Author Topic: my Future  (Read 852 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
my Future
« on: January 07, 2022, 03:14:11 PM »
Happy New Year folks,
Hoping 2022 will start an upward climb on the great circle of life.

So this is a question for the computer and software geeks. Its not really a question about Aces High but it is inspired by Aces High and Fighter Ace.

Is anyone familiar with Unity, its game engine and its flight engine?

I've officially retired. My greatest love in life has been airplanes. Specifically WW2 planes, jets do not interest me so much. I never really did much gaming but I did get involved quite a bit in the 2 above mentioned games, 1st Fighter Ace, then Aces High. I learned to build pc's for them, I built my own flight controls for them, I even tried modeling aircraft with blender. Now, I know nothing about program languages, but as modern computing grew I was able to use, limitedly, modern software. I'm a little oc/dc so I can focus down and learn how to use stuff. My life as a stagehand has taught me many different vocations and I'm not dumb.

I wanna make a flight sim a long the lines of Aces High and Fighter Ace and I want to know if Unity 3D is worth learning. I have a couple ideas about plane game scenarios, many I have posted about here in past, and well retirement allows me time to learn and possibly execute those ideas.

So what about Unity?

Hope hitech allows this question, he is one of my inspirations. Aces High will die someday and I want to continue something similar into future. Something based on real world flight physics but not strictly on known air combat history.

:airplane:
HARE
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: my Future
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 03:31:56 PM »
I thought Unity closed up !!  :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 05:26:03 PM »
So altho Unity has not closed up, it appears its on a downward spiral.
will keep looking for a way to get something going.
 :old:

In the mean time. gonna fix my flying rig up. and get back in after taxes are done. started collecting my pension so I think its time. looking forward to some flight time. hope my diy stick and peddles survived the move to upstate ny. wonder if my occulus rift will still be viable since zuckerbooger got a hold of company. the poor ppi was hard on the old eyeballs but will see.
 :x
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 05:34:06 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 05:52:24 PM »
So altho Unity has not closed up, it appears its on a downward spiral.
will keep looking for a way to get something going.
 :old:

In the mean time. gonna fix my flying rig up. and get back in after taxes are done. started collecting my pension so I think its time. looking forward to some flight time. hope my diy stick and peddles survived the move to upstate ny. wonder if my occulus rift will still be viable since zuckerbooger got a hold of company. the poor ppi was hard on the old eyeballs but will see.
 :x

LoL.  What makes you think Unity3D's popularity is falling?  News to me.

Not taking away anything from UE.  It's premier engine.  As far as I know Unity continues to gain in popularity.  Especially among mobile and indie developers.

$0.02. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 05:55:43 PM »

Are you a programmer?

Are you a C# programmer?

Have you done any simulation programming?

If the answer to all that is yes, you might play with this a little before opening any bigger cans of worms.  Not near AH level but it could get you started playing around to see if you even have a chance.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/silantro-flight-simulator-toolkit-128025

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.