Author Topic: Northco map  (Read 8936 times)

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
Re: Northco map
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2022, 08:57:59 AM »
I recall how this conversation has gone for years and years...

Eventually somebody is going to point out that HiTech designed this game so we, as pretend pilots or ground pounders, could try to have fun in any way that we choose...  Furballing, bomber runs to drop strats, GVing, etc etc...  It's up to us to find the niche of gameplay that we enjoy, then...  enjoy...

One of those possible game play choices that apparently a few people enjoy is rolling a map...  Taking bases from the pretend enemy.  It's a valid way to have fun...

In fact, base rolling is a great way for new pilots to get engaged with the game.  A little safety in the middle of the horde.  Maybe they won't get shot down 12 seconds after the merge.

Map rolling is a playstyle which some people actually enjoy.

I would like to think that a lot of players "grow" out of that as their flying skills improve, but some just truly enjoy the map taking game.

It's possible that we only really notice these guys when a smaller easier map pops up.  I somehow doubt that there is a significant number of players who wait for the one small map that the furballers like best...  or the GV'ers....  Then they suddenly band together and roll it...

Most likely these guys are hitting bases all the time, but the large maps are too difficult to win now days...

I can already see the words that HiTech would most likely type if he were to actually pop into this thread...  Probably would be something along the lines of...  "If you don't want a map rolled, you have all the tools to stop it in your toolbox"

Honestly, thats really what we want.  Three countries fighting it out over a map.  There's fun for every group in such a situation.   Furballers get to furball...  Horders get to horde.  Bombers get to bomb...  And tankers get to do those tanky things.

Maybe I'm talking about a panacea that can't exist in the current lower number world of Aces High 3... 

But these discussion are just re-runs...  It has all been hashed out before.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 08:59:46 AM by PFactorDavid »

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »
  Well said.   :salute
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2022, 09:30:40 AM »
It is a shame that the best map for dogfighters (Northco) is such a rare sight. Bummed I missed it this time around.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2022, 10:49:08 AM »
Excellent assessment there PFactorDavid. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2022, 06:30:24 PM »
It is a shame that the best map for dogfighters (Northco) is such a rare sight. Bummed I missed it this time around.

It is a shame that much of AH players rarely ever see this map, and when they do it’s short lived.

On 200 and country channel when I’ve mentioned this map many regular players say they don’t even know what map I’m referring to.

PFactor, those are definitely some good points you make. However, when a map is rolled with hardly any or no defense being put up, I fail to see how they find that fun or entertaining. These are not new players learning how to take bases, they are long time players that get some bizarre satisfaction out of rolling undefended base after base. I’ve switched countries to try to help stop them and keep the map up longer…hard to beat the horde.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2022, 02:24:03 AM »
Horde wins again, even in prime time hours. Uggh

At least it was up for 15 hours and morning/day time players got to see it for quite awhile.

While I was looking at the country status I noticed something that might be a big contributor to rolling this map so easily. That is it looked like only 5-6 enemy bases are needed to get the 20%.

When the horde gets rolling and facing little in defense, 5-6 bases is not much of an obstacle. 

Maybe the map needs more bases added to it?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2022, 08:36:22 AM »
Yep, only 6 bases per side to roll the map. One of the down sides to small maps.  :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2022, 08:48:33 AM »
Got to fly it yesterday for the first time, fantastic map with close spawns and close bases. I would definitely say an extra 4-5 bases per side would help immensely.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2022, 09:08:43 AM »
I never noticed before it has only small airfields - no medium or large.   I GV'ed on it yesterday, and it seems to have the rigth balance between trees and open spaces.

This is a real-world location IIRC - anyone know where it is? 

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »
Got to fly it yesterday for the first time, fantastic map with close spawns and close bases. I would definitely say an extra 4-5 bases per side would help immensely.

Pretty much the conclusion I have come to aswell.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2022, 11:12:04 AM »
Small map and funneling everything into a small area will mean quick changes. Not surprising.... just what many wanted.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2022, 02:28:32 PM »
Am I missing something?  What is the Northco Map?

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2022, 02:37:43 PM »
Here are the maps in the current rotation - I think Northco was the last to be added.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:39:22 PM by oboe »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2022, 03:02:06 PM »
I've only seen this map twice since I came back in Oct. '21.   

It wasn't until the second time I noticed the little Tank Town area in the SE corner.  Has it ever been used?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2022, 02:59:13 AM »
Huh?

Then what come back here and state what his response was?

Or he can speak up himself for the product he is making money from all of us on...

In other words I don't think that's our responsibility

Eagler
I didn't read Fugi's comment like that. IMO    My squaddie 'MOTHMAN', had emailed and emailed, about an idea he had. NO RESPONSE. So as any Marine would do.....PERCEVERE!!!   Call his butt...and BINGO!!!!!  YMMV     The"come back here and state what his response was"? Thats up to Person that acquires that Knowledge..he said no, or otherwise. Dont get me wrong, as you know me, I wont be holding my Breath in Anticipation. PURPLE is not my color..nor Red. I know YOU as well! Driven, by Love of the Game!   I have never tried to make a Map...clueless as to the process. With approving Maps, after Months Long Testing...no bugs as of yet. CANCELD! Yes he know the Code By Heart....but it seems Overly Protective.....NOT HISTORICAL/HOW GAME HAS BEEN ALLWAYS.  CHANGE? NOPE! Is he a Baptist?  :ahand I hold a bias, concerning 'Tempest" Cock pit...SO 2002(?)    How different, Historically, from Typhoon, that was updated in 2018 ish? Simply Copy and Paste, into the Tempest 'folder's? I guess, maybe? "Historically", maybe not, be accurate,  DAMNDED sure would Dress up, one of the Wars Iconic Planes in here? This is HIS BABY, I get it! I dont think that upgrade would drive away anyone? Eh? I started playing in, 'The We Want Upgrade"(pretty pictures, DCS/WARTHUNDER style) era 2014.....gives what he did....and lost 300 Whiners and several Windows XP ONLY, for ME users! :bhead  So I have a HARD TIME believing Dale doesnt care, but  Why should he?   He has what, 2 Girls/Daughters almost ..if NOT ALREADY in their Teens/Pre-Teens?  He has his hands full, dealing with THAT DRAMA, LET ALONE the stuff we throw at him!  :rofl This community is FAMILY TO ME! STILL THE BEST VR, Combat Sim out there!   MNM 3-07-2022: First time in what 5 Months, I showed up? When she,ULblizz/Niece gets here for Tuesday Family's Skip-Bo Night "Anne, the MNM guys told me to tell you.."GET IN HERE". "LOL...my first kill was Eagler!"    IMEDIATLEY HIT WITH,......"So, uh..you were in the Hurri..and swapped Planes as soon as you could?"  :uhoh  "YES MA'am! Sure DID! "            "CHICKEN!   I NEVER stopped upping in my Pink Spit."   "That is because you are the SIS'/Devil's Child!"and awesome bait! She is my partner, in Skip-Bo!!! WHOOPED DONKEY! Blizz and I vs Mom and Sis vs Dad and Dad! 3 to 0🤣     "Out of the Mouth of Babes"  :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain