Author Topic: Military courtesy  (Read 715 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Military courtesy
« on: May 28, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
I was stationed in Germany 1968 - 69. I was in ordnance attached to headquarters battery for the 32nd Aradcom my job was provide maintenance on radars and computers for the Nike Hercules system. The winter had been really cold so I was wearing a cold weather parka and a hat with earflaps no rank or name tag where   visible. I was at Alpha Battery walking under a covered walkway . I passed a 2nd Lieutenant It was customary to greet the officer so I said good morning Sir. And walked on  by. He immediately called me out and questioned me why I hadn't saluted him. I said Sir we're undercover and I'm not required to salute you. He disagreed and told me I was required to salute him. So I said pardon me Sir give him a salute and turned to walk away. That's when the donut chewing  really got started. He preceded to tell me that I would be there a long time and he would keep an eye out for me. I laughed to myself since I wasn't in his unit apologized and walked away. I couldn't help thinking for the next year if he was still there at Alpha battery waiting to make my life miserable.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:02:48 AM by 1Cane »
AkCaine

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Military courtesy
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
 :rofl

Tech school, Sheppard AFB, 36300 Teletype Repairman Class. I attended class from 6 AM to Noon, then we straggled to lunch. There a large number of "90 Day Wonders" (2nd Lt.) in classes there as well. Any time we saw one coming down the sidewalk a bunch of us would spread out, each saluting individually, as we passed the officer, poor guy his right arm was tired by the time he got past us. After a while the smart ones would see us coming and cross over to the other side of the street. :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 02:14:16 PM »
All Aces  High ... Military whether Active, Reserve, Retired or Vets  have a safe   Memorial day weekend. 

Ground Pounders ...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »
I served in the Navy from 76-82. Was stationed on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower for most of that time. From time to time we would have visiting ROTC on board. The fun would start when you would do that "slide" down the ladders like you see in the movies. There is a trick to it and it takes a bit of practice but you could usually get a few of them to follow you down a few ladders and wasnt long before you had a pig pile of little ROTCers in a heap at the bottom of a ladder.  :devil

Also when the new Lieutenants came aboard, many were pumped up with themselves. They learned pretty quick you didnt mess with the guys who took care of your AC.   :devil

Ahhh the good ol' days! <S> to all who have served and who serve today.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 11:37:25 AM »
I served in the Navy from 76-82. Was stationed on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower for most of that time. From time to time we would have visiting ROTC on board. The fun would start when you would do that "slide" down the ladders like you see in the movies. There is a trick to it and it takes a bit of practice but you could usually get a few of them to follow you down a few ladders and wasnt long before you had a pig pile of little ROTCers in a heap at the bottom of a ladder.  :devil

Also when the new Lieutenants came aboard, many were pumped up with themselves. They learned pretty quick you didnt mess with the guys who took care of your AC.   :devil

Ahhh the good ol' days! <S> to all who have served and who serve today.

Reference this

https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/a-mk-76-tale/

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »
More on the infamous alpha battery

In 1968 the Soviet Union invaded Czechoslovakia. We had gone to a war setting. The migs we're running up and down the border waiting for the go signal. Our Air Force was doing the same on our side. Alpha battery was locked on enemy targets waiting for the go signal.

There was a test we would do to peak the performance of our radars where we would lock on a high power acquisition radar that belonged to the Air Force that we called the mix master. Unbeknownst 2A battery they were still in test mode and were locked on the mix master. The first shot they would have fired would have blown the mix master to hell. Lucky for the Russians and us no shots were fired. The United states army most dangerous army in the world two friends or foes :banana: :banana:
AkCaine

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women