Author Topic: Lt. Robert McCampbell - P-51D "Jo-Baby..." (WD*D) - 52nd FG, 4th FS - Rev 5  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lt. Robert McCampbell - P-51D "Jo-Baby..." (WD*D) - 52nd FG, 4th FS - Rev 5
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »
Here's a quick tweak.  It won't make the update, but at least I can sleep knowing I fixed a few things.

Insignia positioned properly.   Panel line shading reduced.  I used a negative image on the rivets and panel lines on the P map.  The lines I like.  The rivets, I'm not sure.   They definitely blend in more this way.   I don't know if that's desirable or not.  If I keep that I'll have to clean up a few spots here and there otherwise I may only invert the panel lines and leave the rivets as they were before.

I'll attack it again in the future.

Compared to my last update (it's easier to do that on one screen) it's hard to believe this is the same game.

Here's another of the new version with different scenery.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:29:16 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 07:02:10 PM »
Really appreciate the good looking skins you guys do.

I was curious. Were there any camo type paint jobs on late war US planes? It seems to me all the late war stuff was mostly silver.

Thanks a lot, sir.   I think it is a labor of love for the lot of us.

As for the markings, the trend for American planes was the exact opposite of Luftwaffe aircraft.    US planes started out dull and drab, while Luftwaffe aircraft were much more vivid and bright.   By the end of the war the Luftwaffe were dull and drab while the US schemes became vivid and bright.   For obvious reasons the Luftwaffe was much more concerned about being hard to see than the USAAF was as the war ground to its conclusion.

There are exceptions.   I think a number of olive drab airplanes stayed that way after D-Day, but it was not the general rule.    Paint also added weight, expense, and drag, so dispensing with it had advantages. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:32:59 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 11:47:42 PM »
Really appreciate the good looking skins you guys do.

I was curious. Were there any camo type paint jobs on late war US planes? It seems to me all the late war stuff was mostly silver.

Once air superiority was reached, they left off the paint. Time and money.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I don't know if it matters, but this was my inspiration for the current version...

Jo-Baby is third from left.

MISS ROGERS also had that bluish hue to it.

The problem with panel line shading remains that this was a pretty clean aircraft.   I am shading it up as a concession to the game for depth, but I am not sure it is really needed.  It was a clean airplane.  Jo-Baby has the D on the tail, third from camera.

I've sometimes considered doing the version with tail stripes instead as WEE WILLIE (which I skinned later) has the solid yellow tail.   

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:46:27 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
I’ve been using this skin. It’s a beauty, V!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks, bro.   Glad you like it.   A few tweaks for the next update but it won't change too much. 

:salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Palace Cobra

• Copper Member
Here's a quick tweak.  It won't make the update, but at least I can sleep knowing I fixed a few things.

Insignia positioned properly.   Panel line shading reduced.  I used a negative image on the rivets and panel lines on the P map.  The lines I like.  The rivets, I'm not sure.   They definitely blend in more this way.   I don't know if that's desirable or not.  If I keep that I'll have to clean up a few spots here and there otherwise I may only invert the panel lines and leave the rivets as they were before.

I'll attack it again in the future.

(Image removed from quote.)

Compared to my last update (it's easier to do that on one screen) it's hard to believe this is the same game.

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's another of the new version with different scenery.

Good work! Love your stuff. I continue to be impressed by the way things have changed over the years for the better!