Author Topic: Before Aces High  (Read 4280 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Before Aces High
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
In Airwarrior by Kesmai, Hitech made a viewer where you could analyze your dogfights.  It might have been the first film recorder in the game.  If I remember correctly it had a in cockpit view and an exterior view which you could move around.  It was wire based graphics and I believe that you could actually fly your plane, changing its path etc, at any point but the other planes never changed from their actual recorded paths.

That is near exactly as I remember it happening, Fencer....

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 07:13:07 PM »
I happened upon Air Warrior in '95 on AOL-hell-dialup......25 wasted years followed :aok
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
I happened upon Air Warrior in '95 on AOL-hell-dialup......25 wasted years followed :aok

25 *enhanced* years followed!  :aok

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
For me, before Aces High came European Air War.....followed by the complete let down that was Microprose's B-17 II.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
In the very beginning, when I was a kid I would pretend, and use my imagination that I was flying a fighter. I remember thinking how neat it would be if there was some way to experience what I imagined. This was even before Pong was was released, so I couldn't have dreamed where we would end up.

<S>
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »

I was thinking it started with computer games but if not...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
In the very beginning, when I was a kid I would pretend, and use my imagination that I was flying a fighter. I remember thinking how neat it would be if there was some way to experience what I imagined. This was even before Pong was was released, so I couldn't have dreamed where we would end up.

<S>
Sik

Well said -- same for me.  :aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 06:06:33 PM »
Well, if we're going back that far, this gave me hours upon hours of enjoyment (circa 1967ish):

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2021, 07:24:44 PM »
Well, if we're going back that far, this gave me hours upon hours of enjoyment (circa 1967ish):

(Image removed from quote.)

Arlo these started my addiction also. I then moved up to the hard stuff. Plastic model kits.  :devil :cheers:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »
I was bitten by the aircraft bug before I was able to form sentences I am sure. I was always fascinated by planes. When much younger I was very much into building model airplanes. I had enough that there was no way I could store all of them on my dresser or desk. I divided up the ceiling in my bedroom into aircraft era's. I had WW1, WW2 and Korea. I had suspended the models from the ceiling in dogfight poses with those of opposing sides as I imagined them flying. Then along came my little sister who gleefully cut the strings and let them hit the floor. All that time carefully building and painting gone, not to mention all the money I scrounged and did odd jobs and washing cars to get. After that I never built another model lest it too fall victim to my mother's little princess.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »
I started out with Jet by SubLogic.  Played the heck out of it when I was a kid.  Then came Red Baron and F-19 Stealth Fighter.  In the 90s, I found one of the online sims, Confirmed Kill or possibly Warbirds at the time, and saw that it was an hourly fee.  I knew myself and what would likely happen with that, and instead chose rent and food.

Discovered Warbirds in 2007 and played it for a while, then came over here.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »
Who remembers Flight Unlimited and EF2000? They were my first VR flight sims, both supported VR out of the box (mid-90s).

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2021, 07:34:43 PM »
Sublogic flight sim (1980) on Apple II.
SWOTL
Warbirds from early -97
AH for 9 years
Cliffs of Dover
Currenly I play Il2 Sturmovik Box with Loose Deuce squadron.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2021, 01:28:35 PM »
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, LHX Attack Chopper and Red Baron were the formative sims for me. Then Air Warrior. Recently put my old Franken PC back in operation to run them and stuff like Duke Nukem fur fun. Can video capture that stuff now waaay better than was even possible then. After that I moved to Aces High and dabble in IL2. DCS is too much of a stretch for me. Appears too hard to fly and get even the slightest drink on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2021, 06:38:29 PM »
I KNEW I was forgetting one.  I had a copy of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat as well!  For kicks I would "jump" B-52's with the 190.  You can figure how well that generally went. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.