Author Topic: The "student flier" - a way to ease new folks in?  (Read 733 times)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
The "student flier" - a way to ease new folks in?
« on: April 01, 2021, 08:37:54 PM »
I was thinking the other night about how we introduce new players into AH...Think of this like the ever-present "student driver" sticker seen on cars, only in this case, we're talking about "student flier" badges!

Over the past months, I've seen commentary about how newbies are relentlessly killed, have no idea how to fly, etc. But how do we identify a newbie? How do we know who's on the other side of that red target/icon? We typically don't. Now if I see an F4U-1A or F4U-1C killin' all my squaddies, I know it's probably Rud3Boi - a skilled player. But if I see some dude continually upping in an F4U to be vulched seconds later...I'll bet it's someone who doesn't know the game or is just not savvy to the mechanics. Could be a new player who gets frustrated and leaves.

In many other games, there are ways to distinguish skill levels or to identify areas which are safer than others. Take Clash of Clans for example. When you enter a match, you're paired with someone close to your level. You don't take a Level 6 castle with a player rank of 1200 and pair them against a Level 11 castle with 3600 ranking. Just wouldn't be fair at all. For another more complex example, look at Eve Online. Snowflakes and cargo ships can stay in the High Security (Hi-Sec) space with a rating between 0.5-1.0, and in those zones, there's a police protective force that will intervene if one players aggros/attacks another. Below 0.5 it becomes less safe, and in 0.0 you're in null-sec, no-man/woman's land. Spoiler alert, it takes a lot more experience to survive in low-sec or null-sec space.

In AH we have none of that. We have a ranking system accessible through the roster, which is pretty much good for 2 things: 1) bragging rights, and 2) looking up the guy who killed you 'after' it happened, to see how well-ranked they are.

Which brings me to the Wishlist/Suggestion. This is not perfect and I welcome community [strikethrough]flaming[/strikethrough], I mean "input."

How about a change to the AH icons system (*audible gasp!*). Instead of just seeing 190 at 2.5K... what if it showed some signifier of skill. For example, if your in-game rank is between 1 - 300 it shows a special star or dollar sign or something, like *190* or $190$ This would denote a skilled player. And perhaps if you're a new/unskilled player, there could be a set of arrows to bracket it like <190>. Additionally, it could be applied to any player who's only been an active in-game ID for 30 days or 60 days. Or maybe just even the free 14 day trial period. Better yet, now that I think of it, maybe the 14-day trial folks get a special icon like T-190-T to denote a trial period player

This proposal would also have to come with some etiquette reminder. Almost like the message of the day. It would NOT PROHIBIT a green engaging a red player, but it would encourage the skilled/well-ranked players from continually vulching or pillaging someone who's been in the game just a month or 2. In fact, it could even encourage cooperation from the veterans who see a friendly with T-190-T. Perhaps this provides the "social" tool we need to quickly identify new players and bring them up to speed. Instead of seeing them in a seemingly endless ball of flaming, hulking metal and then they rage quit when it's just not worth trying any more.

Ok, so that's the outline of the idea: provide a way to identify trial players to all, and perhaps provide a way to show who the real sharks are?! I can hear the arguments now - "what are we? snowflakes?!" and "trial by fire is the best, I prefer them charred and crispy, not medium rare."

My point is: this game is amazing, but it is a steep cliff to learn to play, stick with it, and find a good squad to enjoy the experience all the more. Let's come up with ideas for how to HELP new folks get their feet under them and stick with it. This community is amazing, but it can't afford to keep letting folks walk off in droves when they can't even get up in the air. Ok, grievances are open! FIGHT!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: The "student flier" - a way to ease new folks in?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »
I can hear the arguments now - "what are we? snowflakes?!" and "trial by fire is the best, I prefer them charred and crispy, not medium rare."

Hard to say whether such a system would say to others, "be kind," or whether it would say "goat tied to tree here."  We have all sorts of players, with all sorts of self-restraint.

I haven't played any of the other games you mention, but if it works there, perhaps it could work here.  Could be a worthy trial, depending on how hard it is for HTC to code it.

If he hasn't done so already.  I often suspect that my icon flashes a purple "Easy Kill Here" message.

- oldman

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 11:07:28 PM »
I would suspect any "identifier" used to point out new players or skilled players would be exploited. While I would probably be inclined to "assist" the new player, I would also be inclined to gang up on the skilled player. You know, wolfs will run into the sheep and kill the goats first, then have their way with the sheep.  :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 06:42:12 AM »
Just like people avoid that corsair when they know its Rude or the jug when they know its Yucca,  the same would flock to the newbie for the easy kill

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:06 AM »
If new players were identified with a special icon, they could also have protection from hungry vets by making their airplane harder to kill -- maybe give them the special Yak armor.  :D  The protection could be removed after they get 3 (?) kills.

I don't think the high-skilled players need identification.  If you pay attention to the kill messages, it's pretty easy to know where they are.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
Maybe they just need to practice more like the rest of us did

I was  killed way more than I killed for years in here

After 20 something years that has finally reversed

Why does this bunch need a handicap of some sort?

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 08:58:32 AM »
Why does this bunch need a handicap of some sort?

Two reasons come to mind:

- They aren't dedicated WWII aviation afficionados, like we were/are;

- There are more Very Competent Pilots now than there used to be - simply because we've been practicing all these years.

- Oldman

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 01:09:53 AM »
My alternative to this suggestion has been to identify rookies to the players on their own team. I could see a rookie pilot and reach out to help.  If you tell the enemy player that this is a rookie, then many will see an easy kill.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 02:26:31 PM »
if your going to show a T-190-T icon,
then just make kills against them not count toward points/landing killstreaks.
so zero perk points/ no extra name in lights for killing noobs.

disincentives for killing them basically.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
These have all been really good replies, thanks. I'm still wondering how we attract and retain new folks? I don't think you have to be a WWII aficionado in order to play and stay. Other ideas on ways to have this effect? Can you think of other parallels to games and systems which help pair the rankings better?
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 03:34:55 PM »
There already is an identifying icon system for rookies.

Spit 16
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 03:40:39 PM »
I can't recall for certain, but didn't WarBirds announce on country channel when a flyer logged into the game?   

It might help us all be a little more friendly and welcoming if we got a "SpinDoc1 has entered the room" message when you logged in, followed no doubt by several players chiming in greetings to the new arrival.

<S>

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
My alternative to this suggestion has been to identify rookies to the players on their own team. I could see a rookie pilot and reach out to help.  If you tell the enemy player that this is a rookie, then many will see an easy kill.

This would be the best solution, imho.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 08:56:29 AM »
I suggest a solid white skin with swiss markings newbies are limited to until they get their 1st 50 kills..

That way for those who have guilt complexes about killing newbies will know who they are and can hold fire ... lol

Eagler