Author Topic: B29 full fuel and heaviest bomb load  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: B29 full fuel and heaviest bomb load
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »
In theory yes, but in practice things often look(ed) a bit differently.
First, unless something has changed radically in the past two years, most AH fighter pilots don't even bother to get in a proper overhead attack position. In fact, a higher percentage those climbing up to me at 30k  took some extra time to attack me properly than those who would encounter my B-29s  at 20k or below.

The B-29 is also immensely fast at lower altitudes, so that the combination of speed, sturdiness, and firepower makes them very much survivable at 20k or even lower.

I looked up my plane kills & losses of my B-29 runs from March 2012 to January 2019 and compared them to my sortie altitudes:

(Image removed from quote.)

As you can see, I did much better at <20K than in the 20-24.5k altitude band. Much more 'casual' fighter pilots with lazy approaches and less-than optimum planes tried their luck with me. Above 20k it's more the dedicated hunters (with a better choice of planes) coming into play, with my chances improving again above 25k when altitude alone starts to make interception more difficult for the fighter pilot.

the idea that at lower alts you find less skilled attackers makes sense. But don't you end up with both the skilled AND the unskilled?  Dedicated is a good term for it. If I up and go hunt High altitude Buffs it's a 40minute adventure.  :salute

YEs, miss you in-game Snailman.
Who is John Galt?

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
I just did a b29 sortie at 18 to 20k alt and no one intercepted me :(   :furious

Did land 47.5k damage tho, that was sweet. Only 6 perk points tho lmao :)
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 01:20:17 AM »
I just did a b29 sortie at 18 to 20k alt and no one intercepted me :(   :furious

Did land 47.5k damage tho, that was sweet. Only 6 perk points tho lmao :)

Only 6??? That's quite high for a 29 sortie even for a milk run standards. Must have been on the clean side of end to get that kind of perk multiplier score. I've cleared 60k and got 2 perks before.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »
Only 6 perk points tho lmao :)

That's a fortune!
When I was flying B-29 missions, I made an average of -15 perks per run. Flying perk bombers is an expensive hobby  :old:
(The most I ever lost in a single sortie: -424.4. Went AFK into a mountain. Ouch   :uhoh)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
I think each buff was 103 perkies, so 309 in total. I porked 3 town centers to see how much damage I could do since I haven't done that in like a year so.

50% fuel load, 4x4000lbs. Fuel was a bit too much, but last time I took 25% I literally landed with a few gallons to spare lol.
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 03:46:19 PM »
I think each buff was 103 perkies, so 309 in total. I porked 3 town centers to see how much damage I could do since I haven't done that in like a year so.

50% fuel load, 4x4000lbs. Fuel was a bit too much, but last time I took 25% I literally landed with a few gallons to spare lol.
you'd be surprised how much fuel you can save AND how much time you don't lose by not running at full throttle the entire flight. Maybe try that next time. Had you been intercepted and had a fuel bag punctured you were surely doomed. :azn:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »
That's a fortune!
When I was flying B-29 missions, I made an average of -15 perks per run. Flying perk bombers is an expensive hobby  :old:
(The most I ever lost in a single sortie: -424.4. Went AFK into a mountain. Ouch   :uhoh)
was a time in this game when I coveted those perks so much when something like that happened I could of used a certain hotline to get me through... :bhead