Author Topic: Questions about G2 & Steam  (Read 1036 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Questions about G2 & Steam
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:41:26 PM »
 I am seriously considering upgrading my VR headset from my Oculus CV1 to a HP G2.  However I'd first like to get a sense of what I'm getting into as I enjoy the simplicity of the Oculus/Aces High interface.  I'm a bit concerned about having to jump into a presumably more cumbersome WMR/Steam interface.

For context, Aces High is the only computer game I play.

My questions, if I want to use an HP G2 VR headset:

Do I need to reinstall Aces High through Steam, or can I run my currently-installed version?

Would I need to set up a new account with hitech through Steam to pay for my monthly subscription?

I'm guessing each time I wanted to play Aces High I'd have to log into Steam first, then select Aces High, correct?

And how much more cumbersome, if it is at all, is loading the game through Steam?

Thanks in advance for any answers and thoughts!   :salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Questions about G2 & Steam
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 02:21:21 PM »
Hi DA,

You don't need to run the Steam version of AH.   You can use your currently installed version, so a new account won't be necessary.  But you do need to download and install the SteamVR app.

I *think* to run AH using the G2, you'll just start AH and it will pop up a message box "Do you want to use your WMR headset" (or something similar).  You click 'Yes' and off you go.  I think both the WMR app and Steam VR app will launch automatically, and you may have to minimize those program's windows to ensure AH3 has focus.

It is more cumbersome for sure, but not prohibitive.   The hardware requirements for the G2 will be higher than for the CV1.  I recommend a video card with at least GTX 1080 equivalent performance.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:42:00 PM »
You don't need to run the Steam version of AH.   You can use your currently installed version, so a new account won't be necessary.  But you do need to download and install the SteamVR app.

I *think* to run AH using the G2, you'll just start AH and it will pop up a message box "Do you want to use your WMR headset" (or something similar).  You click 'Yes' and off you go.  I think both the WMR app and Steam VR app will launch automatically, and you may have to minimize those program's windows to ensure AH3 has focus.

It is more cumbersome for sure, but not prohibitive.   The hardware requirements for the G2 will be higher than for the CV1.  I recommend a video card with at least GTX 1080 equivalent performance.

Hey Oboe,

Thank you for the quick & helpful reply!

It appears from  your description starting AH with the G2 will be very similar to how it is now with the CV1, that is still basically quick & easy.   Unfortunately too often still (Starlink Beta) I get discoed, so it's nice to have a decent chance of getting back in game prior to getting shot down or crashing.

More than a year ago I "splurged" on a RTX 2080 Super, so I should be good enough for GPU, and my CPU is an I7 9700K.  When I did these upgrades they both seemed a little extravagant at the time, but given the current state of puter hardware availability, I'm glad I have them now.  Thanks again.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 05:00:16 PM »
Should be fantastic.  Boy you were smart to upgrade when you did!

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »
....  Boy you were smart to upgrade when you did!

I would like to take credit for forethought, but it was really just circumstance, CPU upgrade when I was building a puter for my wife (my older parts were plenty powerful for her needs), and GPU, just decided to treat myself around the holidays.   :)

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:36:22 PM »
Definitely upgraded at the right time! Your rig shouldn't have any issues with the G2. Setup is easy, WMR pretty much sets itself up. As said you will need to download steamvr but you will also need another steam program called Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR. It's free on steam and is needed for SteamVR to recognize WMR devices.

There isn't any setup beyond tweaking settings for better performance if you want, everything recognizes everything else automatically. I run the standalone version of AH and it does start vr automatically through that "do you want to use your WMR headset" popup. So you only have to start AH and away you go.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 09:31:05 PM »
Okay, thank you for the info Rocco!  Thinking I'll order one of those rascals tomorrow.   :airplane:

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »
I too am using the G2 with an RTX2070.  This is performance overkill for AHIII, but other sims such as DCS, IL-2, or MSFS 2020 will require some tweaking.  The increased resolution and colors are awesome.

I just wish AHIII would allow some gamma adjustment.  I would prefer it just a little brighter.

TShark

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »
... The increased... colors are awesome....
TShark

Looks like an unexpected improvement, good news for me as I am somewhat color blind.   :aok

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »
I too am using the G2 with an RTX2070.  This is performance overkill for AHIII, but other sims such as DCS, IL-2, or MSFS 2020 will require some tweaking.  The increased resolution and colors are awesome.

I just wish AHIII would allow some gamma adjustment.  I would prefer it just a little brighter.

TShark
Install sweetFX. It can up your gamma and vibrancy amount other things
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 03:37:48 AM »
Install sweetFX. It can up your gamma and vibrancy amount other things
Is it working with AH3 now? Not sure that would work, with VR? Even NVidia's Control Panel wont work with VR. IMO/Far as I know :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain