Author Topic: planes being main-gunned by tanks  (Read 7865 times)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
Re: planes being main-gunned by tanks
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2021, 04:31:01 AM »
 :ahand

I say leave it as is.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »
Just for giggles I ran Tyfoo's numbers to see how much time he has in a gv. WOW!

Not quite DR7 numbers, but whos are!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 11:49:08 AM »
Well if you think it would help, I’m all for it. It wont, but if you are going to change one reality change them all by reciprocating and remove all range from the ground to the air as well…..I guess that probably wouldn’t happen?

The range may be used for reference by some but most shots are under 1.5 and a majority are at or under 1k. It’s a point, lead and shoot situation. Nobody is taking their time adjusting the gun site for 1.65k and firing. If they are they are doing it better than most of us.

I'm not suggesting that they're actually adjusting the range in the gun sight, but having the icon displaying the range it makes it easier to figure the right amount of elevation to give gun to counter the drop.

Again, I have not issue with tanks gunning down a plane that's flying right towards it at low level. My issue are tanks gunning down planes that are not a threat to the tank or one very close by.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »
Top down approaches on tanks at all times. Nothing needs to be fixed except attack strategy.  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 12:58:13 PM »
I'm not suggesting that they're actually adjusting the range in the gun sight, but having the icon displaying the range it makes it easier to figure the right amount of elevation to give gun to counter the drop.

Again, I have not issue with tanks gunning down a plane that's flying right towards it at low level. My issue are tanks gunning down planes that are not a threat to the tank or one very close by.
ummmm so as a gv only attack an aircraft if it's attacking you? Unless you're a wirb osti or M16?
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
ummmm so as a gv only attack an aircraft if it's attacking you? Unless you're a wirb osti or M16?

I think ethically, even the AAA GV's should leave fighters alone. But I'd hesitate to limit their ability. Main battle tanks, on the other hand, should have their ability to engage aircraft with the main gun curbed.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »
Rules of engagement don't HO and as a GV do not engage your craft unless they engage you... Hmm hey if you can convince the bad guys to stop shooting at me I'm in LOL I'm not ashamed to admit when I've had three or four guys on my six I see Tyfoo in a Gv I've asked him to clear my six I fly right over him he puts HE into the ground poof there's goes one I wait 1.5 seconds pull up into the right by then he's reloaded poof there's#2 then I fight#3 and 4 if I'm still alive
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:38:20 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »

Understood. However, the range does little (IMHO does nothing) in giving anybody an advantage. The majority of kill shots are taken from under 1k - 1.5k there is little adjustment in elevation required at this range (more or less put your site at the same elevation) up to the max vertical angle of the Main Gun. The difficulty at least for me - is in finding the proper lead of the moving target.

How are GVs to distinguish between what is a threat and was is not? Yes, you can see two guys Dog fighting at low level, the next minute one is strafing you or another friend is pointing you out. The reasonable solution? If an aircraft is low enough to be shot at - they get shot at. It is just as frustrating for GVs to get bombed when they are having a tank battle w/ no intention or ability to take a base. This has been going on since the day they introduced GVs. Its a fact of AH and my vote is to leave it as is.

Top down approaches on tanks at all times. Nothing needs to be fixed except attack strategy.  :aok

Agreed. This is the solution to the OPs concern.

Waystin, Atlau, NOTAR and few others know how to adjust their attack so as to stay just above the Max elevation of the Tanks gun. Without a Whirb or M16 near by the GV is in an indefensible position. I hate them. . . . .lol

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2021, 02:11:40 PM »
Ya NOTAR has tagged me when he was in his osti at 3k+ and when he's in his wirb if I get within 2k of him I'm usually on fire... Some players are just real good at what they do.. One time I asked him how he tagged me from that distance and was not flying in a straight line... He answered with two words... "Practice lol" that was good enough for me
"scott66"        

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »

the easiest fix for this is not allow the commander to fired a gun.........

I looked and tried to find any instance of a ww2 tank commander in World War II having Fire Control Systems. does anyone know of one?

and I would do away with the commanders superzoom and give up him binoculars...

CAV

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2021, 11:55:24 PM »
:pray How do you bomb a Brewster?

dive in with bombs when it spawns  :rock

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 12:08:35 AM »
dive in with bombs when it spawns  :rock

semp
lol never been bombed in my Brewster I have been rocketed tho
"scott66"        

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 12:32:11 AM »
I think ethically, even the AAA GV's should leave fighters alone. But I'd hesitate to limit their ability. Main battle tanks, on the other hand, should have their ability to engage aircraft with the main gun curbed.
Maybe it's time to give up methamphetamines?

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2021, 02:29:19 AM »
Maybe it's time to give up methamphetamines?

:rofl :banana: :cheers:

This conversation is a dead point. The game will stay as is. The only solution to this problem that you could ever implement is do not present a nice profile for veteran GV players to take advantage of. End of story :bolt:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2021, 02:35:05 AM »
the easiest fix for this is not allow the commander to fired a gun.........

I looked and tried to find any instance of a ww2 tank commander in World War II having Fire Control Systems. does anyone know of one?

and I would do away with the commanders superzoom and give up him binoculars...

CAV
y'all already helped take away GV spawns AND helped introduce GV dar.... Now we are going to limit gv's even further? Nahhhhhhh HiTech don't wanna take that $$ hit and I don't blame him.