Author Topic: Cloud icon issue.  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Cloud icon issue.
« on: January 07, 2022, 11:50:20 PM »
Why are we not resetting a frame when an icon bug is present? We know the cause and how to fix it. And we all knew the problem was present tonight before anyone entered combat.

Frames NEED to be reset from scratch with properly working icons when this happens.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: Cloud icon issue.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 12:38:56 AM »
We were at the +45 min mark when it was called out and an announcement was made. So at that point everyone knew.
After this announcement, we thought it was fixed or at least addressed enough that all players were informed. Many never lost icon, unfortunately some did. If your night ended early because of this, apologize, but this was a cloud file glitch that would have been hard to detect prior to frame start.

Being that it was not an across the board icon loss, and we were nearly half way through the frame and players were informed of the glitch I decided to proceed.

:salute
JeffN
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 06:27:04 AM »
It sucks it happened but personally glad you just ran with it, had we restarted that deep in i would have had to bail.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 07:40:30 AM »
WOW
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 11:42:13 AM »
We were at the +45 min mark when it was called out and an announcement was made. So at that point everyone knew.
After this announcement, we thought it was fixed or at least addressed enough that all players were informed. Many never lost icon, unfortunately some did. If your night ended early because of this, apologize, but this was a cloud file glitch that would have been hard to detect prior to frame start.

Being that it was not an across the board icon loss, and we were nearly half way through the frame and players were informed of the glitch I decided to proceed.

JeffN

Sorry, but your timing is very much off.  Jg 54 discovered the problem and reported it over vox to my squad at T+8 minutes and in country text channel (green) less than a minute later. Therefore, Spikes and Nefarious, both CM's, knew before T+10 there was a problem with the icons. And being that you were also flying last night on the same side, you knew (or should have been aware) there was a problem before T+10.

I can't say what the timetable for the Allies becoming aware of the problem, or any CM's on that side, but I can't imagine it would have taken much longer for someone to fly through a cloud and lose icons and for someone on that side to remember when this happened the last time - and how bad it was. I have to assume it was known before the first was fired at about T+22.

So yes, every player probably knew about the problem before combat started, but why allow the event to continue in a broken state when there was time to reset the whole thing quickly? I can't imagine it taking more than 15 minutes for everyone to be back in the air with working icons. Surely more players are pissed about the broken icons than would have been pissed about a 15 minute delay. 

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 01:19:15 PM »
I think the biggest problem with restarting is the bug fix meant using a different cloud file, which from my understanding (I could be wrong so please correct) means creating a new map file we would all have to redownload. Some of our guys took 20+ minutes just to download the first map file. I can't say continuing was better than restarting but it made an interesting fight with no icons. And I thought the second hour was a lot of fun.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
I think the biggest problem with restarting is the bug fix meant using a different cloud file, which from my understanding (I could be wrong so please correct) means creating a new map file we would all have to redownload. Some of our guys took 20+ minutes just to download the first map file. I can't say continuing was better than restarting but it made an interesting fight with no icons. And I thought the second hour was a lot of fun.

No, the cloud file can be changed on the fly. Spikes changed the clouds at about T+15. But that only prevented more players from having the issue, it does not fix the problem for players already experiencing it. They need to relog.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline HGANCHOR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 01:37:29 PM »
DID ANYBODY DO A TEST RUN OF THE ARENA? Come on, quit making excuses on files and bugs that you already were aware of. Grant it that you guys put a lot of personal effort into the scenario, but if you can not get the arena to work, then there is no scenario. If you were working for any compenent corp you would be out on the street with a tin cup selling pencils after last nights feasco! Put some effort into it.
Lifes hard, it's harder if your stupid!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 01:44:23 PM »
DID ANYBODY DO A TEST RUN OF THE ARENA? Come on, quit making excuses on files and bugs that you already were aware of. Grant it that you guys put a lot of personal effort into the scenario, but if you can not get the arena to work, then there is no scenario. If you were working for any compenent corp you would be out on the street with a tin cup selling pencils after last nights feasco! Put some effort into it.
Yeesh. I suppose you've never made a mistake in your life? Feel free to apply to the CM team and show us how it's done, sir!

Oop - there's a mistake! competent*
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:46:19 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »
I had a lot of fun, even when losing enemy icons, it felt v immersive. Was rough when I couldn't tell apart friendlies though, and cost me a fight...
plus first time c2 lol. still had lots of fun <S>
"See, decide, attack, reverse." - Erich Hartmann

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »
When the cloud files work the effects are actually pretty cool. I think it makes sense that for future scenarios the cloud files are tested before being used in an event. You could create a list of known good cloud effect files that would be available for CM's to use. If you need a cloud file tester, I could help you out with that. I've tested these offline in the past before deciding whether to use them in the AvA.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 02:26:41 PM »
No, the cloud file can be changed on the fly. Spikes changed the clouds at about T+15. But that only prevented more players from having the issue, it does not fix the problem for players already experiencing it. They need to relog.

I tried to relog before the second hour started, even tried a reboot and still didn't have icons when I returned to the arena. Decided at that point to call it a night.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 02:36:16 PM »
I tried to relog before the second hour started, even tried a reboot and still didn't have icons when I returned to the arena. Decided at that point to call it a night.

Sik

Ah, it's even worse than I thought.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 03:02:29 PM »
Oh cool didn't know that clouds could be changed on the fly. Playing around offline I always had to create a new one.

I still had fun too. I just went after the dots shooting at our bombers.lol Icons came back after I landed and relaunched in second hour, I didn't have to log out.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 04:19:16 PM »
Sorry, but your timing is very much off.  Jg 54 discovered the problem and reported it over vox to my squad at T+8 minutes and in country text channel (green) less than a minute later. Therefore, Spikes and Nefarious, both CM's, knew before T+10 there was a problem with the icons. And being that you were also flying last night on the same side, you knew (or should have been aware) there was a problem before T+10.

I can't say what the timetable for the Allies becoming aware of the problem, or any CM's on that side, but I can't imagine it would have taken much longer for someone to fly through a cloud and lose icons and for someone on that side to remember when this happened the last time - and how bad it was. I have to assume it was known before the first was fired at about T+22.

So yes, every player probably knew about the problem before combat started, but why allow the event to continue in a broken state when there was time to reset the whole thing quickly? I can't imagine it taking more than 15 minutes for everyone to be back in the air with working icons. Surely more players are pissed about the broken icons than would have been pissed about a 15 minute delay.

Devil505,

Ok, your timing is what it is and I'm not saying it's off but if that was the case, why didn't you just re-log?

It was my call, if your looking for someone to blame, me. No problem, i did already apologize and being that we can not go back in time what would make you satisfied?

Couple things to factor in your time line.
      * As CM if you fly too, there is a lot of multitasking going on your information can have some lag as your trying to get things set up
      * Like i mentioned, i thought is was fixed at roughly the +30 point
      * It was not an across the board loss, how am i to know how many have lost icons? Do a restart for very few pilots, and once again, why not just re-log?

Some others have commented that if there would have been a re-start they most likely would have called it a night. I can tell you as a player i would have also called it a night. As CM, i would have stuck around, i would not have liked it, as it makes for a long day, 2AM or so finish.

You are welcome to join me for arena set-up on Wednesday, being we are going to check cloud files going forward, i will need at least one extra person in the arena to confirm icons are not lost.

If you think there is a problem, be part of the solution

Jeffn
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11