Author Topic: The Fighter Pilot  (Read 602 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
The Fighter Pilot
« on: August 12, 2021, 12:12:41 AM »

Fighter pilot is an attitude. It is cockiness. It is aggressiveness. It is self-confidence. It is a streak of rebelliousness, and it is competitiveness.

But there's something else - there's a spark. There's a desire to be good. To do well; in the eyes of your peers, and in your own mind.

I think it is love of that blue vault of sky that becomes your playground if, and only if, you are a fighter pilot.

You don't understand it if you fly from A to B in straight and level, and merely climb and descend. You're moving through the basement of that vault of blue.

A fighter pilot is a man in love with flying.

A fighter pilot sees not a cloud but beauty, not the ground but something remote from him something he doesn’t belong to as long as he’s airborne.

He’s a man who wants to be second best to no one.

Brig. Gen. Robin Olds

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Fighter Pilot
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 07:51:11 AM »
When I clicked on this post and saw that beautiful, almost breathtaking painting of the Phantom, the first thing that came to mind was Robin Olds.   

<S>

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »
 :salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Puma44 🙌

I have this somewhere in my server of archives of files but have searched through them several times over the past 15/20 or so years to no joy....fits right in there with "On Silver Wings" and other things written by those like Olds, Boyd, etc..

and I firmly agree and believe in what he wrote regarding "The Fighter Pilot" ....I  just missed out on my chance to see if  I could have made it to becoming one in real life unfortunately 🙃

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
It's an attitude that if more had the world would be a better place

Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312569513/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_4KN28X5F0RCFWXWBBW6M

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 07:02:36 PM »
Always admired Robin Olds, for his "fighter pilot" attitude, and I have always loved the Phantom, cuz it's a Phantom.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »
I'm gonna print this out, make a paper airplane out of it, and use it to throw at a girl I'm into lol
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag