Author Topic: Considering getting into VR but I have a few questions  (Read 2384 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Considering getting into VR but I have a few questions
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 05:25:01 PM »
But am I right in thinking that without internet you cannot use the quest 2?

Correct

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 05:40:46 PM »
That's not entirely true. You do need internet for the initial setup and registration. After that it can operate with standalone titles and tethering without internet (that said AH won't work online without internet)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:42:48 PM by Vulcan »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 12:07:07 AM »
But am I right in thinking that without internet you cannot use the quest 2?

You need a mobile phone with wifi to set up the Quest 2. Once you have downloaded apps to the device you can use it without a wifi connection.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 04:57:59 AM »
A big thumbs down on the HP G2 for me.  Ever since I bought a G2 I spend more time trying to get it to work well with Aces High than enjoying the game...makes me miss my Oculus CV-1. Part of the issue for me is that I have not had much time to fuss with it since I bought it.  I agree the visuals, mic & audio are nice, but I have had mostly frustration trying to use it, maybe if and when I get it to work well I'll feel differently.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »
Hopefully I will soon report on a new, more positive perspective on my HP G2.  I think I found my main issue and am guessing it had to do with a sticky controller switch causing the software to skip thru the head-centering sequence.  Perhaps it's time for me to upgrade  my beloved CH Pro Throttle, and VKB to come out with their new one.     :airplane:   

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 08:22:26 PM »
Looks like a new Oculus Quest model is to be announced this week.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 01:41:21 PM »
Well, if I don't get this HP G2 issue figured out & stabilized I may  be interested in a new headset.......

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
Got the quest 2, got over my whining about the facebook thing.

It's just awesome, a whole new world.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 06:16:05 PM »
 Need to try ah in it b4 you check out batfink

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2021, 10:49:52 PM »
I had a quick flight. Very cool indeed
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
I had a quick flight. Very cool indeed

Don't forget to get voice attack. Then you can shout commands in Russian like Clint Eastwood!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
lol nice!

I think I need a new GPU. Running the 2060 super 8GB right now. Works fine in AH3 VR but DCS and IL2 its struggling in VR giving me ghosting artefacts quite a lot.

Think I should buy a 3080ti. What is everyone else using for more demanding sims?

(Sorry for mega post hijack Vudak)

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2021, 03:52:43 PM »
check out some videos and their forums about optimizing for vr first, there are lots of settings that can make a huge difference. It was a 40FPS difference for me.

Then I would confirm if it is your GPU that is the bottleneck or if it's your CPU or RAM. I have a Ryzen 5 5600X (roughly same as I5 11600K), 32Gb RAM and a Radeon 5700xt (roughly between a 2070 and 2070 super) with a HP Reverb G2. My old rig was an i5 8600K and 16gb of ram, same gpu, and upgrading made a huge difference. My GPU is definitely my bottleneck right now but it runs well, so for me it's not worth paying inflated prices for a new one. If I can even find one.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2021, 05:26:23 PM »
Good advice, thank you Rocco.

I've just spent 24 hours learning a few tricks and have improved the performance greatly on more demanding sims. However I am of the feeling that I want to run these sims on high settings without worrying about performance. Various checks have confirmed my GPU is the bottleneck. CPU even in DCS is not getting over 40% and 32gb of fast memory is seemingly very much on the sufficient side.

the 2060 is so close to being ok but just not quite there for the experience I want to create. But you are right about the inflated prices, so a bit of patience is in order for me now.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »
My i9 with a 2070 gpu struggle with dcs and il2 in vr with high graphics

Even 3080ti users complain its still nowhere near a good monitor resolution

You just have to turn it down to get your acceptable balance

I find AH with hat views and icons easier and more enjoyable than the other two where its hard to spot and track targets

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals