Author Topic: PC  (Read 905 times)

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
PC
« on: July 10, 2021, 01:23:32 AM »
My PC has pretty much crapped out, last night proved I can’t patch it together anymore.
What I would  like is opinions on a good gaming pc in the $1500 range.

Thanks;
Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: PC
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 02:53:41 AM »
Look at https://pcpartpicker.com/, they have some predesigned versions on the front page and more inside. They'll give you an idea about the current price range. Seeing what they recommend you can then use their builder system for your own compilations, weighing the components by your needs.

Another good source is https://www.logicalincrements.com/ telling where you can save and where not.

At the moment there's lack of components which shows in the prices. Video cards have long been overpriced to about double to what they should be, and I just heard that the memory prices have doubled in a year. This is not the best time to get a new rig!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:57:01 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 06:37:16 AM »
Agree with Bizman on current pricing. Your best bet is to scout around for a used system that will get you by until the supply chain settles down. Most computer repair stores have reliable systems at affordable costs.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 11:34:12 AM »
A used computer is a good choice. My current i7-4790 one cost me €300 a year ago, I auctioned the GTX970 for €80 and got a GTX980 for a little more from a friend. Runs AH (and PUBG) like a charm at 2560x1600/60Hz.

Blaming solely the bitmoney market isn't the only reason for high prices. There's a huge lack of semiconductors which is both directly and indirectly related to Covid19. Directly, the few factories on the market were affected for a while. Indirectly Covid is still the culprit: Due the restrictions people couldn't travel or go 'out' which saved them money which they want to save on entertainment electronics like PC's, game consoles, home theaters and whatnot. Working from home also raised the demand of better home computers and peripherals. The automobile industry needs a lot of semiconductors as well, a modern car has three times the code lines than an F-35 fighter!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »
Ibuypower.com

They have good deals. You can build your own setup for them to make. I just got a ryzen 7 3900x with a gtx 3060 and 1.5 TB of storage for just about $1500. If you wanted something a little less. The HP Omen might be a good option in the $1200 range.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:27:55 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 07:12:45 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, it will give me some options to look at.

Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 08:47:34 AM »
Get a recent copy of PC Gamer magazine. In the back of every issue is the latest machine builds component by component for a "Budget" build, a "Mid Range" build and an "Advanced" build.
When I had my machine built, I just took the magazine to the shop, showed the young man the machine I wanted and they put it together.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 08:34:53 AM »
I’ve narrowed it down to 3 manufacturers: Skytech, Ibuypower and Cyberpower. Any opinions on which is the better brand?
Thanks
Goat

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »
I’ve narrowed it down to 3 manufacturers: Skytech, Ibuypower and Cyberpower. Any opinions on which is the better brand?
Thanks
Goat

Got my last 2 at cyberpower, first one 12 years ago and it can still play AH with everything at mid level graphics. Never had a problem with it. New one i got last year so i could play Hell Let Loose above potato graphic settings. So far it's very solid and and seems built as good as my other, If i need another I'll be going back.

Offline Skeeter0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 03:30:58 PM »
Goat, I would recommend Ibuypower. I have had three and the latest is the best so far. Look for NVME card slot SSD drives and a good graphics card and you are going to be very happy. I have an 2080 card because my system is 3 years old. I upgrade the HD to to a 1 terabyte NVME and have my old half terra NVME as a storage drive. I can't imagine it getting much better for the money I spent. You should get all you want for $1500, but I would say maybe $1200. GOod luck

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 12:00:30 PM »
Ibuypower.com

They have good deals. You can build your own setup for them to make. I just got a ryzen 7 3900x with a gtx 3060 and 1.5 TB of storage for just about $1500. If you wanted something a little less. The HP Omen might be a good option in the $1200 range.

L. O. L.

They suck.
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »
PM me goat and I'll hook you up
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag