Author Topic: guns start firing when upping a plane  (Read 785 times)

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
guns start firing when upping a plane
« on: December 14, 2021, 09:07:54 AM »
This happens occasionally. Enough to really annoy me.

Films of 3 consecutive spawns with guns firing attached.

Changing runways, fields, planes, or exiting arena and re-entering doesn't stop it. This has happened with 3 different joysticks.

Can't stop it until completely exiting and re-starting game.

No dump file is created.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:11:59 AM by wrench »
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: guns start firing when upping a plane
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »
Have you checked your controller settings?

It sometimes happens that "Fire" gets assigned to a strange button. I've seen one of the Mouse buttons being the culprit, or the Toe Brake of the pedals.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
Have you checked your controller settings?

It sometimes happens that "Fire" gets assigned to a strange button. I've seen one of the Mouse buttons being the culprit, or the Toe Brake of the pedals.

Yes I have checked controller settings, global fire all guns is only assigned to one thing in each mode on keyboard and controller.
Leave that thing alone!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 01:35:16 AM »
Dang! It would have been so easy if that had been assigned to the left Mouse button as well!

Oh well...

Just in case, under Settings in the AH3 folder there's a bunch of .jsm files that you can open with Notepad. You'll find all your controllers there and for each and every button the following four rows tell how that button is assigned in each of the four modes. Those should match your in-game listings with a nice additional feature: In Notepad there's a search function (Ctrl-F) which will help finding every instance of "fire". Further, there's also the "find next" (F3) feature so you don't have to type "fire" a million times!

Not to forget my vademecum: Shut down your computer by keeping the Shift button pressed while clicking Shutdown in the Start menu. That will force the next boot to start fresh instead of using the potentially corrupted settings from the previous session.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 10:44:17 AM »
I get something similar every once in a while.  If I just push my fire button and release it, the firing stops and I can .ef and relaunch.

What seems to cause it, and it doesn't seem to happen all the time, but if you're holding your fire button and get killed instantly by a shot to the pilot or similar insta death, you spawn firing until you hit fire and release the button.  It seems like your client never got the "stopped pressing the button" message when you died.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
Thanks I'll check that next time it happens.  :aok
Leave that thing alone!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 10:22:14 PM »
you have another button that somehow is set up to fire guns.  this happened to me a few years ago.  check every single button on your stick and throttle.

semp

edit: also happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I would fly to the strats and when jumping on the guns my rpm would go to idle.  2  1 and 1/2 hour runs wasted.  found out  a knob on my throttle was set to rpm and would only activate when jumping to guns.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:25:58 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 03:43:18 AM »
Good news! Tried what Wiley said, when guns started firing, pulled trigger, let go, and they stopped firing.

On the previous sortie was shooting down a plane when someone insta-killed me sent me straight to tower.

In the past always immediately towered out. Never tried pulling the trigger to see if that would stop it.

Guncrasher the mapping is good had already checked that before posting.

So there's still a problem with the game, but now I have a workaround to deal with it.

Thanks Wiley  :cheers:  :salute
Leave that thing alone!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 09:54:18 AM »
So there's still a problem with the game, but now I have a workaround to deal with it.
Glad you got it sorted, sort of.

I still wonder what the actual culprit is. Two options come into mind: Either there's something either mechanically or electronically wrong in your joystick, keeping the trigger down until you pull it again, or there's something wrong in flushing the memory in a situation where you get towered while you're shooting - and that can be Windows related as well as game related! In the latter case it can be the stick drivers, motherboard drivers, your entire hardware mismatching with Windows, a bug in Windows, corrupted settings in Windows... The list is endless. And it's hard to pinpoint since it doesn't happen neither every time nor to everyone. 

Kotisivuni