Author Topic: An Apology and a Debate  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: An Apology and a Debate
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »
Like 20min after 22 FH (Rook field) were shut down, I went and shut down 45 (knight field) hangers in retaliation  :devil

You were the B-24s?  :rofl My squadmate and I literally knew what was about to happen.  We really figured the rooks would take the base.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 02:51:52 PM »
The game started as an A2A combat sim

Sort of.  When AW closed and I moved to AH, the AH emphasis on winning the map was something of a shock.  I thought then, and think now, that this encourages vulching and ganging.  OTOH, it's hard to argue with success.  The "team player" and "what's the goal of the game" crowds wouldn't be here otherwise.

Like Banshee, I get irritated when someone sinks the carrier or kills the fighter hanger, but the fight does move somewhere else after that, so I try to stay philosophical about it.

- oldman

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »
You were the B-24s?  :rofl My squadmate and I literally knew what was about to happen.  We really figured the rooks would take the base.

Yep B24s are my jam. Yeah I thought we'd try to take the base since we had so much air power/cover. But, Rooks are a fickle bunch, I think we had a lot of people logging off around then as it was late-ish on a Wednesday night.
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 03:50:51 PM »
I always make sure to call out whoever kills the FHs. Fortunately the bomber icon makes it quite easy. There's loads of other bases you can go bomb that have no outcome on the furball at hand. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 03:54:36 PM »
Bombers who kill FHs certainly don't know what they are doing if they are seriously trying to capture a base. Its far more crucial to take out VH and ord on base or take out the town.

I believe that killing FHs back in the day was one of the main reasons so many fighter pilots and squads became displeased with the game. The new base layout is a far better change. That said, it's still possible for bombers to ruin that fight. Many bomber pilots think that the place with the most action is solely geared toward base capture. What they fail to realize is that is just the place for the pick up fight. If you are a bomber pilot, it's always good to ask locally what's the most important thing to take out at the time.

If you really care about taking bases. It's best to be on a squad, or atleast ask a few in the game to team up to take bases. Other than that, you aren't gonna capture a base where people are just trying to find some fighter action. The knights are notorious for this. Skillet obviously didn't understand his teammates intentions and cost about 10 players their fun for the evening.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 04:28:17 PM »
I always make sure to call out whoever kills the FHs. Fortunately the bomber icon makes it quite easy. There's loads of other bases you can go bomb that have no outcome on the furball at hand. :)

This was exactly what I was thinking.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
I think shutting down all FH is kind of lame, especially on Friday nights an hour or two before FSO when everyone that isn't a regular is practicing a bit before FSO.

Yesterday is probably the first time in a year I shut down all FH and a VH at a base, and I just did it as a vengeance sortie.

Most of the time I try to let the tankers do their tank battles (I used to fly A20s all the time and be an annoying bomb****), fighters do their furball stuff, and me do my stuff, because AH like all multiplayer games is chaos and anarchy.

Also, setting up a good air superiority, kill VH, kill all autos on base first, then vulch, is way way way easier to do than to get all FH, BH, and the VH at a base, especially the 2-mile base that is A22 on yesterday's map.

"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 08:45:53 PM »

I can do both,  but I prefer to furball...

I will do both.... but I dislike furballin outside of TT/FT areas. And I will drop Hangers/Pork all night long to kill a furball, in hope of turning it into a base capture.

In FR AW furballs was considered poor gameplay... at one time it was considered poor gameplay by many here... but AH has been slowly turning into an arcade game with the new generation of players.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »
In FR AW furballs was considered poor gameplay

As opposed to what?  That is not my recollection at all.

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 09:21:44 PM »

As opposed to what?  That is not my recollection at all.

- oldman
Really! I thought we kinda lived for it!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »
The anti furball crowd is what really killed it. Not a lot of people have the time to jabo and die after a 7 minute flight time to a base without doing anything. Plus you have to get alt, then watch out for that 19k p51 who can't fight worth a chit. People wanna fight other fighters, not play by themselves shooting immovable objects....
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 06:26:36 AM »
Maybe the game is trying to be to much for too many...

CAV is a perfect example of this

His vision of this game is not mine or many I would guess but in his 30k super bomber he can affect/ruin the game for many others while he enjoys it his way

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 07:33:25 AM »
The problem is low population not who is doing what at a given base.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 09:12:14 AM »
The problem is low population not who is doing what at a given base.

I 100% agree, Way!  When the numbers were up, there were multiple fights to choose from! It was just odd the way this fight died after the FHs had been taken down. And the only reason it died is because our country mates moved on. I think had more stayed to defend our base from the rook retaliation the fight would have continued.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
Being able to capture bases gives us a goal and drives fights.  Sometimes we can just furball.  Sometimes we can get in a contest to win the war.  The set up here gives us options.  That is one of the many reasons I fly Aces High and not one of the other games.  We have this big playground with all these cools toys, and we get to decide how we play with them.  In order for this to work, each of us has to respect the other player's choice.

As Wiley said,  "It's the price we pay for the freedom to do what we want as opposed to being led by the nose everywhere."

So in Aces High we have some guys playing tag.  Over here we have some guys playing hide-and-seek.  Over here we have some guys playing capture the flag.  Then we get people in the BBS, "Mr. Hitech. Those guys aren't playing tag with us they way they are supposed to. They're using the playground wrong.  Make them stop!"

If those guys want to play tag, let them play tag.  If those other guys are playing capture the flag, respect that and don't try to force them to play tag.  Remember that a good game of tag can easily turn into capture the flag, and vice versa.

My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com