wood cut. Some guys send out a bunch of wood to a laser cutting company and then build the kit.  Solartex is pretty easy to work with, I think its made in the UK. Just iron it on with the recommended heat settings and touch it up with a heat gun.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 10:52:10 AM »
Anyone else fly R/C in here? 

Here's a few of the planes in my hangar:
L-4 Grasshopper
F4U Corsair
P-40 Warhawk
DH-112 Venom

I used to fly RC slope and sail planes but largely stopped when I moved to LA, not as many areas near me to fly, unlike when I lived in San Diego and flew at Torrey Pines Glider Port.  Now I just do RC cars, mostly bashers.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
I used to fly RC slope and sail planes but largely stopped when I moved to LA, not as many areas near me to fly, unlike when I lived in San Diego and flew at Torrey Pines Glider Port.  Now I just do RC cars, mostly bashers.

Very nice, the Chicagoland area is getting increasingly difficult to fly in. Growing up in the suburbs, we used to fly over the farm fields. 20yrs later its all housing developments and strip malls. The only real place to fly now is at designated R/C fields which means club memberships with dues & meetings.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:53:38 PM »
P-47. 4 blade prop. Haven’t flown it in years since I moved to Germany. Haven’t flown it since I got back either. Tx for the reminder to annual it and get it going

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$