Author Topic: DCS Apache  (Read 9394 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: DCS Apache
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2022, 12:38:27 PM »

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2022, 03:45:17 PM »

Added study aid for flight symbology: http://helo-ops.net/StudyAids  Let me know if you find any errors please.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2022, 04:07:44 PM »
This is just a preliminary, WIP version of the manual for Early Access (Not the final version), but good material to start getting up to speed if you are getting this module. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/ff1/58riet8hwrq4nnbw331qylkrofzy03mn/DCS_AH-64D_Quick_Start_Manual_EN.pdf
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:52:30 PM by CptTrips »

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Hmmm.  Unfortunately I am left-eye dominant.  Guess I'll be closing one eye often in VR.

If you fly in VR I believe you can set it up for that. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2022, 10:27:13 PM »
If you fly in VR I believe you can set it up for that.

Yep.  Saw later that you can switch left or right or have it render on both.  (they have to support people with various disabilities.  It's not the real military.)

I was having frame rate issues on my old machine in VR.  I've switched to 3 monitor (which ironically take less uhhhmp?)  and I bought TrackIR again and don't dislike it as much as I did the first time I tried trackIr.  So for now I'll stick with 3 monitors so it won't be a problem anyway.

Actually I don't think I will mind flat monitors so much for helo's.  You are not flipping around in 3 dimensions like dogfighting in fixed wing.  I don't find flat monitor really a disadvantage, but I'm sure the emersion is nice in VR.

For the Apache, I plan on concentrating on being a front seater anyway, so I will have my head down in the dash panels, TEDAC most of the time working the systems and targeting and the extra resolution of 3 monitors will actually be an advantage.

And I got one of these to map all the TEDAC controls to.  Many are planning on doing that. I'll lay it on the desk between my throttle and stick and can just pick it up when I go into the sights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RNL1RX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

It's actually not that far off from the TEDAC hand grips.
A guy on Low Level Hell discord who is a RL Apache pilot (BradMick) suggested this config:

I'll start with that Then my HOTAS is left configured for piloting.

I'll leverage Voice Attack for all the MPD bevel buttons and map them like "Left T2" for left MPD, top 2nd button, "Right Fixed FCR" for the right MPD Fixed Action FCR button, ect.

It's going to be interesting. ;)

<S>
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:56:21 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2022, 11:33:57 PM »
I just started a book on a British Apache squadron in Afghanistan.  They mention this battle.

It must have been in the news but I hadn't heard of it. 

Strapping commandos and wounded on the wings of Apache attack helicopters???????

If I saw that in a movie I would have rolled my eyes.

Insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugroom_Fort

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:47:40 PM by CptTrips »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2022, 05:21:15 PM »

Got mine already to go
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2022, 01:58:47 PM »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »

Oddly, I'm starting to warm to the whole looking around the cockpit clicking on things to do stuff.  I didn't think I'd ever want to bother with that, but if you take to time to really learn an aircraft, it starts to add to immersion. 

But at least for the first week I will be sticking to "Win + Home" to get up in the air and start blowing stuff up.  Then I'll come back and learn startups. ;)

I will probably eventually learn the Apache, Kiowa, Huey, and Blackhawk to that level.  Everything else it's just the short cut key. ;) 

Everyone is betting next week.  Maybe Wed. ;)  Lol.  Downloads are surely going to crash their servers. ;)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »
How do DCS aircraft flight models compare to AHs?
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2022, 04:02:45 PM »
Nothing against AH but I would say DCS has some of the best flight models out there. It does depend on the aircraft though. Some of the old dcs aircraft like the flaming cliffs set are a simpler flight model. Most of the guys I've heard that fly the real things say it's the best feeling flight model they've tried, though not without inaccuracies (biggest thing nowadays is the turn rate performance of the F-16, but I've heard that is about to be fixed).

For their WW2 aircraft the DCS flight model definitely makes you work harder. I find I really have to be on the rudder pedals to keep the Spit stable. No idea if that is real world accurate but it gives the feeling of a living aircraft.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2022, 05:27:25 PM »
How do DCS aircraft flight models compare to AHs?

Well, I've never flown military aircraft.

I think it varies according to aircraft.  Separate player-made mods and 3rd party, and older planes out from the core company recent modules.  I suspect the new official stuff is pretty good and gets better each iteration.  Some of the player-made and 3rd party are good too.

I know that real life active Kiowa and Apache pilots have been extensively involved with the upcoming releases of those modules.  Their opinion that even though not completely finished in the Early Access releases, they already claim in their expert opinions, those are the most accurate non-classified models they have seen commercially. 

DCS is all about FM, systems modelling.  Less so on game-play.  Not that they couldn't do gameplay, but their focus has been on study-sim fidelity.   They are working on a new Dynamic Campaign System with  other improvements that should improve the gamey aspects.  I think their mission editor is quite sophisticated and what I've seen not nearly take to it's current possible limits by the player-made missions I've seen.  Including the ability to inject custom scripting to alter base behavior.

DCS World is a free download (big dl) and comes with a P-51 and SU-25 Frogfoot free out of the gate. So you can just go play with those any time.  And I believe most planes and helo have a two week trial per module.   I'd suggest the Huey for Helo to start with, Maybe the F-18 for Jets (other than the free one)?

Try the first two and try some of the other module two week trials and decide for yourself.  Most important hint:  Win+Home circumvents the cold start procedures and does it all automatically when you are first getting started. ;)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:39:45 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2022, 09:24:00 PM »

It's going to be... "The Summer of George!"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2022, 09:47:54 AM »
And so it begins...well, in a few hours. ;)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:02:33 AM by CptTrips »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »
Dsc doesn't do auto pilot...once you take off and start your exhaustive search for action you can't see as there aren't any icons...you can't let go of the stick for any length of time...

Oh the realism...lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals