Author Topic: Bad things happen in Philadelphia  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bad things happen in Philadelphia
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 06:36:55 PM »
Guns are pretty neat.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 09:13:25 PM »
To each, their own way of thinking...

I live in an area where you could be driving down some 2 lane highway and a white tail deer 🦌 might try to cross the road at any given second of the day 24/7 and whether you are  behind the person driving the vehicle that hits the deer or coming from the other direction and still see a person hit a deer and never hit the brakes or even bother to stop... while in a company truck and not allowed to have firearms in most company trucks... I  would call the Sheriff's office or highway patrol or 911 and  request either or to come to the location...once they arrived I would ask them to shoot the deer (after  they had asked me "what do you want me to do? ")..and tell them to take it to one of the Barbecue Restaurants and have them prepare it and deliver it to the local children's home...or if I was on Service Call (Service Technicians were allowed to carry)  I would kill the deer and deliver it myself...

Also, being on Service call after normal work hours,  you could find  yourself being called out at 2am in the morning in the winter to repair/ fix someone's heating system and wind up at a drug house where you are in the bad part of town with all types strung out to where you had to hop scotch across them through the house just  to get to the furnace...you never knew what you might come across be it Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, Charlotte,  Statesville,  Raleigh etc.... 99.9% of the time they all love you for getting their heat up and running....but there is always that 0.1 % that you are fixing to be robbed /mugged/ jumped...

I have carried almost exclusively everyday since 1990... never pulled my firearm...

Just  the same I've had a  person Point a Colt Defender. 45 ACP and act like he was going to shot my right knee cap, he smooth but quickly moved his aim right and downward toward my foot hitting the floor 2 inches from my right foot...I  never even flinched, but as he went to stand up with that 45 cooked and ready to fire again pointing at my stomach, I disarmed him in  what felt like a split second...  <---- this incident happened around end of March last year and caused my ptsd issues to spiral down that rabbit hole and I had to call and talk to some friends that helped me through it...

and when someone shows up at the Walmart in town and starts shooting people out of the blue.(thishappened last yeartoo)..then yes I think everyone of legal age should be able to carry... and open carry so that it can be seen...so idiots think twice and decide to take their evilness doings somewhere else

Don't Tread On Me!

TC

Distinguished Lifetime Member of the NRA

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:20:29 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2022, 01:55:43 AM »
An anthem for our times:

It's a Beautiful World, by Devo  :aok

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 01:14:58 PM »
My best way to explain why I carry a firearm every day, everywhere legal to do so is my own personal experience. Nonetheless, my experience could be an outlier, rather than be typical.

Thus, I am going to suggest three books.

"Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected" by Rory Miller. This highly awarded book is a rewarding read. You will learn valuable lessons without getting your face stomped, stabbed or shot.

After that, "Straight Talk on Armed Defense" by Massad Ayoob. Excellent advice from self-defense experts, lawyers and psychologists.

Last is Tom Givens' "Concealed Carry Class". If you carry a gun, plan on carrying a gun or just considering that possibility, read this book.

There is much you should know before you head out of your front door armed. You had better have a full understanding of the laws where you live on being armed and the relevant self-defense statutes. You need to have a good understanding of the psychology of violence and violent criminals. Understand that they simply do not think like you do. You absolutely must have excellent awareness. Especially in transitional spaces, where most violent crimes occur. You must be thoroughly trained in the safe and correct use and deployment of your firearm. There is an enormous amount to learn. Frequent training is essential. Not just shooting a box of ammo at a range now and then... Another factor... In Florida, there have been well over 1 million CCW licenses issued. However, less than 10% of licensed civilians carry a firearm daily. Why? Inconvenient, uncomfortable, clothing choice limitations, loss of interest or simply lazy. Let's face it, carrying a firearm IS a lifestyle change. Some folks get their license simply to avoid the three day waiting period for firearm purchases. Me, I carry every day.

So, should you decide to carry a firearm, don't be a liability to your community. Get proper training. Exercise good practices. Be an asset to the community and law enforcement. Leave your ego at home. Remember that with rights come responsibilities. With regard to your right to carry a firearm, you have the responsibility to do so safely and with wisdom.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.