Author Topic: P-51D 361stFG 375thFS Lt Urban Drew "Detroit Miss"  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-51D 361stFG 375thFS Lt Urban Drew "Detroit Miss"
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »
I love the sheen on the aft fuselage.   That is so well done.   Also the belly detail with the gear doors and center wing panel.   

Just good stuff.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
Thanks!

I had a time deciding on the height of the D-Day invasion stripes also.  Many profiles show them with a gap of bare metal between the Star & Bar insignia, but some show them extending up to the insignia.  I found no photos of his plane that show the top of the stripes, but a few B&W photos of other 361st FG '51s that do.   I'm guessing of course, but I think its possible both could be correct - at some point they extended, and at another point they were trimmed, leaving the gap of bare metal between insignia and the top of the stripes.

Wow as far as red v. blue, this stuck out to me from your link:
This plane has popularly been depicted as having red on those areas over the years. I’ve seen restored planes, illustrations and models all using that scheme... but I have to ask myself “why?” since there are no colour photos of Detroit Miss (or even showing the tail itself) - why are folks using red?

Ive purchased a set of decals from “lifelike decals” for Drew’s plane, and they have indicated the squadron colours as actually being a medium blue! This seems correct since 375th FS’s colours are indeed blue. I even contacted the imperial war museum to confirm the FS colours and they replied stating blue.

Just when I thought I’d wrapped the mystery up, I was browsing through a book “Mustang aces of the 8th Air Force” and it states that Drew’s plane used 374th squadron colours (red?)!! Why would a senior figure in the 375th fs be flying using colours from another squadron? What is their source for this information anyhow?

Very interesting.   I also don't doubt at some point the rudder was painted - I think near the end of the War, they really went in for extensive color coding and had the time and the paint.   

Like you say, perhaps Lyric can find something definitive. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 04:34:18 PM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 06:48:00 PM »
But why change the letters and not the colors?   :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2021, 07:18:53 PM »
Did Lt. Drew change squadrons? That could be the answer.

I've seen examples of Luftwaffe pilots changing squadrons and not changing the squadron colors on their personal aircraft.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 09:43:06 PM »
All the service history I can find for him say the same - shipped out from US for ETO after being a flight instructor, assigned to 375th FS and rose to command a flight and later the entire squadron.

He did seem to fly a lot of different planes, but that's probably normal.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 02:24:05 AM »
Thanks!

I had a time deciding on the height of the D-Day invasion stripes also.  Many profiles show them with a gap of bare metal between the Star & Bar insignia, but some show them extending up to the insignia.  I found no photos of his plane that show the top of the stripes, but a few B&W photos of other 361st FG '51s that do.   I'm guessing of course, but I think its possible both could be correct - at some point they extended, and at another point they were trimmed, leaving the gap of bare metal between insignia and the top of the stripes.

Wow as far as red v. blue, this stuck out to me from your link:
Very interesting.   I also don't doubt at some point the rudder was painted - I think near the end of the War, they really went in for extensive color coding and had the time and the paint.   

Like you say, perhaps Lyric can find something definitive.

Sorry have not been on much have had visitors. Just a quick look for colour photos of this group first finding that I had posted before.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 02:58:48 AM by lyric1 »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 03:05:54 AM »
Sorry have not been on much have had visitors. Just a quick look for colour photos of this group first finding that I had posted before.

(Image removed from quote.)

Found a 78th fighter group aircraft with the same red tip on the vertical stab.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »
Love seeing these new P-51s Oboe! Keep it up! Great Bare Metal Finish work! Top Notch!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!