Author Topic: Three Screen Setup  (Read 604 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Three Screen Setup
« on: January 08, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
Considering what I just spent on a new rig, pedals, and J/S, I feel very sick to my stomach. I bought a VERY top of the line Alienware system with lots of bells and whistles,  I am confident the game will run smooth with all the bells and whistles.

As a result to breaking the bank, I am unable to get VR for now until I finish paying this one off.

In the meantime, I will be restricted solely by my monitor (s) that max out at or above 60hz.

I have a 50" TV as my primary monitor right now and I have 2, 42" TVs not being used.  I am interested in putting all 3 together to get the 3 screen effect.

That said, I tried looking in the forums for information on this and it seems to go too far back so I am starting a new thread to discuss now.

My system will arrive in less than 3 weeks.  When I go to set it up I intend to hook up all 3 monitors.  My machine should pick them all up, I assume.

Is there something I need to do when I install the game to my new computer to get the 3 monitors to work with the game?  Is there a source or set of instructions somewhere I can read up on?

Any information is much appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

<<S>>
AkKnoT
(formerly SlipKnoT)   
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Three Screen Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 05:24:06 PM »
I think you can in theory do it as long as the 3 monitors all have the same resolution...(so all 3 1920x1080 for example).

Hopefully you didn't get bent over too much by buying Alienware. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 05:40:14 PM »
First thing you need to do is look at the connectors on your monitors and video card to be sure they match up.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:12 PM »
I switch between 3 monitor and VR for different games, my graphics card, a GTX1080 has 1 HDMI, and 3 Display Ports.

I have my monitors plugged into the Display Ports and Oculus plugged into the HDMI. To switch back and forth I just unplug Oculus HDMI and USB2.0 from PC before booting up.

With the different size displays, it may give you issues. But you can try and see.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
I appreciate all of that info. 

I think I could have done a little better and built the dream build.  My long term plan is to take remnants of a few old computers I have and add to them to build a really big system. 

However, this time around I spent a little time looking around to get something that is truly a dedicated gaming machine.  I intend to learn and explore Microsoft Flight Sim and DCS this year. 

I also want to be able to make better quality movies for AH3.  Be able to add things like team speak and discord with flawless functionality.  Be able to put cool looking orders together for FSO and Special Events.  And ultimately, start looking into possibly learning how to build maps for AH3. 

And have of course easy upgrades to do as new technology comes.

That said, I think Alienware has what I need for the next few years while I learn a few things.  I also picked up Logitek Pro Rudder Pedals and a Saitek X56 (upgrade from X52 Pro).

Below is some basic info on the system I purchased:

Alienware
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply
Liquid Cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
Intel Core i7 Processor Label
Custom Configuration
Killer(TM) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
Dark Side of the Moon
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
32GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
     Windows 10 Home 64bit English
CyberLink Media Player with PowerDVD 20 Ultra
McAfee(R) 30day Trial
Microsoft(R) Office Home and Business 2019
SERI Guide (ENG/FR/Multi)
Optical Mouse MS116AW
Note.  I will need help getting my card to be maxed out.  Right now I use a 50” 60hz tv screen so I won’t be using a lot of the card out the gate but this also means I may be good for VR next year.  I will hint around for for next years Christmas gift.

Anything I need to ba aware of based on the above (good or bad?)
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:28 PM »
Once you have the monitors plugged in open the nVidia Control Panel and select Set Up Multiple Displays.

Your side monitors will have a smaller image but you might be able to mount them closer than the center monitor to alleviate that.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »
Great specs in your new system..congrats!

When I used three monitors the side monitors veiws were distorded..you could see a con but it was kinda smeared

Went to a single 34" 144hz b4 jumping into vr

Never go back from vr

Pay off your system or borrow another $600 for a reverb g2 asap

You will be happy you did :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 10:36:47 AM »
I bought 3 of these in 2018

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773ZY26F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the time they were on sale for $100 each.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 04:38:40 PM »
You'll want to setup using NVidia Surround from the NVidia Control Panel. You can setup your 3 displays to make it 1 large display. I have this setup on my RTX 2060 with 3 older style monitors. So for me 3 x 1280 x 1024 makes it into a 1 display resolution of 3840 x 1024.

Works great. The other thing you will want to set is your field of view. I run mine with a FOV of about 129 or so but depends on your personal preferences.

Nice setup - Good luck!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 04:23:52 AM »
Considering what I just spent on a new rig, pedals, and J/S, I feel very sick to my stomach. I bought a VERY top of the line Alienware system with lots of bells and whistles,  I am confident the game will run smooth with all the bells and whistles.

As a result to breaking the bank, I am unable to get VR for now until I finish paying this one off.

In the meantime, I will be restricted solely by my monitor (s) that max out at or above 60hz.

I have a 50" TV as my primary monitor right now and I have 2, 42" TVs not being used.  I am interested in putting all 3 together to get the 3 screen effect.

That said, I tried looking in the forums for information on this and it seems to go too far back so I am starting a new thread to discuss now.

My system will arrive in less than 3 weeks.  When I go to set it up I intend to hook up all 3 monitors.  My machine should pick them all up, I assume.

Is there something I need to do when I install the game to my new computer to get the 3 monitors to work with the game?  Is there a source or set of instructions somewhere I can read up on?

Any information is much appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

<<S>>
AkKnoT
(formerly SlipKnoT)   
Brother.....check your PMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain