Author Topic: Updated skins.  (Read 2599 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Re: Updated skins.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 10:47:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I shall make some adjustments
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 01:37:30 AM »
Regarding Oboe's post about the  various colours, iirc the original was supposed to be the "tractor" scheme, but i have long since discarded my references.

So.
Have adopted Devils suggested colours and adjusted the strength,
tweaked the weathering.

This is just to display the underside blue, i will be increasing the weathering on the bomb doors.

Raw Prawns      

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 08:58:59 AM »
The green and black look great now. The underside blue is much too bright. Also the red star looks too bright and pink to me.

Otherwise, it's looking very nice.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 09:36:18 AM »
I think it's looking good, FTJR.

Again on a MacBook laptop right now; I don't see pink in the red star.  Could be my old eyes, or a monitor or display setting difference (HDR on/off, Game settings on/off, brightness setting, etc)? 

Also as far as the brightness of the blue underside and red star - they are being hit with direct sun in this shot, so have to figure that in.  The light blue and star under the wing look about right don't they?

Regarding the border between the upper camo painted surface and the lower blue however - wouldn't this be a feathered edge, rather than the straight line?   I doubt they would've gone to the trouble to mask off the area to give such a perfect straight line between the blue and the camo paint.

One other thing I do, and I *think* I've see this elsewhere - you can add a surround of faint grime around the small access panels on the fuselage underside and engine cowls.  I do this on the outside of the panel only, and try to keep the effect subtle. 

I also include the grime layers in the SPEC file and really darkening them a lot so the specularity of the grimed areas is much less that the surrounding cleaner areas.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 10:12:22 AM »
I'd say the blue needs desaturating a lot and the red could be a bit darker, the top colours are good though.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 10:15:25 AM »
On my phone looking at it I would agree with Devil.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »
Switched to my gaming PC and its a large difference from the Macbook.  I agree with Greebo's comments about the underside blue needing desaturation.  What a difference a monitor can make.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »
The green and black look great now. The underside blue is much too bright. Also the red star looks too bright and pink to me.

Otherwise, it's looking very nice.

Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »
I think it's looking good, FTJR.

Again on a MacBook laptop right now; I don't see pink in the red star.  Could be my old eyes, or a monitor or display setting difference (HDR on/off, Game settings on/off, brightness setting, etc)? 

Also as far as the brightness of the blue underside and red star - they are being hit with direct sun in this shot, so have to figure that in.  The light blue and star under the wing look about right don't they?

Regarding the border between the upper camo painted surface and the lower blue however - wouldn't this be a feathered edge, rather than the straight line?   I doubt they would've gone to the trouble to mask off the area to give such a perfect straight line between the blue and the camo paint.

One other thing I do, and I *think* I've see this elsewhere - you can add a surround of faint grime around the small access panels on the fuselage underside and engine cowls.  I do this on the outside of the panel only, and try to keep the effect subtle. 

I also include the grime layers in the SPEC file and really darkening them a lot so the specularity of the grimed areas is much less that the surrounding cleaner areas.

Dang Oboe,

I had to go back and look for photo's, as opposed to profiles, and I think you're right about the feathered edge, its also logical.

I will do the grime as you suggested.

Thanks.
Raw Prawns      

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »
Like the new iteration much better. I'd's still desaturate the blue a little more, just to take the edge off.

Also, I agree with Oboe, feathering the paint edges will also be an improvement.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »
Like the new iteration much better. I'd's still desaturate the blue a little more, just to take the edge off.

Also, I agree with Oboe, feathering the paint edges will also be an improvement.

Okay Thanks, I'll do that
Raw Prawns      

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »
The default skin doesn't seem to have feathered edges, but many color profiles of the aircraft do have a softer demarcation line between the blue and the camo.

Here's a period photo I found (as opposed to a photo of a present day restored aircraft) and it shows quite a bit of feathering:

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 11:36:44 PM »
The default skin doesn't seem to have feathered edges, but many color profiles of the aircraft do have a softer demarcation line between the blue and the camo.

Here's a period photo I found (as opposed to a photo of a present day restored aircraft) and it shows quite a bit of feathering:
(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty sure that aircraft #3 is one of his others skins.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 01:22:05 AM »
Pretty sure that aircraft #3 is one of his others skins.

Yes it is, but i cant remember seeing that photo.

Anyway I've updated the blue (darkened), added feathering, and lightened the spec file, thanks to Oboe for his suggestions.

Raw Prawns      

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 02:58:17 AM »
 :aok