Author Topic: Made in China...  (Read 4002 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Made in China...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 05:15:26 AM »
Question:  Who is really to blame for this sort of thing?

• China?
  • India?
  • Mexico?

Truth is you could insert any country you want into that list.  The ones to blame are the consumers. Us, we are the consumers!

For the most part they (we) do not really care about quality, they (we) care about the dollars.  If they can get 'the same thing <almost>' for cheaper then they (we) will do it.  Blaming another country or a government is simply ignoring the facts, today the society is built on getting what you want for a little as you can.

Of course there are some of us that are willing to pay top dollar for whatever product we choose to put top of our importance list but we same people will go out of our way to pay $1 for milk rather than $1:20.

Consumer society is great but consumer society sucks....... If only I could find a desert island for the price of a TV.....

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »
snip
Question:  Who is really to blame for this sort of thing?

The ones to blame are the consumers. Us, we are the consumers!

This  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »
ok cool, when we raise tariffs on coconuts from timbuktu, timbuktu doesnt pay the tariff.  we do.  it is just that simple.  and if we dont have coconuts because hawaii doesnt produce enough then hawaii will raise their prices well because they can and they still wont produce all we need.

semp

Ahhh, so you think it's perfectly okay to raise taxes on American workers and push a tax on employers for their employees labor, which creates higher prices and less jobs. While also allowing another nation to trade here and undercut American prices of those goods for no fee or tax at all? Seems fair.....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:36:48 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 01:54:35 PM »
ok cool, when we raise tariffs on coconuts from timbuktu, timbuktu doesnt pay the tariff.  we do.  it is just that simple.  and if we dont have coconuts because hawaii doesnt produce enough then hawaii will raise their prices well because they can and they still wont produce all we need.

semp

It’s not that simple actually. Many tariffs are paid by the exporter, many cases they are not. It depends on the product, supply/demand, laws, trade negotiations, etc...

The buck is not always passed on to the consumer, but yes sometimes it is. A lot depends on the the specific tariff and the product(s).

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
Fundamentally they way it’s supposed to work is here:

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/tariffs/

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 11:53:58 PM »
It’s not that simple actually. Many tariffs are paid by the exporter, many cases they are not. It depends on the product, supply/demand, laws, trade negotiations, etc...

The buck is not always passed on to the consumer, but yes sometimes it is. A lot depends on the the specific tariff and the product(s).

say you have a business, your taxes go up 20%, so you absorb  that tax, because it's unthinkable to pass it to consumers.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 11:56:02 PM »
Ahhh, so you think it's perfectly okay to raise taxes on American workers and push a tax on employers for their employees labor, which creates higher prices and less jobs. While also allowing another nation to trade here and undercut American prices of those goods for no fee or tax at all? Seems fair.....

I didnt think that, you did.

semp

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 01:10:15 AM »
Just to think that most likely all of this criticism is typed with computers/phones made in China, delivered all over the world via servers made in China and read on screens made in China. Oh, the Chinese may use Japanese capacitors here and there...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 03:48:01 AM »
Just to think that most likely all of this criticism is typed with computers/phones made in China, delivered all over the world via servers made in China and read on screens made in China. Oh, the Chinese may use Japanese capacitors here and there...

i miss the old day. there was a movie about a russian and american astronauts, are you familiar with american components?  american components, russian components, they are all the same thing, all made in Taiwan.

still funny then, still funny now

semp

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »
say you have a business, your taxes go up 20%, so you absorb  that tax, because it's unthinkable to pass it to consumers.

semp

That is exactly the sort of comment I would expect from a drunk who thinks driving drunk is funny..............

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 08:52:53 AM »
In the name of cheaper we have Russian programmers writing our businesses software while China builds our network hardware

No problem there at all lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 09:02:36 AM »
That is exactly the sort of comment I would expect from a drunk who thinks driving drunk is funny..............

Uncalled for.

- oldman

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2021, 01:32:43 PM »

You make the point of the post, indirectly you may not be aware albeit.

When you purchase products made in Finland doesn’t it make you feel better that you helped preserve jobs in your own country?  Make you proud or give you some pride in your country?

Also you have a good idea how the products were made and what’s in them, or rather what isn’t...like toxins
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:35:10 PM by RotBaron »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »

Uncalled for.

- oldman

I dont think he was calling semp a drunk, it was an example, like a thief thinking breaking and entering is funny.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »
You make the point of the post, indirectly you may not be aware albeit.

When you purchase products made in Finland doesn’t it make you feel better that you helped preserve jobs in your own country?  Make you proud or give you some pride in your country?

Also you have a good idea how the products were made and what’s in them, or rather what isn’t...like toxins
The "made in <your country>" tag may not tell the truth. Clothes are one example: There's no cotton fields here, yet cotton clothes are made here. Finnish wool is only used for handicraft products, all woollen clothing is tailored out of foreing fabrics. Same thing in Estonia which is famous for their linen - except that there's not a single linen fabric manufacturer left. 

The only thing one can be relatively sure of is food as raw materials. Even there there's counterfeits: Swedish strawberries sold as Finnish at the start of the season, meat stamped as Finnish as it's been only packaged here... If the crooks get caught they'll get punished but there's still those who'll try their luck.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni