Author Topic: Blowfly  (Read 1116 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Blowfly
« on: November 13, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
I wanted to extend on offer to help you get set up in Aces High.
I was going to reach out to you this afternoon during the scenario but you left before I had the chance.
Scenarios are a bad place to try and get the little things figured out, as I'm sure you found out. Give me an hour or so of your time sometime this week and I can have you set up to fly the final frame of the scenario next Saturday, and it will be a better experience for you.

I don't know if Blowfly visits the boards so if one of you knows him direct him towards this thread please.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Re: Blowfly
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 02:57:28 PM »
I wanted to extend on offer to help you get set up in Aces High.
I was going to reach out to you this afternoon during the scenario but you left before I had the chance.
Scenarios are a bad place to try and get the little things figured out, as I'm sure you found out. Give me an hour or so of your time sometime this week and I can have you set up to fly the final frame of the scenario next Saturday, and it will be a better experience for you.

I don't know if Blowfly visits the boards so if one of you knows him direct him towards this thread please.

Sik

Rest assured that I will take advantage of your urge to help rookies, but some of that is a 'chicken/egg' thing.  I'll like to be more competent in more aircraft before I start asking someone to help me.  In the old days, in WBs, one of my squaddies took the time to work with me in the training arena and it was invaluable as far as increasing my in game experience.  At the present time, though, I'm still skill building.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »
I just want to make sure that you know there is help available. It is something I enjoy doing, and I would be glad to work with you, or anyone else for that matter, on pretty much whatever.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 10:21:07 PM »
Sorry about Saturday Blowfly, you joined right when the event launched so it was a bit chaotic. If you want to join us again this Saturday and come on in around 3pm eastern we can get you set up properly and you can launch with the rest of the squad. It's a whole different experience when you launch, fly, and fight with 9 other guys watching your back.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 02:39:36 AM »
Rest assured that I will take advantage of your urge to help rookies, but some of that is a 'chicken/egg' thing.  I'll like to be more competent in more aircraft before I start asking someone to help me.  In the old days, in WBs, one of my squaddies took the time to work with me in the training arena and it was invaluable as far as increasing my in game experience.  At the present time, though, I'm still skill building.
"Blowfly" you are , Decoy?   Brother!  These fellers, have ZERO EGO! Trust me...dont let pride, get in your way! AH3, has A STEEP learning curve!  Taking up Sik1 and others offers of help.....YOU will come out WAY AHEAD of the game/current player base...somewhat!  I would bet an OCCULUS RiftS on it!  Heck...I would meet you in MatchPlay, just to lose that bet :rock :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 07:26:34 AM »
"Blowfly" you are , Decoy?   Brother!  These fellers, have ZERO EGO! Trust me...dont let pride, get in your way! AH3, has A STEEP learning curve!  Taking up Sik1 and others offers of help.....YOU will come out WAY AHEAD of the game/current player base...somewhat!  I would bet an OCCULUS RiftS on it!  Heck...I would meet you in MatchPlay, just to lose that bet :rock :salute

I'm not Blowfly and I'm pretty certain Blowfly isn't me.  Also, SIK1 has already reached out to me and I've accepted.  Keep in mind that I'm still learning what's what.  Half the time I pick a bombing target based on how far it is away from the action.  That way I can be somewhat assured that I can get to the target and drop without being shot down.  As for fighter ops.. I think Snoopy has a better record against the Red Baron than I do.

But thanks for the encouragement. 
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 01:37:05 AM »
I'm not Blowfly and I'm pretty certain Blowfly isn't me.  Also, SIK1 has already reached out to me and I've accepted.  Keep in mind that I'm still learning what's what.  Half the time I pick a bombing target based on how far it is away from the action.  That way I can be somewhat assured that I can get to the target and drop without being shot down.  As for fighter ops.. I think Snoopy has a better record against the Red Baron than I do.

