Author Topic: Would any of you consider this a Head On?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Would any of you consider this a Head On?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2023, 11:14:39 AM »
HOs happened in real WW 2 dogfights as well, so what is this fuss about it?

The difference is in war you did what ever you had to to be the one who went home after the fight. Here it's a game.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 11:22:45 AM »

Congrats on another kill Sis, I didnt even spill my gin and tonic  :aok

That would be unforgivable  :cheers:

So the consensus seems to be “No-Ho”. The ol’ slide on a shot opportunity to prolong a fight is a whole other debate, but it is not something I’ll typically do the MA. I love a good fight as much as the next guy, but to me it’s the dance of death. Pre-determined rules and gentlemen’s agreements are for the DA, or atleast a 200 call out prior to the merge.

Another point Id add is how much I hate shooting from the 6 O’clock position, especially with the 109. In my fight with fug you may notice I blow my first shot horribly. Anyway as I said I just wanted the opinion of others. I’m no way am I trying to boast or showboat how horribly addicted I am to this game. 
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2023, 01:25:27 AM »
The difference is in war you did what ever you had to to be the one who went home after the fight. Here it's a game.

So methods used in real war are forbidden in war game which claims to be realistic? I think we are again in a situation between virtual pilots and gamers.

Over and out, carry on.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2023, 02:04:37 AM »
So methods used in real war are forbidden in war game which claims to be realistic? I think we are again in a situation between virtual pilots and gamers.

They aren't forbidden they just conflict with the motivation and reason a lot of people choose to play the game. I'd never fly like I do in AH in a real war. Well, not for long anyway  :rofl
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2023, 02:28:22 AM »
I’m no way am I trying to boast or showboat how horribly addicted I am to this game.

Which specific bit sustains your addiction?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2023, 06:47:20 PM »
Which specific bit sustains your addiction?

I'd say the VR has kept me hooked thus far coupled with my familiarity with AH's flight model. I don't think I could ever do a flight sim without VR again and if I'm gonna move to DCS or IL2 im gonna get a full pedal throttle and flight seat setup.
I still love AH's sandbox style, I really hope it gets a second wind or something to keep it relevant for the coming years.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2023, 10:07:31 AM »
I doubt you'll like the flight model in iL2.  DCS is nice for helicopters and jets and every switch working. It doesn't have the feel that AH3 does for propellor flight.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2023, 10:28:55 AM »
The NO HO club goes all the way back to Air Warrior. The premise is that a novice might shoot down an ACE with the only shot in his trick bag when the ACE is supposed to win. Quelle horreur!  Using this lame excuse to cry about a front quarter shot or a turning snap shot makes one an ACE, entitled to all the honors, medals and ribbons that entails.  :aok

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2023, 10:34:34 AM »
The NO HO club goes all the way back to Air Warrior. The premise is that a novice might shoot down an ACE with the only shot in his trick bag when the ACE is supposed to win. Quelle horreur!  Using this lame excuse to cry about a front quarter shot or a turning snap shot makes one an ACE, entitled to all the honors, medals and ribbons that entails.  :aok

No, head on shots didnt register in AW, in AW it was just considered lame and not about ACM and the fight
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2023, 11:08:12 AM »
No, head on shots didnt register in AW, in AW it was just considered lame and not about ACM and the fight

I think you're both right.  AW head-on shots occasionally worked, but the hit percentage was drastically reduced, so that it was just blind luck to get a kill that way.

Remember as well that you could fly right through the oncoming enemy plane!

- oldman

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2023, 08:54:33 AM »
I doubt you'll like the flight model in iL2.  DCS is nice for helicopters and jets and every switch working. It doesn't have the feel that AH3 does for propellor flight.

I don’t fly either. But the videos I watched have a lameness, totally uninterested in how those sims run. Everywhere I read comparing AH FM to the others, AH tends to come out on top in FM

That said ya never see closeups of their terrains. Pretty from a distance?

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2023, 09:01:12 AM »

I think you're both right.  AW head-on shots occasionally worked, but the hit percentage was drastically reduced, so that it was just blind luck to get a kill that way.

- oldman

HOs and ramming are rampant in AH. One squad relies on them, all of them will use it.

Therefore, go nose to nose with me and I’ll hold the fire button down as far as 2k out until the clueless dweeb passes, rams me, or dies, or I die. Usually I flash warning shots at 2,500. After that I’ll empty every round into them. Its true dweebery. In AW ya got shamed. In here they made it into an art form.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2023, 09:27:29 AM »

- oldman

The hit bubble in earlier AW was based on a randomizer data. It was not a surface strike. I don’t recall deliberately changing HO shots, that may have been server side. I just fon’t remember doing it. It prolly took me a month of trying different data to find a honey spot of realism. This had to be done for a more realistic damage model. If it was weaker it would have been right before AW M/III. We tried to make HO not worth the effort, but didn’t kill it totally.

In RL, ya prolly died, in game world you could just re-up a new plane. And that is the unrealistic part. HOs and ramming did actually happen in RL as a desperate act, mostly by germans against buffs. But ya could only do it once. Lol
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2023, 09:42:13 AM »
Avoiding the HO is the best ACM maneuver you can make. It A. Sets you up for a merge tactic to gain the advantage of your opponent, B. Prevents you from dying 85% of the time.
 (Made up Stat but probably close). C. Prevents a collision, D. Saves ammo, E. Helps you keep E better. And on and on. HOing should be a last ditch effort if absolutely have to in 1v1 or 1v2+ situation. Generally you are both closing your eyes praying at that point your bullets hit first. Many times, especially in large furball situations, it's impervious your shoot front quarter shots and planes flying above you but at your 12 that might not see you. The goal is to damage the enemy at all costs to help your teammates. Even in furballs, if you know the guy is going to be directly head on with you, it's best to duck and dip at all costs to avoid it while trying to set up an emmilman or extend depending on the situation. Sometimes doing an emmilman in a furball isn't the best choice as going up like that can make your vulnerable to pickers. The chances you will come out alive or un damaged are extremely slim if you try to HO. Best to dodge it come out alive and plan a different attack on the opponent.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »
Depends on the planes and the numbers

Like planes and 1v1 or 1v2 and you can try t&b

Outnumbered or someone you know will just in a faster plane run gets it in the face especially if I'm in g2 with gonds

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals