Author Topic: 2007 Redux Part 2  (Read 6438 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: 2007 Redux Part 2
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 06:05:12 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 11:52:27 AM »

This market is surprising even me.  I was really expecting a brief relief-rally before the next leg down.

I mentioned that things seemed to be moving in an accelerated mode compared to past crashes.  Perhaps that is just a function of how far the Fed has pulled back the bow string.   This thing has been trembling, just dying to be released for years now.

And the Fed has not. Even.  Done. Anything, yet.  True tightening probably won't even start until mid-March.  And some are thinking up to FOUR or FIVE rate hikes this year???

And Russia hasn't invaded Ukraine, yet.

And China hasn't invaded Taiwan, yet. (which would put > 60% if the worlds semi-conduct capacity in their hands)

Hold on to yer knickers, ladies.  This year is going to get sporty.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 01:06:50 PM »
Is that a little invasion into Ukraine or a large one?  :)

And it's not even February yet...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 01:20:49 PM »

Shrug.  I was hoping he'd take the off-ramp and claim he won a victory by getting the West's attention and schedule future talks.  I think now he has talked so much guff that he is painted himself into a corner.  He is about to get written response from us this week that will amount to , "Yeah, no.  Those demands are ridiculous. "  So We should find out soon.  I don't see how he backs down at this point without looking like the West stared him down.

I wouldn't expect him to go past the Dnieper on a broad front.   Though, he just run along the coast to Odessa and take a swath cutting them off from the sea.  Either way, if he steps one foot into Ukraine he needs to end up with a land bridge to Crimea to justify what this will cost him.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 04:10:24 PM »
I think China is waiting on our response or lack of one with Russia before they move on Taiwan

I think with China there will not be all of this...their move will be sudden and unannounced

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »
I think China is waiting on our response or lack of one with Russia before they move on Taiwan

I think with China there will not be all of this...their move will be sudden and unannounced

Eagler

Maybe Germany will attack Russia again......
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2022, 04:43:15 PM »
Maybe Germany will attack Russia again......

perhaps during the summer  :bolt:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2022, 04:55:54 PM »

And it's not even February yet...

Eagler

won't that be up to nato to decide what to do and not the guy you are talking about.

I think it now makes sense when he was asked that question and he said that's a stupid question.

and it was.  the treaty says an attack on one member is an attack on all.  just that simple.

semp

edit.  sorry meant to quote Traveler, I need a bigger phone

edit. damn it I mean crips, need to find my glasses too
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:58:21 PM by guncrasher »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2022, 05:35:16 PM »
the treaty says an attack on one member is an attack on all.  just that simple.

I'm not sure if you are referring to Taiwan or Ukraine, but neither are members of NATO.  Neither do we have defense treaty obligations that I'm aware of.

I'm rooting for Taiwan and Ukraine, but cold hard facts are neither represent a fundamental U.S. interest.  I'm willing to spend "some" treasure in assisting them, but I'd not be willing to see American blood spilt to protect those borders.  We need to start picking our fights more carefully.  And getting in entanglements is a lot easier than getting back out.

Gaffs aside, I hope those working directly with those militaries are being very clear about the extent to which we are willing to get directly involved.  At least unilaterally. 

$0.02.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 08:38:40 PM »
I stand corrected.

but still think nato will send troops, they can't let Russia take over another country.  right now we have national guard from Texas, i think,  training then.  but it's a delicate situation the guy has and yes it was a stupid question.

he says yes and suddenly we are committed and zorro news starts screaming about another war or decline to answer like he did and zorro news is so over him for refusing to answer.

already an embargo or whatever you call it has been promised. the real question is what is Russia gonna do. stand near near the border like the marines uber drivers, full invasion? nobody knows.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2022, 10:46:54 PM »
8500 troops on standby in the usa.

reminds me of the movie the day after.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2022, 10:58:40 PM »
Wag the Dog -- a "fictional" movie that remains relevant, decade after decade.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2022, 11:02:41 PM »
Wag the Dog -- a "fictional" movie that remains relevant, decade after decade.

yeah,  just like whole world closed down to affect an election.   :cheers:

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2022, 11:12:05 PM »
yeah,  just like whole world closed down to affect an election.   :cheers:

semp

Nah, that was other reasons.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2022, 11:49:06 PM »
but still think nato will send troops, they can't let Russia take over another country.

Yeah, no.  I'm 99.99998% sure that will never happen. 

I haven’t read thru the NATO treaty, but I’m pretty certain it would be narrowly drawn.  Member nations aren’t give NATO council a blank check to get their country entangled into any war that comes around.  They are only signing on to commit their militaries in the event of another member nation being under attack.

That wouldn’t include personnel who happen to be in Ukraine training, etc.  That is not an attack on a member nation.  Possibly an attack on our embassy would as that is considered sovereign territory, but that is putting a fine point on things. 

That’s why NATO was with us in Afghanistan; because the US homeland had been attacked from bases there and so triggered the NATO treaty.  They however did NOT choose to follow us on into Iraq.  They simple told us there is no evidence the Iraq attacked the US homeland or territories so that is outside NATO’s purview. Good luck.

It’s why they did not send NATO troops to defend Georgia.  It’s why they did not send NATO troops to defend Crimea.  It’s why they won’t send NATO troops to defend Ukraine.

That doesn’t mean nations that happen to be in NATO might coordinate to provide military assistance under their individual nations flag.   Like our “Coalition of the Willing.”  Several NATO countries in that.  But that didn’t make it NATO. 

NATO will deploy troops to eastern NATO member countries.  To calm them and let them know we WILL not accept any attack on them.  We have a treaty obligation to do so.  Many of them border Russia.  Their concern is reasonable.  We will beef up shows of our muscle there, but not in Ukraine, but NATO members near Ukraine.

It’s really an EU problem, not a NATO problem.  If they want to sit at the grown-ups table it’s time for them to run their own house.  The next logical jurisdiction would be the UN.  But that would be pointless as China and Russia are in cahoots and each will use their security council veto to shield the other from the actions they will both be undertaking soon.  They both have vetoes.  Russia gets Ukraine, China get Taiwan.  So the UN is powerless here.   Back to the EU then.  You can’t tell me this is a US problem more than a German or French problem.  We don’t live on that continent.

I can see the US helping out with money and equipment and intel and supplies and training outside of Ukraine.  I can see us raising holy hell and coordination sanctions and economic punishments including seizing the electronic funds of many of Vlad’s wealthy client oligarchs.  How happy would they be to see all their accounts wiped to zero with a note, “You can thank Vlad for this.  When he’s gone, your money reappears.”  ;) 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:13:01 AM by CptTrips »