Author Topic: February 2022 FSO - Singapore Blitz: 1942 - Sides and CICs  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
Re: February 2022 FSO - Singapore Blitz: 1942 - Sides and CICs
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »
You are correct, F2A. Thank you.
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 11:20:51 AM »
Good planning always helps.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 01:17:42 PM »
Devil made the comment "So is the B239" in reply to Dantoo's post which stated "The A6m3 has no place in this. It is not historical. It is not a substitute. It is unbalancing."

The B239 was a land based modification of the Buffalo so it can be classified as a substitute for the F3F which we do not have in the plane set. Any reasonable person can see that, therefore Devil is wrong to say the b239 has no place in the plane set.

One last point, these things are supposed to be fun for both sides. They are not a completely historical recreation. The addition of a Zero with double the 20MM ammo load just makes it that much more difficult for the allies which have no A/C with cannons to compete in an environment where they have no advantages in speed, climb, or manuverability.

The British Commonwealth used the B-339E (Buffalo Mk. 1), which had a host of problems that hampered it's combat effectiveness, especially poor engine performance. According to "Brewster Buffalo in British Service." Its climb rate was only 2,300 Ft/min on the deck. Our Finnish Brewster has a climb rate of a little over 2,900 Ft/min  - a difference of 600+.

How does this compare to the A6M3's improvement over the A6M2? Pretty evenly, actually. Climb rate for the A6M2 is 2800 Ft/min and 3,400 Ft/min for the A6M3 - a difference of 600 Ft/min.

So by adding the A6M3, the historical difference in climb performance between the Zeke and Brewster is maintained. Sure the A6M3 has 40 more cannon rounds per gun, but the Finnish Brewster also turns tighter and quicker than a B-339E, so there are still advantages inherent to both over the historical match-up.

Neither the Finnish Brewster or the A6M3 is appropriate for Malaysia 1942, but adding the A6M3 makes having the Finnish Brewster as a substitute for the B-339E a viable option because the Finnish Brewster vs. A6M2 is a bad match-up.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 04:20:12 PM »
Devil,

Simple question. Are the B239 and the A6m3 equal? Which is more capable of dominating the fight?

That is why the A6m3 unbalances the FSO event.

I am in no way complaining about the setup. I am just saying your comparison of the A6m3 and B239 is wrong and Dantoos claim is more correct.

It is what it is. But let's be truthful, without the A6M3, the Jap planes are already far superior to the allied planes.

Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 05:27:11 PM »
Devil,

Simple question. Are the B239 and the A6m3 equal? Which is more capable of dominating the fight?

That is why the A6m3 unbalances the FSO event.

I am in no way complaining about the setup. I am just saying your comparison of the A6m3 and B239 is wrong and Dantoos claim is more correct.

It is what it is. But let's be truthful, without the A6M3, the Jap planes are already far superior to the allied planes.

The A6M3 makes having the Brewster balanced because the Brewster is the plane that breaks the setup.

Also, you Allies get to feast on Bettys. You have not grounds to complain about anything here. The 12 Brewsters last night got 1/2 of the total kills of the Axis.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 06:28:56 PM »
OK I see you are challenged in the reality department.

The 12 B239's shot down 21 of the 65 aircraft lost by the Japs. Not close to the 50% you stated.

It is a generally accepted part of the FSO experience that some squads see more action than others. In last night's frame The B239 group was lucky enough to come across not only some Betty's but the few Val's that were included in the frame.

Just dumb luck and the talented members of the 325th Checkertails VFG made the most of their good fortune.

In comparison the 9 guys of the 9GIAP VVDS RKKA (3 less pilots than the 325th) scored 23 kills (2 more than the 325th) in 8 gun armed Hurricanes.

You can now easily see your claim is not valid.

To put an end to this silliness, lets test your theory that the B239 is a match for the A6M3. I will put my modest skills against yours, me in a A6M3 and you in a B239. Best of 5 winner gets bragging rights to end this. 
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 06:47:33 PM »
I said The 235th scored a number that is half of the total the AXIS scored in terms of kills. 325th had 23 and ALL OF THE AXIS had 45.

Here's a dose of reality for you, every plane you are facing is essentially built of balsa wood, skinned in tin foil, and painted in rocket fuel.

God forbid everything is not 100% ideal for the Allies every single month.

You've got it made this month, suck it up.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 08:34:39 PM »
When you are right, you are right.

My side is outnumbered 68 to 50 and has slower, less maneuverable, weaker armed planes.

And some guy on the side with all the advantage is going to argue that a B239 will unbalance the planeset because that guy thinks it has the same impact as an A6M3.

WOW! Can't argue with that kind of reasoning.

I will just suck it up and enjoy the FSO.

BTW, considering the unbalanced planeset the allies had to deal with, they really did kick the axis' ass. Maybe next frame you can get some George's and Frank's to even out the slaughter.
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 08:36:58 PM »
When you are right, you are right.

My side is outnumbered 68 to 50 and has slower, less maneuverable, weaker armed planes.

And some guy on the side with all the advantage is going to argue that a B239 will unbalance the planeset because that guy thinks it has the same impact as an A6M3.

WOW! Can't argue with that kind of reasoning.

BTW, considering the unbalanced planeset the allies had to deal with, they really did kick the axis' ass. Maybe next frame you can get some George's and Frank's to even out the slaughter.

Bettys
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 05:31:32 AM »

Not as bad as the target bases got it
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys