Author Topic: DCS Apache  (Read 9335 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: DCS Apache
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2022, 09:30:48 AM »
There is still much more to this game than that, but complaining about a forum that you spend every single day on is rich.

Sorry.  Didn't mean to activate your cult reflex.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »
I have finally jumped into DCS. The graphics are pretty damn good. The P51D definitely does not fly the same as in AH haha. It seems you have to be even more gentle on the controls and its dreaded left snap roll pulling up too hard can cost ya. Taking off and landing are much harder. If you Rev them rpms too high your engine cuts off in 2 seconds lol. I got a good deal on planes when I first downloaded the game. Got the P51, P47. Spit, and F18. I am still in training so haven't really done anything but learn how to take off and land, and engage some easy mode AI in our training arena with the P51. I am now learning the F18 to learn the jets. I consider DCS more of a hobby rather than a game, because there is a lot to learn. I'd consider AH a good stepping stone for DCS though.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
I consider DCS more of a hobby rather than a game, because there is a lot to learn. I'd consider AH a good stepping stone for DCS though.

I don't disagree.  To me it feel like when you used to buy Falcon 3.0 or Tornado or Flanker.  You're buying a platform at a time and delving in deep.  I'll probably spend most of my time offline with missions and campaigns.  Playing when my schedule permits without having to rely on a server population.   

Totally different than AH as I told Eagler.  I don't see them as direct competitors like IL2 is.  WWII isn't their focus and not likely to be.  Though the Mossie looks nice.  If you are 100% limited to WWII, I don't think DCS is your best platform.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
Sorry.  Didn't mean to activate your cult reflex.

Oh please. Just because you didn't have fun in this game anymore does not mean other people don't.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »
Oh please. Just because you didn't have fun in this game anymore does not mean other people don't.

Did I say that? Or did I say the ROI has to be something that each person decides for themselves? Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

It’s like dealing with Scientologists.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2022, 04:34:36 PM »

BTW, for the cult members who get their skirts in a tangle, I don't consider DCS and Aces High competitors. 

AH doesn't have helos and jets and although DCS has a couple of token warbirds they apparently aren't interested pushing for that market.  I suspect they have made the calculation that IL2 has that market and doesn't compete with them on jets and helo so there is no point in overlapping. 

That is basically why the largest/most successful  WWII DCS server SoW has closed it's doors. 

So DCS isn't any more of a competitor to AH than MS Flightsim or iRacing or Arma or Battlefield. 

IL2 is AH's competitor, not DCS.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2022, 04:52:50 PM »
I didn't say they were competitors. I was just simply pointing out the irony in you complaining about a video game and associated forum ON the game's forum.

If you have such a problem with the alleged cult of Aces High, why are you here?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2022, 05:00:36 PM »
I didn't say they were competitors. I was just simply pointing out the irony in you complaining about a video game and associated forum ON the game's forum.

If you have such a problem with the alleged cult of Aces High, why are you here?

I have to join the cult in order to follow a game?  I don't join cults.  Sorry.  I wouldn't join a DCS cult either.  I call things the way I see them.

I follow multiple games on multiple forums.  You don't get a say in that.

I've followed AH over decades and came back when WWI was added, after VR was added, etc.  I don't have an account now, if I see significant development again, I might open an account again to check it out.

Is that OK with you high priestess?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »

Here is what I said:

It just depends on what you feel you are getting out of it. ;)  ROI is subjective so only you can answer that for yourself.

Next time ask for help with the big words.  Don't be ashamed. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2022, 05:37:30 PM »
Again, I am just pointing out the irony in complaining about a game and the associated forum on said forum. That is literally it.

Appreciate the personal attacks though!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 05:39:21 PM by Spikes »

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2022, 05:46:39 PM »
Again, I am just pointing out the irony in complaining about a game and the associated forum on said forum. That is literally it.

Again, I am just pointing out the irony in complaining that I don't think anyone is having fun with this game when I clearly said that is a completely personal evaluation based on each person's own criteria.

Thanks for accusing me of things I didn't say.  Things that I was very careful to specify.

You don't consider falsely representing what someone said a personal attack?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 05:49:28 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2022, 10:05:26 AM »
FYI, one of those sales I mentioned is coming up.  I'm sure Apache won't be on it as it is a new release, but incase you wanted to pick up a terrain or one of the other helo.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/79775544ccbbf0420c089039553257b2/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2022, 10:56:02 AM »
I find il2 annoying as you can't shut off the german voice yelling at you during the game ..

Icons and spotting are below par in both dcs and il2 compared to ah gameplay IMO

Pretty games but dcs shines post ww2 as you use radar for the majority of the engagements there

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2022, 11:30:41 AM »
Icons and spotting are below par in both dcs and il2 compared to ah gameplay IMO

I agree that post-WWII is DCS's best payoff.  Not everything has radar though like the Huey.

If you have icons on in DCS, I haven't noticed any real difference compared to AH.  They have different levels.  I like the one that simply places a little colored line by them just enough to help you pick them out of the clutter.  Not enough to blot out your view when there are several grouped together.

In all games, what I'd like to see is an intermittent icon switch button.  I'd like them to be off by default for emersion, and if I hold down a button have them show at a desired level and then vanish again if I let go of the button.  I feel that would a good compromise between realism and practical limits of resolution.  Off unless I need a little help for a second or two, then off again.

As I said, my only real interest at the moment is helo, and I find that attacking ground targets and road convoys at 100ft agl that icon are not that needed unless I'm attacking infantry.