Author Topic: Anyone play DCS World?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Anyone play DCS World?
« on: July 30, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »
I finally caved and downloaded DCS World.  Took some getting used to but I bought the UH1 Huey and started doing Campaigns. 

I’m trying to learn about the servers and how to use Discord so I can try out some multiplayer stuff.

Anyone in DCS?

Anyone fly the Huey?  Please recommend a server.  I’m actually getting half descent landing that thing!  🤣
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
Re: Anyone play DCS World?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:23:27 PM »
Hey man, I play dcs when I can. The Hornet is my go to but I fly the Huey once in a while. A buddy showed me a fun Huey server just last week, has a bunch of multicrew slots and different missions. I'll see if I can track down the name.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 05:46:48 PM »
I think the graphics are great! I never could get my X56 stick to work properly after several tries. Having to go through a tedious start up procedure really isn't for me. The fact that they had a Mustang, P47D40 and a Spit 9 just seems like a poor selection. On the axis side they had the 190A8, 190D and 109K4. Very long download time with very steep learning curve.  :old:
AkCaine

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:07:42 AM »
Spotting is the problem in DCS for me

The icons used for the canned missions are terrible while the multiplayer servers don't you them which makes spotting the majority of bogies impossible for my mr magoo vision.

Engine management is a pain when you are not used to it.

Might be great for modern setups using radar and missiles but that's not for me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »
I finally caved and downloaded DCS World.  Took some getting used to but I bought the UH1 Huey and started doing Campaigns. 

I’m trying to learn about the servers and how to use Discord so I can try out some multiplayer stuff.

Anyone in DCS?

Anyone fly the Huey?  Please recommend a server.  I’m actually getting half descent landing that thing!  🤣

I'm on DCS, but pretty much only flying the Viper currently.  My brother in-law flies the real thing at Shaw AFB, so I'm kind of engrossed in learning it and flying with him, when he has time. 

For Multiplayer servers, find a facebook DCS group that is centered on the aircraft you like to fly the most (UH-1, F-16, F-18 etc) and find a squadron that fits your desired level of flying (relaxed/ some realism/ full milsim).  There are a ton of folks out there who are  currently military, as well as retired, who fly on DCS, and the times you can have are really amazing. 

Not comparable to the all-out brawls here, as the fights need to be set up and moderated by individual squadrons, but I've flown plenty of RED v Blue scenarios in DCS that were 10v10 or higher, plus NPC aircraft.  Most DCS wings have multiple squadrons of both fixed and rotary assets to run with. I've flown multiple events where there were search and rescue helos up to pick up downed fast movers.  The big drawback is the technical time you have to put into an air frame in DCS to get picked up by a squadron that actually runs a lot of events.  Most of them are run like real squadrons in the real world, where you have to prove competence in your selected air frame and then move through check rides (wing, element lead, flight lead etc).

Cheers

Cheers
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »
The WWII stuff in dcs is almost an afterthought. They're kinda trying but it's a long ways from being worth it. I do have the spit IX but I pretty much just use dcs for the stuff I can't fly here.

Knot, I heard the search and rescue server (actual name) is really good for helos. Haven't been on it yet but it has SAR, firefighting, medivac. I'll probably be on tonight and tomorrow night if you want to check out some servers. I'll have teamspeak open if you want to jump on.

Oh I should ask are you running DCS stable or open beta? Pretty much everyone uses open beta so your server selection might be limited in stable.

Arabian Knights

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »
I have DCS World, and it looks amazing in VR and my triple screen setup. My problem is that I don't have enough time to learn the intricacies of all the aircraft I have bought.

Still, I will definitely drop more cash on the upcoming F-8 Crusader, A-7 Corsair II, and the A-6 Intruder.  :cheers:
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 07:31:46 AM »
I have DCS World, and it looks amazing in VR and my triple screen setup. My problem is that I don't have enough time to learn the intricacies of all the aircraft I have bought.

Still, I will definitely drop more cash on the upcoming F-8 Crusader, A-7 Corsair II, and the A-6 Intruder.  :cheers:

How do you find spotting planes in vr on multiplayer servers?

Next to impossible for me with a vive pro and given the "realistic" map with no icons it is usually a nice fly around for 20 to 30 min trying not to overheat the engine usually ending with some  plane I usually do not see shooting me down
Pretty game but not near the entertainment I find here

As mentioned WW2 was an afterthought...jets with dar and missile work as you don't need to visually see them to engage

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
How do you find spotting planes in vr on multiplayer servers?

I have never played online.

I use DCS like MSFS - I do the tutorials and fly around for fun. Occasionally, I'll fly Sabres vs MiGs with icons on.

Like you, I feel like Aces High delivers the best entertainment for online play. I do fly IL2 Sturmovik Great battles online, and I find it fun, but the iconless servers makes it difficult. 
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 11:44:00 AM »
I don't usually have an issue spotting planes with my reverb G2. Though with AWACS, rwr, and Datalink I usually have an idea where to look. It was much worse with my old rift cv1.

Arabian Knights

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 02:46:22 AM »
I have never played online.

I use DCS like MSFS - I do the tutorials and fly around for fun. Occasionally, I'll fly Sabres vs MiGs with icons on.

Like you, I feel like Aces High delivers the best entertainment for online play. I do fly IL2 Sturmovik Great battles online, and I find it fun, but the iconless servers makes it difficult.

I just fly around in the Huey for fun in DCS. But now that I've found ARMA 3 I took all the DCs files off my hard drive as the Huey action is way better in ARMA 3.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 06:26:36 PM »
I got into it to fly the harrier and after landing that on a carrier without too much hassle jumped into the WW2 stuff.

Storm of War is the most populated server but peak time is GMT Euro hours.   To succeed you need the eyes of an eagle and the prowess of a fighter pilot hero. 

There is even a chap called Midway in there that is the most amazing groundpounder I have ever seen.  I asked him if he was our Midway but he dodged the question "i used to play airwarrior".    :noid  :uhoh   :bolt:

I do struggle with the immersion of it, can't concentrate on spotting, flying and combat for hours on end.  It is stressful. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 11:19:49 AM »
Hello....I haven't been here in here's but someone revived an old thread recently...and that brought me into the BBS again

And then I saw this thread!

YES.  I'm very much into DCS over the past few years.  A few friends of mine fly a few times a week. 

I bought an Oculus Rift a few years ago and thought that was amazing.

Then I recently upgraded to a 3070...I wanted a 3090 but at this point, I took what I could get (way better than my 1070!).

I also upgraded to a HP Reverb G1.  A friend upgraded to the G2 and mailed this one to me.

I miss Aces High but I really, really enjoy the jets. 

Depending on the map we're flying, I bounce around between the F-14 Tomcat and the Mirage.

But I also enjoy the F-16, AV-8B Harrier and if I'm feeling really brave, the F-5E.

I hope my friends from way back are doing well.   :)