Author Topic: Tank Perks....Needed?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Tank Perks....Needed?
« on: May 12, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
I think Uber tanks like the Tiger, and Tiger2 aren't very Uber at all in AH. Neither is the Panther.  I would love to see the perks dropped for a while to see how unrestricted Tank useage would shake out. 

Because of the voluminous trees and rolling terrain of almost every map, most tank kills occur inside of 1500 yrds. It those ranges Everything get's killed with one shot if hit at the right angle. (maybe a T2 takes two shots.  A T-34-85 with HVAP and 32 MPH top speed is the deadliest tank in the game. Since defensive armor is meaningless when crawling around a forest of V-base and ambushing enemies at 800, 600 yards...Speed because more important. It's 7-10 mph faster than every other tank or Whirble. The 85mm gun on a T-34 will kill anything inside 1500yards, and I'm almost never shooting or being shot at by a tank from further away because the terrain doesn't allow for many longer engagements. The close proximity makes Uber tanks...just slower tanks.  It would be fun to see more of them in use, and see which tank people settle on as the tank of choice. I think the Perks are actually not necessary.

If the terrains had large open plains to slug it out at 3K that would be different. But such a place would be called "bombard" field. When the trees are gone the planes show up. So alas no such long range tank fight when Tigers would be uber ever really happen in AH3.

Lets lower the perks so we can get some use out of them.   :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Tank Perks....Needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
Never seen you in a tank.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »
I think Uber tanks like the Tiger, and Tiger2 aren't very Uber at all in AH. Neither is the Panther.  I would love to see the perks dropped for a while to see how unrestricted Tank useage would shake out. 

Because of the voluminous trees and rolling terrain of almost every map, most tank kills occur inside of 1500 yrds. It those ranges Everything get's killed with one shot if hit at the right angle. (maybe a T2 takes two shots.  A T-34-85 with HVAP and 32 MPH top speed is the deadliest tank in the game. Since defensive armor is meaningless when crawling around a forest of V-base and ambushing enemies at 800, 600 yards...Speed because more important. It's 7-10 mph faster than every other tank or Whirble. The 85mm gun on a T-34 will kill anything inside 1500yards, and I'm almost never shooting or being shot at by a tank from further away because the terrain doesn't allow for many longer engagements. The close proximity makes Uber tanks...just slower tanks.  It would be fun to see more of them in use, and see which tank people settle on as the tank of choice. I think the Perks are actually not necessary.

If the terrains had large open plains to slug it out at 3K that would be different. But such a place would be called "bombard" field. When the trees are gone the planes show up. So alas no such long range tank fight when Tigers would be uber ever really happen in AH3.

Lets lower the perks so we can get some use out of them.   :salute

Yes indeed. Stated exactly how I’ve felt about since coming back to the game (AH3).
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 04:31:57 PM »
Combat ranges will vary depending on the map (or the terrain), in the Baltic map long ranging is very possible in most areas of the map. Any hilly terrain will lend itself to long range running. With that said, I suspect the majority of my kills are within the 1500 yds. you expressed.

I think the hardest tank for me to kill is the Jagpanzer IV-70, short range, you have to hit it at a specific location on a frontal shot to kill it. 27th is VERY good in it. The Panther is not as easy as you describe for me. Side shots or rear shots are easy, again frontal shots you have to hit a specific locations to kill it at short range.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
  A T-34-85 with HVAP and 32 MPH top speed is the deadliest tank in the game. Since defensive armor is meaningless when crawling around a forest of V-base and ambushing enemies at 800, 600 yards...Speed because more important. It's 7-10 mph faster than every other tank or Whirble. The 85mm gun on a T-34 will kill anything inside 1500yards, and I'm almost never shooting or being shot at by a tank from further away because the terrain doesn't allow for many longer engagements.

Yak3 of tanks?  :bolt:

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:15:11 PM »

<--- counts vinkman
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 11:49:45 PM »
If there weren't any tank perks wouldn't everyone just drive a T2 for the most part?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:49 AM »
If there weren't any tank perks wouldn't everyone just drive a T2 for the most part?

No, too slow, the turret turns too slow as well, and the reload takes forever.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »
The price of the perks is ok IMHO. Autoselecting for country will allow you to select these perked tanks at a real bargain. Sometimes the T-2 is as low as 60. That is a good deal.
The generation of perks is pretty good with Autoselection too.

What ever you do.....please don't ask to perk the little harmless M-8 because it counts Vinkman.  :D

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 02:38:10 PM »

I'm in a tank a lot. This months (due to low numbers I'm sure) I'm ranked in the top 20 for GVs. lol.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 02:40:31 PM »
For base defense I would say yes. For assault I assume people would still stick to the T-34-85 or Panther for speed.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 02:43:17 PM »
No, too slow, the turret turns too slow as well, and the reload takes forever.

That's what I think. Be worth figuring out by letting them all be free for a while.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 02:48:01 PM »
Spikes is right, the T2 is real good for base defense, unless you have bomb****s around.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 11:46:19 PM »
That is one of the things I miss about Trinity, the long range engagements that took place at that one airfield just W of the huge mountains.  Attackers spawns way out up the hill and would have to roll down to get to the field and town.  I had gotten fairly decent with picking folks off as they raced down the hill, or tried to duke it out from up there, and the Tiger and Tiger 2 were my choice tanks for this.  I'd also use the Panther as well, as her gun worked reasonably well at range.  I cannot remember when the TD's came along, but I think it was after Trinity was pulled?  :headscratch: Missed my chance of using those gals if they were around with Trinity.

The few times I've logged in and used a tank, it's as Vinkman says, engagement ranges are close quarters.  A Tiger and Tiger 2 suffers pretty badly, especially without support.  But even with support, it's dicey.  And personally I haven't seen a TD used in ages.

The prices are pretty damn high, and if anything, the 85 might need an increased perk cost as well, based off of what I've read here so far. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
I agree the best overall tank in the game is the T34/85. It has the speed, the armor and firepower for 98% of the action needed. The only frustration I have with it is it's effectiveness seems to vary dramatically from sortie to sortie. One sortie I'm getting 1 shot kills, the next, 4 rounds do nothing.  :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76