Author Topic: What is the toughest joystick out there?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: What is the toughest joystick out there?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »
1.Assuming they're bolted down they might be harder to break if they aren't. Lock them with a cable but let the base move.
or
2. Go with the cheapest stick.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 11:31:16 AM »
I currently have the Mad Catz Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino and the dang buttons are failing. I'm having to reprogram my stuff to the ones that are still working. Other then that it's working.

I would like to replace it with something that will last. My budget is 500.

I've read that the warthog stick/throttle has crappy buttons that wear out quickly. Any truth to that one?

Also, are either of these a decent stick/deal? (I mean as in how long will they last and are they at or near the MSRP)

Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS Controller $169

Logitech G Saitek X52 $149 or the pro for $199 (what makes the pro $50 more and is it worth it?)

Thanks in advance.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:06 PM »
I purchased the T16000 3 years ago when it was a mere $60. Not a bad stick if you can deal with limited programable inputs or have a throttle, as I do. The throw torque is lighter than a Logitec Extreme 3D and tighter than a CH Fighterstick. Not sure if I'd pay $160 to replace it if it crapped out.  The 16000 is pretty smooth tho.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:48:38 PM by Max »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »
This is stick and throttle for the price. Is that the same as what you got?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
I have a warthog and have had it for a number of years. I no problems with the buttons or axises. The handle seems to be getting a bit loose, not flopping around but you can feel it more than see it.

For the T16000. I had one as my back up, and ended up giving it to MARK4 after his old T16000 died after 5-6 years of work outs. There is a mod kit for the throttle to tighten it up but Its a decent stick.

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=asc_df_B01KCHPRXA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312181276443&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11203748208384417566&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001823&hvtargid=pla-383410526098&psc=1

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 01:54:44 PM »
Thanks for the info.

No comments on this one?

Logitech G Saitek X52 $149 or the pro for $199 (what makes the pro $50 more and is it worth it?)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2021, 04:59:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.

No comments on this one?

From me? No. I have only had 1 logitech stick a hundred years ago and had nothing but trouble with it and returned it. Many have had good luck with them.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 10:50:26 PM »
I was very disappointed with the Warthog. I had nothing but problems with my stick. Wiring issues, stiction issue, and ended up with the hub inbetween the grip, and the gimbal breaking. I actually had to send it in for warranty repair (Which was a pita, because their warranty service center was in Montreal) when it was only a couple of months old because it had bricked itself. Used my old CH Fighterstick (I still have and it still works fine) as back up while I waited for it to come back. When I took mine apart I wasn't impressed with the build quality, and in fact found the most impressive part of it to be the grip itself, and honestly only because of the mass of it. I was one of the very first adopters of the Warthog so that may have something to do with my experience.

Not trying to start a war, just expressing my opinion on the Warthog. I'm using a first gen Virpil T-50 Mongoos base with a T-50 CM2 grip. I compared it with the VKB Gunfighter, and went with the Virpil set up only because I felt it was the better deal at that time. I would still like a Gunfighter, but can't justify the expense when my Virpil stick works perfectly for me. I will say that a stick like the Virpil is at least two levels up from the Warthog. And of course you pay for it.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »
Thanks for the info.

No comments on this one?

I have an X52 Pro after using the X52 for a very long time. the Pro has some more metal parts than the normal X52. Personally I'd look on the used market, that's where I've bought both of my X52 Pros. One for $70 and one for $100, both basically brand new.

I like the X52 Pro, but mainly because I used the X52 for a long time so the transition was smooth and a no-brainer.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2021, 06:21:14 PM »
The poster is having issues with the vkb gladiator mk II. I wonder if the newer version, the gladiator nxt, would have had the same breackages.

I do wonder what the toughest twisty rudder stick is the go to myself at times.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
Humans... go figure  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
      • http://yankeeairmuseum.org
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
1.Assuming they're bolted down they might be harder to break if they aren't. Lock them with a cable but let the base move.
or
2. Go with the cheapest stick.

Ya they are. Seems to make it easier for the little hands to control them. Was hoping adults could figure it out better.

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
Found an upgrade kit for the Gladiator that has a metal shaft. Have one on the way, hopefully it works. With a new grip it's almost the same cost as a new joystick but if it lasts longer it would be worth it. If I can upgrade them without changing the grip it's only 20 bucks.
Soon as the boat from China arrives we'll find out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:28:30 PM by dBeav »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 01:33:56 PM »
That's the cool thing about the VKB stuff. They have absolutely no problem at all with you tearing the stick down for whatever. Anybody else? Uh.. You voided the warranty, sorry! Hope that works out for you. Agreed way cheaper than a total stick upgrade.

Although the Gunfighter is super awesome. Sayin!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »
Parts arrived much quicker than expected. Took 15-20 minutes to get it swapped out. Should be a bit more indestructible.
Problem is that the upgraded shaft requires the grip to be changed. Between the two it's the same price as another complete stick, but, at least there's a little less plastic.
4 more kits on the way just in case they decide to stop making them.
Wish me luck.