Author Topic: Midway (2019)  (Read 2754 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: Midway (2019)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 04:58:58 PM »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »
I enjoyed it for what it is.

I used to be a rivet counter and demanded all the historyz.

I gave up on that years ago. Life's way to short for that.

There is a happy medium between history lite and counting rivots, Midway falls well short of that medium for me. Granted, I have never seen it, just one scene and lost count of how many things pissed me off. I remember yelling at the TV as I paused it "Nope!"
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
If you vo to these movies looking for a documentary your a fool. If you go looking for an action flick with some pretty good cgi you will most likely enjoy it.

Why would you go to a baseball game and expect to see a football game.?

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 07:05:28 PM »
If you vo to these movies looking for a documentary your a fool. If you go looking for an action flick with some pretty good cgi you will most likely enjoy it.

I am sure this post will be futile, but why not?

It is not that I expect a documentary, I just expect more effort. It is not hard to get colors, aircraft, and terminology correct. It takes very little effort to get accurate information. It is like people who use words and names in their Gamer ID but misspell them, how hard is it to check? It takes one pilot looking at the SBD landing scene to say, "Wait a sec, we need to change some things." Not asking for a documentary, just asking for slightly more awareness and effort.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 09:04:27 PM »

It is not that I expect a documentary, I just expect more effort. It is not hard to get colors, aircraft, and terminology correct. It takes very little effort to get accurate information. It is like people who use words and names in their Gamer ID but misspell them, how hard is it to check? It takes one pilot looking at the SBD landing scene to say, "Wait a sec, we need to change some things." Not asking for a documentary, just asking for slightly more awareness and effort.

Understood, but that is not the kind of movie they were making. Just watching the previews would have told you that, at which point you either change your expectations, or dont watch it. Beating up a movie because it wasnt "realistic" enough for you isnt fair because that isnt the movie they were making.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 08:53:06 AM »

What Hollywood movie has ever been totally accurate from every angle?  The military “advisors” for these movies must be banging their heads on a wall when the movie makers go into full drama mode and blow off accuracy.  Expecting complete accuracy will always be disappointing. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »

worth quoting

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »
I enjoyed the movie from an entertainment perspective. I thought they kept the action going very well. It was not made by a Hollywood production which I think was a good thing. I dont necessarily think they did a great job of really depicting the whole battle though. They moreso just followed one squad that had a big impact in ending the battle. I was happy there wasn't a lot of love drama fluff. There wasn't a lot of downtime boring parts which I liked. There wasn't a lot of character development which was fine. I just think they could have explained the battle a little better. I feel like the movie should have been named after the squad, rather than encompass it for all of Midway. It was a bit cheesy at time, which is expected. I enjoyed watching it in the theater from a entertainment perspective, but I wouldn't use the movie to take history notes.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
From a history teacher standpoint, I can use it to show students the difficulty in attacking fleets and stuff like that. That’s what I look for in movies like this. Can I use it in the classroom for visuals. Watching clips from movies are far more effective than actual gun cam footage and film. And, no, I would never use stuff like this to actually teach an event.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 11:52:00 AM »
From a history teacher standpoint, I can use it to show students the difficulty in attacking fleets and stuff like that. That’s what I look for in movies like this. Can I use it in the classroom for visuals. Watching clips from movies are far more effective than actual gun cam footage and film. And, no, I would never use stuff like this to actually teach an event.

It definitely puts into perspective how scary and deadly that damn puff ack was. Some of those scenes were pretty intense. Really shows how brave those guys were - on both sides for that matter.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 12:31:42 PM »
It definitely puts into perspective how scary and deadly that damn puff ack was. Some of those scenes were pretty intense. Really shows how brave those guys were - on both sides for that matter.

To that point I'd be curious to know how many planes were shot down by ack that were diving straight at the ships vs flying 8k above them in the opposite direction

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals