Author Topic: My first VR experience and question.  (Read 906 times)

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
My first VR experience and question.
« on: November 25, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »
Just tried it the other day at grandkids house. It was a Quest 2 and I was impressed however, it was only using a kids game called "Acorn".  I'm going to purchase one for AcesHigh and other flight sims only.

My question...Would this be a good set to begin with or are there other types more suitable for flight simming?

Your opinions will help my choice because I trust the knowledge and experience you all have.  :)

Thanks, Bix.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: My first VR experience and question.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 07:57:15 PM »
For $300 the Quest2 is a good choice. If you want to spend more you can but the Quest 2 will put you in the cockpit. You'll need the correct cable, it needs to be connected to your PC for AH.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 10:05:17 AM »

Bixby,

I just upgrade to the Meta Quest 2 from my old first-gen Vive.  I like it a lot.  I'll like it more when my prescription lens inserts arrive.  :D

You might check-out https://sidequestvr.com/ for more Indie oriented titles not yet officially listed in Meta's store.   Oculus' store is a little over-curated, IMHO.  SideQuest is a good alternative more like Steam.  Yeah there is junk in there but I like the wider variety.

They are working with Meta to be their off-brand venue.  Google how they are working with Meta's AppLab.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I will be doing more research before I pull the trigger.

I only plan on using it in flight sims. Il-2, DCS, P3d, the new MSFlight sim and of course AH3. I'm not at all interested in games. At least at this time.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 01:10:35 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I will be doing more research before I pull the trigger.

I only plan on using it in flight sims. Il-2, DCS, P3d, the new MSFlight sim and of course AH3. I'm not at all interested in games. At least at this time.

As mentioned, you'll need the link cable and install the Oculus software on your PC.  I recommend the official Oculus cable, I know a friend that uses a cheaper version fine.

My game PC chassis is older and didn't have a USB-C so I ordered a inexpensive PCI card.  It'll work with usb-2 with an adapter, but usb-3/c will be better performance.

:salute 
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 12:32:33 AM »
i would recommend going with HP Reverb G2 for price/performance reasons. Seems to be best of currenty generation of VR solutions.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »
The Reverb G2 is $200 off for Cyber Monday from the hp.com store:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset?jumpid=ma_cyber-sale_product-tile_top-deals_16_1g5u1aa_hp-reverb-g2-virtual

I'd get it with an extended warranty if possible.