Author Topic: Minimum bw for seamless gameplay  (Read 658 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Minimum bw for seamless gameplay
« on: February 16, 2022, 06:05:54 AM »
Not a question I've ever had to ask before because when I was in game I lived in Arlington and had some awesome bandwidth.  Now that I'm out in the sticks it aint so great.  I'd like to know I have seamless game play when I log in. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Minimum bw for seamless gameplay
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »
They used to say that speed is not as relevant as stability. Even a 56 kbps dial-up modem should do as long as there's not much jitter. Land based broadband is recommended, though: https://www.hitechcreations.com/gameinfo/gameinfo-minimumreq.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 10:05:36 AM »
Starlink seems to be the exception regarding satellite connections.  It has worked the best by far for me of all options I have had here.  4G & 3 G were okay too, but not nearly as good, at least here where I live in in rural MT.  At one time I used dialup for AH because of the relatively low latency, and satellite (Wild Blue) because it had better bandwidth, but terrible latency; that was some time ago and prior to having cell service available here.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 07:29:10 AM »
Starlink has a lot lower latency than other satellite internet - most satellite internet is based on geosynchronous satellites, which have a round trip time (between you and your destination) of around a half second at minimum - this requires TWO round trips to geosynchronous orbit for a total of 88000 miles or more.  Starlink's satellites are at around 350 miles above the earth, and with the number of satellites in orbit you can have round trip times of only 20 - 50 milliseconds.  Add that Starlink limits the number of customers in a given area to avoid bottlenecking, and your connection should be much more stable with Starlink.

Mike