But thanks for the encouragement.
"Not Blowfly and I'm pretty certain Blowfly isn't me"?  :rofl  Your,"based on how far from action" mentality is SPOT ON!   That will work!  HOWEVER!!!!  The TRUE FUN, is Storming The Gates, Low and INVITING Attackers! At least, that's what I live for!!!  I started out, JUST LIKE YOU! 2013 ish, for me. Found a group of Fellers, that showed me what True Fun in AH, looked like! YES!!!! You will get massacred, over and over and over again....This Game has STEEP Learning curve!!!  Offer still stands! When you feel you are ready...I got ya Brother.  I Bomb in a Spit16  :rofl  Tanks BEWARE!!!!  CAS...is MY FORTE!!!!!  Thus the need to have developed Defense Tactics. More than willing to pass on, what I have learned :rock   My Niece, has a job now....and she cant participate in Monday Night Madness, as she would love to do!   Ask around!  Between what I taught her, and Puma44 refined(EX Fighter Pilot), she was a TERROR to be reckoned with!!!! OK OK!!!! I am looking for "NEW BAIT" :devil      She started May 2020 lol  No pressure...but here, when you are ready :rock  I STILL TO THIS DAY, practice in Off-Line Arena!  I prefer my "Melee Arena" flights, as PROVING GROUND!  I am just happy, you FOUND US :aok
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 01:53:24 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 06:38:18 AM »
1stpar3,

I actually flew a couple of fighter mission last night, just snuck in, looked for the most available 'clot' of activity, hopped in a p38 and flew into it.  Some guy in a F6F blew me away, but I stayed with him for four or five turns.  What happened was that his last turn brought him head on, and I squeezed off a burst and pulled up.  Then the buffer said 'xxx shot you down' and immediately said 'xxx collided with you.'  I don't think it was intentional.

So, back to base, adjust my sliders for pitch and roll and launch a spit.  Soon I'm hot after somebody in a corsair, but somebody else got him first, and I would up with a 190 on my tail.  It ended badly.  But it's fun. I leaned in WBs that getting shot down is part of it and if you can't take that, stay out.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 01:36:51 PM »
A couple things you need to know about collisions.

1. Ignore the crying and wailing about intentional collisions.

2. Because you and the bandit both exist on two different computers there are 4 planes involved, two on each PC.
Because of travel time over the internet your relative positions are slightly different on each PC. This makes it possible to have a collision on one PC and not the other. All you have to do is avoid the bandit on your PC.

Travel time is also why the bandit on your 6 is always closer than he appears and always has a better shot angle than he appears to have. When you are on the bandits 6 then you have those advantages in apparent position.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 03:49:18 PM »
A couple things you need to know about collisions.

1. Ignore the crying and wailing about intentional collisions.

2. Because you and the bandit both exist on two different computers there are 4 planes involved, two on each PC.
Because of travel time over the internet your relative positions are slightly different on each PC. This makes it possible to have a collision on one PC and not the other. All you have to do is avoid the bandit on your PC.

Travel time is also why the bandit on your 6 is always closer than he appears and always has a better shot angle than he appears to have. When you are on the bandits 6 then you have those advantages in apparent position.

I never really though about it in those terms.  I mean, I have considered all the variables that have to work to get a bunch of players flying imaginary aircraft at one another in an imaginary world....  but I always give the benefit of the doubt to pretty much everybody except Carol Bascomb.

In WBs, though.... whole 'nother story.  One pilot seemed to seek me out and fly his 190 into the tail section of my B24.  I can't count the times.  As for whiners... in WBs there was this one guy that you hated to see get a kill, because then he'd explain for ten minutes why he was better than whoever he killed, but when he got shot down... have mercy.

But Aces High exists in another universe.  In WBs, friendlies can't collide, they fly through one another.  Can friendlies collide in AH?

And jumping back to the topic... I tend to overlook things like warping, even stick-stirring, as part of what you put up with to play.  But even in the heyday of WBs, there'd be these HUGE furballs and very few collisions.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »
Friendly collisions can be turned on but that creates the obvious problem at spawn points.

The only tricky thing you need to keep in mind is that the bandit behind you is closer on his computer than he appears on yours.

Regarding stick stirring, if you move your controls fast enough they will lock out for a short while and you'll see a warning message.

If you look at your rudder while moving it you'll see that it doesn't move as fast as you can move your pedals. This is modeled to be the effect of air pressure. If you move the pedals too quickly the rudder won't keep up so smooth deliberate pedal movements are likely more accurate in terms of rudder position. You'll also notice very high speed reducing the effectiveness of the ailerons and elevator.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
I just want to make sure that you know there is help available. It is something I enjoy doing, and I would be glad to work with you, or anyone else for that matter, on pretty much whatever.

Thanks so much for your time and patience last night, well, it was afternoon for you, but as we established, I have a long way to go.

For anybody that wants to improve their fighter skills, don't overlook the idea of one on one training with someone like SIK1.  Monday Night Madness is tonight and maybe some of what he tried to teach me will do me some good.  It was definitely worth the time and effort.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 10:45:25 AM »
Decoy, I'm glad you found our session worthwhile. Keep fighting and learning, you will improve.

I look forward to future sessions.