Author Topic: Has anybody ever tried a ETO MA?  (Read 10364 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Has anybody ever tried a ETO MA?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
May need to change the Major cities to just Large airfields instead of the super field, take a look. I have London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, and Rome so far. The super fields may cause frame rate problems for some.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »
Here is a view of the latest tinkering.........
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »
That looks just excellent, Kenai!   Thank you for bringing this idea to life!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 06:32:51 PM »
Here you are Oboe, bases set, still need to do spawn points, Shore Batterys, Flak Bases, Roads & Trains and finally Clouds. Give me some feedback....  :banana:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 01:08:43 AM »
- Looks like there is quite difference for blue country since there is huge water body inside.
- CV force is much more important in Mediterranean than for UK/France and quite negligible for eastern Europe.  (Like in real life)

Other than that. Cool map!.

BTW: can you convert the map to png, jpeg or gif before attaching it? 16MB is way too much. It is 1/3 in png and ~1/8s In gif or jpeg.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:12:19 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 01:20:51 PM »
Kenai, this is just fantastic - thank you again for working on this.  I'm not an experienced terrain designer, so please take these suggestions with that in mind - I'm not sure what I'd like to see is even feasible or practical for an MA terrain, however I would like to find a way to make it work, if possible.   I've made a copy of the map and notated proposed changes with pink arrows.

1) City strat locations - is it possible to put city strat objects on the real world locations of London, Berlin, and Rome?  These cities were all strategically bombed during the War, and I'd like to give heavy bomber groups the opportunity for realism in locations of targets.

2)  Ploesti Fuel Refinery - I've moved the Green Country's refinery to the real-world location of the Ploesti refineries.  These were attacked multiple times from bases in North Africa, and later Italy, I believe.

3) Italian Port of Taranto - this major Italian Navy base is located just inside the heel of the Italian 'boot'.  It was the main base of the Italian Fleet.

4) Love that you put the major British anchorage of Scapa Flow at the tip of Scotland.  Perfect!

5) Hamburg - I've moved the Norwegian port location to the German North Sea coast - the port of Hamburg, located miles inland from this coast on the River Elbe, is where the German battleship "Bismarck" was laid down.  Love the idea of a 'breakout' into the North Sea with a battleship group spawned from here.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 01:28:54 PM »
Excellent Oboe, great ideas. I will get right on it.  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
Awesome!

Coupla more thoughts - I think we need to spread out the Red country's strat targets more.  Freeing up the City location in western Ireland helps some, but may need to use the west reaches of France or northern Spain?

- I think these targets need to be protected from naval sheeling also - so can they have shore batteries, as well as Flak batteries, near them?

- The strait of Gibraltar may be a prime location for shore batteries as well, to protect entrance into the Mediterranean Sea.   

-  Also, could you place one or two more Vbases along the North African coast?  The idea being to provide opportunity for the strung out land campaign North Africa, with lots of tank battle opportunities, and

Excellent stuff!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:45:24 PM by oboe »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 05:00:04 PM »
Here is the latest rendition, I'll work on these added items next. You rae coming up with some excellent ideas Oboe.  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 10:43:51 PM »
I'd like to suggest removing the super large airfields. They kill frame rates for many players, myself included.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 11:34:16 PM »
That can be done Devil, but there is only 1 super base per country, near the HQ.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 09:30:28 AM »
I don't disagree with Devil - my frame rate suffers on CraterMA and I've been told its the mega-fields.

Coupla questions - what is a reasonable range on the map for accurate naval gunfire?  We should keep this in mind as strats are placed, so they are situated as far inland as practicable.

Also, how far off-map can fleets sail?   I know bombers sometimes fly off-map to avoid interception - I'm concerned the Blue country could sneak a fleet off-map and then bring it back in just near Ireland or Scotland and start shelling Red's strats.  Is it possible to introduce a hidden land mass that would block all off-map fleet travel in the Atlantic?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 12:05:23 PM »
I'll replace the 3 remaining super bases with Large Airfields, that is no problem.

Gun range for the BB 16" guns is easily 26 miles, as I understand it. That puts most of the Red and Blue targets in range, due to the scale of the map. I have installed Shore Batteries at the Straits of Gibraltar, exit from the Black Sea, and the exit from the Baltic Sea. I also intend to install a pair across the Straits of Dover. Also as a general reference, I would put shore batteries at any base, or strat, near the shoreline.

As to Ships sailing off the map, we have several maps currently in rotation that have that "possibility", and I have never seen it. I'll try a few experiments to see if it is possible and what counter measures we can take if necessary.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »
What is the general consensus on Flak bases? 4 for each strat?, just 1 or what.  :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 05:40:07 PM »
Here is another update on the Europe map.........
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76