Author Topic: I suck in Tanks  (Read 766 times)

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
I suck in Tanks
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:27:15 PM »
I think my first problem is patience, or the lack of it.  But second, I have a rough time hearing the direction an enemy tank on the move.  I have Bo$e speakers, and have tried ear buds,.  What is the best sound device for tanking?

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
Re: I suck in Tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »
Perhaps you could give a little more background like - When do you have a hard time hearing other tanks? On the move? Sitting still? Shut down? etc.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:41:32 PM »
I think my first problem is patience, or the lack of it.  But second, I have a rough time hearing the direction an enemy tank on the move.  I have Bo$e speakers, and have tried ear buds,.  What is the best sound device for tanking?

Rule #1 of tanks in aces high is turn your engine noise off.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »
It's when my engine is turned off, and the bad guy is on the move looking for me, and sadly he usually succeeds.  I can't seem to get his direction right from listening to his treads through the Bose speakers.  Are headphones better?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 11:52:25 AM »
It would sure be of great help if our resident Tank Yodas would start a “How to & Techniques” thread for those of us trying to break the code on tanking.  Too bad and very sad that we lost one of the greats with DR7 passing recently. 😢  It’s a shame to have all of that corporate knowledge be lost.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 02:49:26 PM »
When AH3 came out, I know for me that the sounds were offset in my headphones up to 60 degrees from where I was hearing approaching vehicle's. This problem was fixed with the purchase of newer audio card at the time and eventually a new PC.  The guys I team with all use headphones. You can swing your turret to narrow down the direction in which a GV approaches.

You can also reduce the volume of whatever the setting is for outside engine volume to around 70-75%. Whether it was intended or not - it reduces the distance at which you hear a tank from around 5k yds to 3 - 3.5k yds. This helps when sitting in ambush. Why listen to a guy 5k yds away who poses no threat? It only adds to the Fog (confusion) of war. Anything under 3k requires attention for Situational awareness.

As it was said before, keeping your engine shut down goes along way to staying alive. It allows you to hear the enemy approaching as well as keeps your position concealed.
While listening is an important part of GVing so is the Situational Awareness aspect in watching for movement. Most will be complacent and just listen and watch in a certain direction, it takes some effort to keep up a "Scan" and stay vigilant.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 01:12:46 AM »
Also be aware that your FOV also impacts the accuracy in determining the exact direction the approaching gv is coming from. The existing game sounds are fairly generic, with my advanced Game Sounds settings, with my engine off, I can hear a gv 3200 yds out. With my engine running, I can hear a gv 800 to 900 yds out. Gv sounds and the GV sector dar are key tools in locating your enemy. Chalenges sound pac does not give me the same range data as the generic sounds do.

Puma44 is right, we lost an outstanding gv-er when DR7 passed on, but we still have some outstanding players here. Tyfoo is one of them, then there's Charger5, Rush, Mano, Dcat, BTBrando, Damphyno, TWCmav1, 27th, 49jagpaw, Slaxer, well I could go on and on. I am sure any of these would be more than happy to help  you learn more.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:41 AM »
Puma44 is right, we lost an outstanding gv-er when DR7 passed on, but we still have some outstanding players here. Tyfoo is one of them, then there's Charger5, Rush, Mano, Dcat, BTBrando, Damphyno, TWCmav1, 27th, 49jagpaw, Slaxer, well I could go on and on. I am sure any of these would be more than happy to help  you learn more.

Hopefully, the rest of the tank snipers you mention will also chime in and contribute their expertise.

What your most effective FOV?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 03:25:11 PM »
Hopefully, the rest of the tank snipers you mention will also chime in and contribute their expertise.

What your most effective FOV?

With my current 32" curved Viewsonic, its 106. I'm not much of an expert in gv's but I am better in gv's than fighters lol.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76