Author Topic: hp Reverb G1 cable mod - fixed my Reverb G1  (Read 692 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
hp Reverb G1 cable mod - fixed my Reverb G1
« on: May 23, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
Hey I don't know how many people out there have first gen Reverbs, but I just fixed mine using the cable bypass mod found on Reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/n9tq7q/g1_cable_mod/

Mine was in the closet gathering dust and I was thinking about selling it for parts.  I just built a new Intel-based PC to replace my aging Ryzen 7 build.  So I thought I'd try the Reverb with the new system, since there are known issues with Reverbs and AMD-based systems.  Based on its behavior - working for a second until I turn my head, then blacking out - reseating the USB cord into a different port fixed the issue briefly, but always recurred.   Just seemed clearly like a connection problem.

I found a post about this cable mod, and another post that said the majority of the problems with the Reverb were from the internal mini-Display port right angle connector and the pigtail cable leading out of the headset.   Decided to give it a try, as the unit was basically scrap value to me now.   Looks like crap, but solved the connection problem!

My son has a cheap 3D printer and he''s going to print me the bracket described in the article so the cable is seated more firmly.  But it survived a couple of flights last night without issue.

I really appreciate the lighter weight of the Reverb over the Oculus Quest 2, with its heavy battery.   And the Reverb has a little better resolution and a slightly wider FOV.   But the overly stiff cable is a big negative.   The Quest 2 has far better hand controllers but I don't use those anyway.   

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: hp Reverb G1 cable mod - fixed my Reverb G1
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 11:27:22 AM »
Better example of the fix:

The cable that is now plugged into the headset's motherboard display port is the hacked end of the long cable - the little pigtail cable & right angle mini dispaly port plug is removed completely...