Author Topic: How can 1 P-51 climb better than another P-51? Please help us figure this out  (Read 752 times)

Offline trogdor

• Zinc Member
I recently caught another player's P-51 in a climb to absolute ceiling (38k or so).
Can you see anything at all in the screenshots below that might explain why my P-51 (green/red) is faster and climbs better than the other guy's (silver/lime)?
This has been a real cause of confusion and concern. Help us solve this mystery!
 :noid

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:44:49 PM by trogdor »
"It's like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob out there."
- Patches O'Houlihan

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Fuel load? Trim slightly out of whack with one plane? Couple of guesses.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Trim for best climb is important, so is fuel load, and wing tank.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
Obvious Photoshop.
/s :lol

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
I recently caught another player's P-51 in a climb to absolute ceiling (38k or so).
Can you see anything at all in the screenshots below that might explain why my P-51 (green/red) is faster and climbs better than the other guy's (silver/lime)?
This has been a real cause of confusion and concern. Help us solve this mystery!
 :noid

Like the other guys said, fuel load and ammo affects the weight. I haven't looked at the clip but did you have WEP on? He might not have known about it/been out of WEP.

Lots of factors, it's probably not black magic.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline trogdor

• Zinc Member
Only thing i can figure is that GIGANTIC DROP TANK on the Moon's wing might in some crazy way add weight and drag. I guess we'll never know for sure.......
- Patches O'Houlihan

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
must have been a slow night....   seriously.... one...that is some real desperate running.... and two... that is some real determined chasing....

To be fair... there is a point in a chase where you sort of say.... yeah man... I'm chasing you as far as you want to go ..just to be a pain in the butt.... (for those who are not tied to an umbilical and could care less about score and death that is)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
Only thing i can figure is that GIGANTIC DROP TANK on the Moon's wing might in some crazy way add weight and drag. I guess we'll never know for sure.......

:rofl :rofl

Yep, that'll do it!

Really makes you wonder what the hell he was doing with one DT, must've been a pain in the rear to fly like that.....
Turn n' Burn!

Offline John

• Zinc Member
I'm interested in acquiring the full video. Could you please attach the full sorte? How did this engagement at 38k even occur?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:24:06 AM by John »

Offline trogdor

• Zinc Member
I'm interested in acquiring the full video. Could you please attach the full sorte? How did this engagement at 38k even occur?

Thanks

Here's the video. I began recording shortly after visual contact.
The only action begins at 15:10.
I run out of fuel at about 17:00.
Embrace the boredom.
- Patches O'Houlihan

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
:rofl :rofl

Yep, that'll do it!

Really makes you wonder what the hell he was doing with one DT, must've been a pain in the rear to fly like that.....

Combat trim and/or auto trim make it easy to ignore a single bomb or drop tank. Some people use drop tanks so they can carry 25% in their internal tanks for fighting.