Author Topic: Mechanical Computers  (Read 757 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Mechanical Computers
« on: April 10, 2021, 05:00:52 PM »
I'm a silly guy, I grew up in the silicone age. Thus I have a tendency to stare at Spikes avatar and I generally understand the workings of silicone wafers and chips.
I've heard about mechanical computers for a while and never really delved into seeing how they work. One night when unable to sleep; part one of these two videos came up and it fascinated me with the inner workings of a mechanical computer. Thought I'd pass it along.
Relevance- These type of computers were used to calculate trajectories for naval guns, range and bearing, and also when to fire, accounting for the roll of the ship.

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Re: Mechanical Computers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 05:10:12 PM »
That fire control gear worked when the digital gear broke down.

Ive worked both in the fire control room and on the units in the mounts. It was MUCH easier in the control room.

What amazed me was the engineering that went into developing those units. A receiver/regulator was the unit that controlled remote movement of a 5 inch gun mount. Working on one was a very ineteresting affair and it NEVER went according to any sort of a pre-work plan.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »
According to Ryan C. from ‘Battleship New Jersey’ on YT, when she was brought out of mothballs for duty off Vietnam they considered going digital but it would have been no better than the mechanical system (fwiw).
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:02:31 PM »
As a Mechanical Engineer (and man of silicon  :rofl ), I'm as fascinated as you. It's always amazing that people can be so clever and inventive, but others in the species can be so, uh, dumb?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wildin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 07:31:44 AM »
Here is an early one, 2000+ years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-zWbxm2lY

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »

Thanks for that link, Wildin - that was absolutely fascinating.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 08:19:33 PM »
According to Ryan C. from ‘Battleship New Jersey’ on YT, when she was brought out of mothballs for duty off Vietnam they considered going digital but it would have been no better than the mechanical system (fwiw).

I've toured the USS NJ and you can go inside the rear 16" turret. Quite a Mechanized wonder including the shell conveyor system. They did refit the NJ over the years with newer anti aircraft guns (Phalanx system) and missile batteries.
   When her guns fired on Lebanon in 1983 they were badly inaccurate from some poorly mixed powder bags.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 01:00:47 AM »

I wonder how well that would've run AH. If the graphics and flight model were realistic etc., you know...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Wildin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 05:57:14 AM »
I wonder how well that would've run AH. If the graphics and flight model were realistic etc., you know...
Just add more gears and fix the wing melting problem. :)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:59:44 AM »
What is also interesting to me is the absolute divide in history between those who have experienced the advent of computers in our society and those who will forever take them as a normality that always existed.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »
What is also interesting to me is the absolute divide in history between those who have experienced the advent of computers in our society and those who will forever take them as a normality that always existed.

I remember trying to get my wife to do basic things on the computer, but now she goes from that to phone to tablet. We want to take our nephews on a camping trip and the first question? Is there WIFI?  AAAuuuuGGGGhhhh!

How lucky we were growing up with less distraction, you wanted to talk to a friend you went by his house.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.