Author Topic: JACKETS  (Read 783 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
JACKETS
« on: May 29, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »
Just a fun discussion I thought I'd start. About military jackets!

I don't know how many other AH3 pilots here share my crippling surplus addiction, but what are y'all's favorite pieces of military surplus?

To give you an idea of how crippling this is to my wallet, I blew $135 on an embroidered CAF MA-1 model flight jacket, and now I'm looking at spending another big chunk of money on a CWU-36 summer flight jacket.

So basically I pose the question to you: Old style leather flight jackets or the modern style green flight jackets?
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: JACKETS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 06:08:24 PM »
I've got a WWII replica bomber jacket in my cart on Amazon.  I've two Korea area jackets in my closet, one Viet Nam era, and one Desert Storm gortex.  I'm going to wait until I get back into the game to pony up for the WWII replica then probably get a patch made for it if my old squad takes me back :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 06:09:57 PM »
I've worn out two horsehide A2s and a B3 in the past 25 years.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 05:23:07 PM »
Just a fun discussion I thought I'd start. About military jackets!

I don't know how many other AH3 pilots here share my crippling surplus addiction, but what are  :salutey'all's favorite pieces of military surplus?

To give you an idea of how crippling this is to my wallet, I blew $135 on an embroidered CAF MA-1 model flight jacket, and now I'm looking at spending another big chunk of money on a CWU-36 summer flight jacket.

So basically I pose the question to you: Old style leather flight jackets or the modern style green flight jackets?

Beats other things you could be addicted to.  The green were more efficient in keeping warm during cold months.  The leather looked much better but was less efficient and made for a fair weather jacket.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 06:09:26 PM »
Leather all the way, doesn't even need to be military surplus or a replica.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 12:50:53 AM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 05:06:27 AM »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 07:39:37 PM »
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 07:50:27 PM »
Cool source, but I was surprised it didn't mention the CWU-36! I live in Texas man, I don't get that much time to enjoy my MA-1 jacket, I need some summer jackets too! And I'm certain there's lots of other folks around here with the same predicament.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 11:54:46 PM »
Cool source, but I was surprised it didn't mention the CWU-36! I live in Texas man, I don't get that much time to enjoy my MA-1 jacket, I need some summer jackets too! And I'm certain there's lots of other folks around here with the same predicament.

I hear you.  I live in Tennessee now, and can't wear an MA-1 much anymore.  Doesn't get cold enough.

I looked around for CWU-36/P's.  There aren't many places that sell them.  Alpha (who makes them for the military) doesn't seem to sell them on their web site.  US Wings has one in Nomex for $850.  The few others I could find are, I suspect based on the sites where I found them, totally inaccurate junk.

I ended up getting a London Fog "golf jacket" (because it has a slightly A-2-ish style for a wind breaker) and sewing my AH Scenario patches on the back of that.
https://www.amazon.com/London-Fog-Zip-Front-Regular-Big-Tall/dp/B005EVQ49G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3S7F8GVMGO8SC&keywords=london+fog+jacket&qid=1654491202&sprefix=london+fog+jacket%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-2

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 08:21:20 AM »
I hear you.  I live in Tennessee now, and can't wear an MA-1 much anymore.  Doesn't get cold enough.

I looked around for CWU-36/P's.  There aren't many places that sell them.  Alpha (who makes them for the military) doesn't seem to sell them on their web site.  US Wings has one in Nomex for $850.  The few others I could find are, I suspect based on the sites where I found them, totally inaccurate junk.

I ended up getting a London Fog "golf jacket" (because it has a slightly A-2-ish style for a wind breaker) and sewing my AH Scenario patches on the back of that.
https://www.amazon.com/London-Fog-Zip-Front-Regular-Big-Tall/dp/B005EVQ49G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3S7F8GVMGO8SC&keywords=london+fog+jacket&qid=1654491202&sprefix=london+fog+jacket%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-2

Check Ebay, lots of people sell their old jackets there. Personally I don't really care for it being brand new or perfect, I enjoy an already used jacket because I don't feel bad if it gets a little scratch. Shoot, you can even find CWU-36es from 1986 on Ebay!  :rock
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
Check Ebay, lots of people sell their old jackets there. Personally I don't really care for it being brand new or perfect, I enjoy an already used jacket because I don't feel bad if it gets a little scratch. Shoot, you can even find CWU-36es from 1986 on Ebay!  :rock

Funny. I sold mine to a friend in `86 (for $100.00).

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 09:29:27 AM »

90+ this past weekend with hardly a breeze. Humidity though the roof like normal here in SE Texas.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 09:32:14 AM »
90+ this past weekend with hardly a breeze. Humidity though the roof like normal here in SE Texas.

I drove 400 miles to join up with my Invader and the rest of the crew at an airshow, and it was hot as all hell despite the clouds. Closest I can get to a bomber jacket most days here in the South is my OCP uniform blouse with patches on the shoulder velcro panels.
Turn n' Burn!